Omnibus Appropriation Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:52:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Omnibus Appropriation Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Omnibus Appropriation Bill  (Read 5064 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: December 14, 2004, 12:55:07 PM »

*A voice from the public gallery...*

While I won't be sworn in for a while yet, I think that if the outgoing Senate passes this it will be a big mistake.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »

As this seems to contain the same as the Federal Budget effectively, I shall quote my statement on that and say that I hope for a resounding Nay in the Senate.

I oppose this proposed budget. I will lay out the major grounds on which I disagree with this budget, there are a few of these and look at a few of the more minor reasons.

Firstly, I oppose the removal of all international aid as I think as the most developed nation of the world we should attempt to spread the wealth around a little more and attempt to reduce poverty in the developing world. By abolishing all international development aid we condemn the poorer nations of the world to a future of abject poverty which they are unable to escape.

Secondly I oppose the idea of scrapping regional and community aid as this merely has the same effect as the first of my objections except within Atlasia. Such proposals lead to huge inconsistencies in wealth which I cannot support.

Thirdly I oppose the education cuts, whilst I do not support huge education hikes, I do not support suge huge reductions as I see these as being totally detrimental to the future of Atlasia with children not in a stable learning condition.

Fourthly I oppose cuts in social welfare programmes that are so high, whilst some programmes need to be cut and unemployment benefits should be returned to being more of a safety net than a way of life, I see these cuts as far too great to be acceptable. I also oppose cuts in medical spending.

To me this budget would be greatly detrimental to Atlasian society and I cannot support that.

*Applause*
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 12:21:23 PM »

communities are gradually weened off of government aid

Which would be a death sentence to thousands of poverty stricken communities all across Atlasia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:55:56 PM »

Besides, giving money to the poor does not encourage them to better themselves.  It encourages them to continue being poor.

I thought that kind of attitude died in the depression

You must be logged in to read this quote.

By better job do you mean a better job at improving peoples lives (hah!) or do you mean "costs-me-less-money-so-I-can-go-get-myself-a-new-SUV"?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 06:01:12 PM »

Besides, giving money to the poor does not encourage them to better themselves.  It encourages them to continue being poor.

I thought that kind of attitude died in the depression

It never died.  It continues to be true. 

What has the Great Society done to impact poverty rates?  Absolutely nothing. 

If we expanded the Great Society, what would it do to poverty rates?  Absolutely nothing, in fact it might increase them, as it would encourage more people to be poor.

Some achievements of the ARC/ARDA:

*In the mid-60's, infant mortality in much of Appalachia was twice the national average. It's now more-or-less at the national average and is only signifincantly higher in a few remote counties.

*Primary healthcare is now within a 30 minute drive for pretty much everyone in Appalachia (this was achieved in 1985)

*Many communities once plauged by chronic water shortages now benifit from dramatic increases in water supply

*In 1965 one in every three Appalachians lived in poverty, more than twice the national average. This number has since been cut in half and Appalachia's poverty rate is now only about 1 and a half percentage points above the national average. Since 1965 per capita income has risen by nearly five points to 81% of the national average

*ARC/ARDA has been responsible for the rehabilitation and construction of over 15,000 housing units

*In 1965 only 32% of Appalachians finished high school. It's now 76%.

*Outmigration has declined markedly

*Over 3,000 miles of highway has been built as part of the Appalachian Development Highway System

And they've done a lot of other stuff as well... but there's still a hell of a lot of work needs doing... (check out www.arc.gov) if funding for Regional Development is slashed it will be one of the biggest disasters to hit my constituents in living memory.

As the recent Mid Term elections have proved there is no mandate and very little support for these sort of cuts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies