Ghanian minister calls for gays to be rounded up.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:34:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ghanian minister calls for gays to be rounded up.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ghanian minister calls for gays to be rounded up.  (Read 1492 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »
« edited: July 22, 2011, 04:41:16 AM by afleitch »

Just to remind people this sort of nonsense isn't confined to Uganda.

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2011/07/21/ghana-cracks-down-on-gays/57436

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/ghana-official-calls-for-effort-to-round-up-suspected-gays-2318507.html

"In a new burst of African homophobia, a government minister in Ghana has drawn support after calling on the country's intelligence services to track down and arrest all gays and lesbians.

The call from Paul Evans Aidoo, the minister for the Western Region of Ghana, marks the latest in a series of expressions of officially condoned homophobia across the continent, which has previously been seen in Malawi, Uganda and South Africa.

Joy FM, a popular radio station in the capital Accra, reported earlier this week that Mr Aidoo, a Catholic, said: "All efforts are being made to get rid of these people in society." He called for the Bureau of National Investigations to round up gays and called on landlords and tenants to inform on people they suspect of being homosexual. "Once they have been arrested, they will be brought before the law," he is reported to have said."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:58:57 AM »

Well getting them rounded up as opposed to putting them to death is a necessary step forward before acceptance. There are political considerations, here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:02:28 AM »

So African Christians are more funked up than American Fundi Christians....or do they just have more power?  Or is this more of a cultural thing?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »

Generally speaking, religious people in non-developed countries tend to be insaner than in developed countries. (more poverty, less education?)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:42 AM »

Oops on the thread title. Been fixed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:26:31 AM »

Oops on the thread title. Been fixed.

Lol! Was the line about Uganda in the original post as well? Wink

(that many states in Africa are insanely homophobic is sad but also sadly unsurprising)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »

(that many states in Africa are insanely homophobic is sad but also sadly unsurprising)

Visits by American pastors hosting conferences saying gays are child molesters responsible for the holocaust don't help either. Especially when those who drafted, in Uganda, the 'kill the gays' bill were in attendance. Glasgow is home to an increasing number of West African migrants. No worries there but it presents us with a new strain of, at times agressive homophobia which is not so easily challeged due to our desire to be 'culturally sensitive.' Roll Eyes
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2011, 06:31:18 AM by Verily »

So African Christians are more funked up than American Fundi Christians....or do they just have more power?  Or is this more of a cultural thing?

In this case, it is mostly as Afleitch says. The African Christians weren't particularly radically homophobic until American missionaries and priests came preaching fire and brimstone within the past twenty years and starting blaming teh gheys for famines and birth defects and witchcraft and terrorism and the Holocaust, and made listening to their speeches a prerequisite to receiving church-provided aid. African Catholics are still not all that radical, so this is somewhat surprising (but Ghana is mostly Protestant). Most of the Protestants have been converted by radical American pastors (even if they remain nominally Anglican or whatever).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:12 AM »

Visits by American pastors hosting conferences saying gays are child molesters responsible for the holocaust don't help either. Especially when those who drafted, in Uganda, the 'kill the gays' bill were in attendance. Glasgow is home to an increasing number of West African migrants. No worries there but it presents us with a new strain of, at times agressive homophobia which is not so easily challeged due to our desire to be 'culturally sensitive.' Roll Eyes

The left's stand on racism, homophobia and misogynism among immigrants is always amusing. It shows why basing one's opinions on a desire to be political correct (and on what makes cool t-shirt slogans) rather than on carefully considered principeles isn't such a good idea.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

That's a shame, because Ghana is really making great strides towards becoming a leader in Africa.

Hopefully some undersecretary @ State picked up the phone and delivered a friendly but firm "STFU".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »

Part of the problem is the legacy of the old colonial borders.  In most of Africa, there is no reason to feel allegiance to a nation-state because these states aren't really nations.  So politicians need something other than patriotism to stir the people.  Graft and corruption will only take you so far.  Stimulating ethnic tensions lead you down the path to becoming another Yugoslavia, Rwanda, or Cote d'Ivoire which no sane politician wants.  On the other hand, gay-bashing ensures that you've set up the scapegoats to be a small minority for which it is easier for moderates to simply keep quiet lest they be thought to be gay too.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »

The left's stand on racism, homophobia and misogynism among immigrants is always amusing. It shows why basing one's opinions on a desire to be political correct (and on what makes cool t-shirt slogans) rather than on carefully considered principeles isn't such a good idea.

Your strange 'left' bashing is a bit strange considering that contemporary African homophobia (as Afleitch pointed out) is not native to Africa and actually is often transported there by missionaries from the west. But whatever... let's make Africa yet again the sight of white man's political discussions and ignore the native specifics (which is not to say that I o/c defend this).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »

I thought Ghana was one of the less bigoted African countries?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

I thought Ghana was one of the less bigoted African countries?
It is.  That's why it makes this all the more worrying.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

Your strange 'left' bashing is a bit strange considering that contemporary African homophobia (as Afleitch pointed out) is not native to Africa and actually is often transported there by missionaries from the west. But whatever... let's make Africa yet again the sight of white man's political discussions and ignore the native specifics (which is not to say that I o/c defend this).

Are you saying that African politics is all dependent on the white man and that we should not make a discussion about Africa about the white man? Or am I missing something?

You seem to think that my point relies on African homophobia being "natural" or "native" to Africa (whatever you may mean by those terms). But it doesn't.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2011, 05:52:03 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

Are you saying that African politics is all dependent on the white man and that we should not make a discussion about Africa about the white man? Or am I missing something?

You seem to think that my point relies on African homophobia being "natural" or "native" to Africa (whatever you may mean by those terms). But it doesn't.

No, my point was that a large part of Africa's problems are due to application of various 'western' theories whether they be virulent evangelical christanity or neo-liberalism, while dismissing what is native as irrelevant or savage or 'archaic*'. In reality, African homophobia is as much a modern phenomenon as the internet, mobile phones or large international wars in part caused by technological consumer booms in the west. That, and I was getting bored of your whole "LOL the left" refrain. Seriously, talk about broken record.

* - I should add that the concept of a native culture especially (though not only) in the context of African urban politics (and virulent African homophobia iirc is mostly an urban phenomenon), is actually quite a strange one.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »

No, my point was that a large part of Africa's problems are due to application of various 'western' theories whether they be virulent evangelical christanity or neo-liberalism, while dismissing what is native as irrelevant or savage or 'archaic*'. In reality, African homophobia is as much a modern phenomenon as the internet, mobile phones or large international wars in part caused by technological consumer booms in the west. That, and I was getting bored of your whole "LOL the left" refrain. Seriously, talk about broken record.

* - I should add that the concept of a native culture especially (though not only) in the context of African urban politics (and virulent African homophobia iirc is mostly an urban phenomenon), is actually quite a strange one.

So...you think that a discussion about Africa needs to be about the Western influence in Africa. And you think they don't have a native culture. And you're accusing me of a) thinking a discussion about Africa needs to be about Western influence in Africa (which seems inconsistent and b) thinking Africa has a native culture or something (which I never claimed).

And you dislike that I dislike the left's hypocrisy on value issues.

Did I get it all down or do you have other grievances to air?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »

A new jmfcst's hero arrives!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »

At least Rhea County, TN decided not to go through with their plans.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 04:08:55 AM »

Now i'm glad that we defeated them in the world cup.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 06:28:32 AM »

So...you think that a discussion about Africa needs to be about the Western influence in Africa. And you think they don't have a native culture. And you're accusing me of a) thinking a discussion about Africa needs to be about Western influence in Africa (which seems inconsistent and b) thinking Africa has a native culture or something (which I never claimed).

Blatant hackery is blatant. What have I said that fits into the "Left's hypocrisy (*yawn*) on values issues"

Please define what 'native culture' is before we continue.

Now of course the reasons why Africa has been so fertile for outside evangelical groups is another thing, but I have no idea what the answer is. (Except that making distinction ourselves - big enlightened westerners (lulz) and big scary archaic Africans is hardly the best way to solving this mess).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:21 AM »

Blatant hackery is blatant. What have I said that fits into the "Left's hypocrisy (*yawn*) on values issues"

Please define what 'native culture' is before we continue.

Now of course the reasons why Africa has been so fertile for outside evangelical groups is another thing, but I have no idea what the answer is. (Except that making distinction ourselves - big enlightened westerners (lulz) and big scary archaic Africans is hardly the best way to solving this mess).

I never said you fit into the left's hypocrisy. You attacked me on the issue, so I noted your dislike of my position. Why you have that dislike is still a bit unclear to me, so I've not assumed that you fit into it.

I don't see why I need to define native culture. You were the one to introduce the concept into this discussion. I just noted that it wasn't relevant to me. If you want to make it relevant I think it would be appropriate for you to define it.

I don't think I made any allusions to big, scary Africans. You seem to be making assumptions about my position that are untrue. That might help you defeat some strawman but it doesn't really advance the discussion very much.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »

Well getting them rounded up as opposed to putting them to death is a necessary step forward before acceptance. There are political considerations, here.

Baby steps! We're moving on up!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies