Gerrymandering Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:02:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gerrymandering Canada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Gerrymandering Canada  (Read 21002 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »

Now with the poll by poll maps out, it should be relatively easy to make maps that would help certain parties win seats.

When I saw how well the NDP did in much of Ottawa-Vanier, I set out to gerrymander a 2nd seat for the NDP in Ottawa:

Both seats have between 105,000 and 110,000 which is ideal.

I was fooling around with Toronto last night, and I might be able to get 14 NDP seats there Cheesy

Any gerrymander requests?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »

I'm curious to see how many non-conservative seats can we get gerrymandering Alberta. Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

I'm curious to see how many non-conservative seats can we get gerrymandering Alberta. Grin

I left the current NDP riding (Edmonton-Strathcona) alone, and was able to create a new NDP riding in the city from parts of Edmonton Centre and Edmonton East. That's probably the best I could do.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214668381355121949879.0004a89893b55720f76af

Might be too big populationwise, if so, cut the southeast out; same result. NDP seat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »

It's easy to gerrymander an NDP riding into Saskatoon. Try gerrymandering 2 ridings!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214668381355121949879.0004a898a0648711e72eb here's 2 in Regina
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »

Drawing a single NDP riding in Saskatoon would hardly be gerrymandering...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

Considering as I posted in the other thread, the NDP lost in Saskatoon in 3 of the 4 Saskatoon ridings, and in the other, did well because of the Candidate, I'd say it is.

Regardless:
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214668381355121949879.0004a898b837837bb0c17
Peel region Liberal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

Here's my Saskatoon map:

Each riding has about 70,000 which is the provincial average
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

2 NDP seats in Regina. Ralph Goodale would be upset, he'd probably lose in a more ruralized Wascana riding.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »

How about a Conservative seat on the Montreal Island?
DL
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

One thing that will be very interesting will be what happens in downtown Toronto. Right now because of all the new development and condo construction, Olivia Chow's Trinity-Spadina seat is seriously over-populated and so is Toronto Centre. Its almost certain that a new seat will have to carved out there.

Ideally, I'd like to see Rosedale lopped off and merged with Forest Hill and or Leaside and create a "vote sink" that is all really wealthy NDP dead zones.

You could also easily create another NDP seat on vancouver island.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

I've one-upped Teddy again by creating two Liberal seats in Peel Region (and one NDP seat)

One thing that will be very interesting will be what happens in downtown Toronto. Right now because of all the new development and condo construction, Olivia Chow's Trinity-Spadina seat is seriously over-populated and so is Toronto Centre. Its almost certain that a new seat will have to carved out there.

Ideally, I'd like to see Rosedale lopped off and merged with Forest Hill and or Leaside and create a "vote sink" that is all really wealthy NDP dead zones.

Why make those seats super NDP safe, when you can make 14 NDP ridings in Toronto, by stretching out the waterfront into suburban hinterland? Cheesy [the answer is obvious, I know, but what's the fun in that?]
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

I was shocked the NDP won the condo area, even if narrowly. It tells me that any new districts might not harm the NDP as much as is feared.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

thanks to the airport, this is a hell of a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214668381355121949879.0004a89a249151dc67ed6

I call the riding "Trudeau" just to piss off the Conservatives XD
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2011, 03:49:43 PM by Hatman »

I did one too!

From the looks of it, Teddy's probably doesn't have enough people. I also included a neighbourhood in St Laurent that voted Conservative. And while Trudeau may not be the worst name for the riding (actually, a fairly good one- what with the airport and part of his old riding- but I'm against naming ridings after people), I gave it a more geographical name.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »

New challenge: gerrymander Ottawa-Orleans to elect the Liberal.
DL
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »

Its interesting that in Australia many (if not most) ridings (they call them "electorates") are named after historical figures and not after the places in the ridings. Just about every Australian PM who is not still living has a riding named after him etc...

BTW: While creating a Liberal riding in Peel requires serious gerrymandering - making an NDP-friendly Gore-Malton is dead easy and is even likely since Brampton will almost certainly get an extra seat after redistribition. Right now Brampton West is the most heavily populated riding in Canada!

We could probably also create a third NDP seat in Surrey, BC
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »

It's funny that whenever I "gerrymander" an NDP seat, it always looks normal, but gerrymandering the other parties requires some work and funny looking districts. That'll change when I do Toronto and a 75 NDP seat Quebec Cheesy
DL
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

2 NDP seats in Regina. Ralph Goodale would be upset, he'd probably lose in a more ruralized Wascana riding.

Regina Wascana is a bit deceptive because most of the people who would normally vote NDP are voting for Goodale (for some strange reason). The moment he quits Wascana will be another Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca and the successor to Goodale will be lucky to save their deposit. Without Goodale, Wascana would actually be the most NDP-friendly seat in the province.
adma
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

Without Goodale, Wascana would actually be the most NDP-friendly seat in the province.

Or at least, the most Tory-unfriendly--at least from appearances, because it has less rural hinterland than the others.  But it does contain some of Regina's more affluent zones, to the point where the "NDP-friendliness" is counteracted by a St Paul's or (pre-this-past-election) Winnipeg SC tendency.  Which Goodale, being a Liberal, is well equipped to straddle.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

I don't know if you could make an ugly seat packing the rez all around AB with some urban areas which are not too Tory with Banff and Jasper.
DL
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »

Without Goodale, Wascana would actually be the most NDP-friendly seat in the province.

Or at least, the most Tory-unfriendly--at least from appearances, because it has less rural hinterland than the others.  But it does contain some of Regina's more affluent zones, to the point where the "NDP-friendliness" is counteracted by a St Paul's or (pre-this-past-election) Winnipeg SC tendency.  Which Goodale, being a Liberal, is well equipped to straddle.

But this is Regina not Toronto. Some of the wealthiest old-money enclaves in Regina are in Palliser - and the NDP won those polls by an overwhelming margin.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »

Old money is not Harper friendly. Harper is New money friendly.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

Regina Wascana is a bit deceptive because most of the people who would normally vote NDP are voting for Goodale (for some strange reason). The moment he quits Wascana will be another Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca and the successor to Goodale will be lucky to save their deposit. Without Goodale, Wascana would actually be the most NDP-friendly seat in the province.

Well, this gerrymander is taking into account Ralph Goodale still being around. Although, it might encourage him to retire.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies