Does anyone know what the hell this is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does anyone know what the hell this is?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone know what the hell this is?  (Read 1257 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

http://www.americanselect.org/

Smells a lot like Unity08
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »

According to this blog, it's exactly the same thing, except they're actually trying to get on the ballot this time.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »

What happens if I "become a delegate"?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »

A very liberal site. 75% believe abortions should be legal in most cases or at all times.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »

A very liberal site. 75% believe abortions should be legal in most cases or at all times.

Abortions aren't a liberal-conservative issue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Interesting. I will keep a eye on this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:14:33 PM »

Abortions aren't a liberal-conservative issue.
Maybe so, but it certainly gives you an idea of the tilt of the forum, combined with other responses.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:29 AM »

What I don't really get is who they think the candidate for this is going to be. Can they just put whomever they want on the ballot in these states without the individual's consent? Are they anticipating that prominent individuals will want to do this once it's proven that ballot access is available?

Is this all a Bloomberg plot?
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »

I've signed up as a "delegate" to help pick a nice liberal third party ticket so all the disgruntled Democrats will have a choice and won't have to vote for Obama
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »

Tom Friedman is pushing these guys, he thinks they are "centrist", which shows just how far left he (and the rest of the mainstream media) is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24friedman.html
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »

Can they just put whomever they want on the ballot in these states without the individual's consent?

I don't know about most states, but in MT and LA at least you can; minor parties put Ron Paul on the November 2008 ballot in those two states without Paul ever filing for a general election candidacy.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »

Tom Friedman is pushing these guys, he thinks they are "centrist", which shows just how far left he (and the rest of the mainstream media) is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24friedman.html

Or perhaps how far right (and the rest of the fringe media) is.

If it's "mainstream" it's not "far" left.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »

well, when I answer yes on the first question, it tells me, "go ahead and vote your side" with a picture of a donkey and an elephant.  Then you can click on one of those two icons.

If I answer no, then it tells me that I can decide upon what issues matter to me, and which candidates' views match mine, and that I can even help nominate candidates directly, if I click on "How does this work?" 

So I follow that trail...

First, I set some priorities.  (mine are Economy and Education, maximum, Energy and Foreign policy, sort of high, Immigration and Healthcare, medium, Social Issues, low.) 

Oh, sh**t.  Now, I have to sign up, create an account to continue...

Ah, interestingly, if I cancel and come back, even in the same tab, the choices are rotated.  That's fresh.  This time I'll do "just keep me posted" and I'll use my motown (heywood jablomi) email account.  If I get any email from them I can delete it.  If it happens often, I'll unsubscribe. 

D'oh.  Okay, all I get for my trouble is "okay, we'll keep you posted."

Okay, I'm hooked, I'll sign up using a genuine fake name and a genuine fake email address.

Now I get to tell them what I think.  First question is "what do we do about budget?"  I suppose it's because I made economy a priority.  Well, I chose a mix of spending cuts and tax increases.  I think that's reasonably close to my position.

Next question is energy.  Let's see...  Okay, so they want to know if I want investment in renewables, more drilling, or a mix of both.  I'll go with a mix of both.

Next is healthcare.  Government limited role. 

Next is immigration.  Amnesty for all current undocumented aliens.

Foreign policy:  US acts in its own interests.  period.

Education.  They pluralize curriculum is a strange way.  I find it distracting.  Voted unsure.]

Social.  Equal rights for same-sex marriages. 

Alright, now I get "congrats, you're finished, connect with like-minded people?  Or answer more questions?"  I'll answer more questions.

Now, they get into more specific stuff, like "Children today are better off than they were 20 years ago.  Agree or disagree?"  Who the hell knows?  Let's see...  I'll go with unsure. 

Anyway, there are loads of broad questions with cheesey, broad answer choices that are pretty standard fare.  Not much new here.  I'll answer them as well as I can. 

Alright, I answered all 64 questions.  I'm told I'll be updated with more questions later. 

It seems legit.  They look like they want to hear from lots of people, find out what's important to them, and find some candidates with those priorities.  It'll take money, though, and I didn't give them any.  I suppose if they can get some funding then they'll try to get somebody on ballots.  I'm always for having more than two choices for President, so I'd recommend at least logging in and answering their questions, if you have the time and inclination.  Took me about 25 minutes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »

Bloomberg is delivering remarks later today on the debt ceiling... makes you wonder...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies