GOP Makes Big Gains among White Voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:08:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  GOP Makes Big Gains among White Voters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP Makes Big Gains among White Voters  (Read 3627 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »

[
Let's be clear, you didn't actually read the OP. If you had, you would notice that females have moved more Republican than men have.

The post that I quoted by ReaganFan spoke of angry white men being the deciding the election and that's what I was referring to. I mistakenly referred to it as the OP, but the point stands, angry white men already came out in 2008 in droves, there aren't anymore for Republican to tap into.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2011, 08:05:31 PM by krazen1211 »

White people react unfavorably to a black President.

Shocker.

Whites reacted equally poorly to James Carter and Michael Dukakis. McGovern of course lost whites by 36%.

The Anglo white share of the voting population has dropped significantly since 2000, let alone the 1970s.

Yes, sir, that is true. Which is why a 20% lead among whites only delivers a narrow victory and not a blowout. But it is not an unreasonable target as we have achieved such before.
milhouse24
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »

[
Let's be clear, you didn't actually read the OP. If you had, you would notice that females have moved more Republican than men have.

The post that I quoted by ReaganFan spoke of angry white men being the deciding the election and that's what I was referring to. I mistakenly referred to it as the OP, but the point stands, angry white men already came out in 2008 in droves, there aren't anymore for Republican to tap into.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The White male vote was a swing vote who voted for Obama based on anti-war, the economic problems under Bush in 2008, and general anti-Bush sentiment.  The White Male came out in droves, but they voted for Obama.
Now they are disenchanted with Obama and the continuing economic problems, and they will vote for the GOP candidate.  I don't think Obama can win with just Black voters and White female voters. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

They basically should just change their name to the Honky Cracker Party....
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The White male vote was a swing vote who voted for Obama based on anti-war, the economic problems under Bush in 2008, and general anti-Bush sentiment.  The White Male came out in droves, but they voted for Obama.
Now they are disenchanted with Obama and the continuing economic problems, and they will vote for the GOP candidate.  I don't think Obama can win with just Black voters and White female voters. 

Read again, I was referring to one poster who stated that there was a huge number of angry white males waiting to vote in 2012 and angry white males are usually always Republican voters. Any white males that voted for Obama would not fall in that category. I'm not arguing about what will happen in a year, because predictions this early can be very wrong.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »

[

No. White male vote is never a swing vote in a presidential. Ever. Check out any exit poll from any year. White men, as a whole, are reliably at least 60-40 GOP voters.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »

Anybody else think this swing could be the last of the Dixiecrats going GOP?   I doubt there is much movement in white male vote in any other region of the country.  I don't see any reason for it.
AUH2O Libertarian
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »

Anybody else think this swing could be the last of the Dixiecrats going GOP?   I doubt there is much movement in white male vote in any other region of the country.  I don't see any reason for it.

Actually the website details the movement by region.  The GOP's biggest gain with white voters was in the midwest.
Nichlemn

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:29 AM »

[

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The White male vote was a swing vote who voted for Obama based on anti-war, the economic problems under Bush in 2008, and general anti-Bush sentiment.  The White Male came out in droves, but they voted for Obama.
Now they are disenchanted with Obama and the continuing economic problems, and they will vote for the GOP candidate.  I don't think Obama can win with just Black voters and White female voters.  

White males voted 57-41 for McCain (a margin slightly smaller than Reagan's national margin in 1984).

If we're looking at "angry" white males, in the broadest sense white men prone to anger are presumably more Republican than white men as a whole (being disproportionately Southern and socially conservative), so that would put them about 62-36. If we go by the Wikipedia definition of angry white men as "a white male who holds traditional conservative views", then they would be much more Republican. Either way, angry white males are far too Republican for the Democrats to attempt to win a majority of (though they can of course try to reduce the margins they lose by).

But overall I think these demographic exercises are pretty useless. They're the fodder of lazy journalists desperate to spin stories out of voting patterns. Someone like Nate Silver would never put much weight on such breakdowns, except to criticise those who do. It can matter for electoral strategy, but as a form of prognotistication it's almost certainly better to just look at polling for all voters (or all voters in swing states). Ultimately, if a candidate can get to 270 electoral votes, it doesn't matter what the breakdown of the coalition look like.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »

White males won't be Democtratic for long time now. Lot of this has to do with Fox News and the way it's the party for their wifes, blacks, latinos/hispanics, activist and the most important of this group welfare. Unless you live in Left Coast or Northeast, the white male vote is not critcally when it goes down to the rest of the country.  Minnesota is one state that Dems can win the white male vote that not on the coasts. I wonder that if men are less religious then women, why do majority of men vote for the Republican party? I think the Dems have the agnostic/atheist vote with libertarians bring even more agnostic/atheist members. Do issues like gay marriage scare young white males in OK? Someone from this area can explain this to me.
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »

[

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The White male vote was a swing vote who voted for Obama based on anti-war, the economic problems under Bush in 2008, and general anti-Bush sentiment.  The White Male came out in droves, but they voted for Obama.
Now they are disenchanted with Obama and the continuing economic problems, and they will vote for the GOP candidate.  I don't think Obama can win with just Black voters and White female voters.  

White males voted 57-41 for McCain (a margin slightly smaller than Reagan's national margin in 1984).

If we're looking at "angry" white males, in the broadest sense white men prone to anger are presumably more Republican than white men as a whole (being disproportionately Southern and socially conservative), so that would put them about 62-36. If we go by the Wikipedia definition of angry white men as "a white male who holds traditional conservative views", then they would be much more Republican. Either way, angry white males are far too Republican for the Democrats to attempt to win a majority of (though they can of course try to reduce the margins they lose by).

But overall I think these demographic exercises are pretty useless. They're the fodder of lazy journalists desperate to spin stories out of voting patterns. Someone like Nate Silver would never put much weight on such breakdowns, except to criticise those who do. It can matter for electoral strategy, but as a form of prognotistication it's almost certainly better to just look at polling for all voters (or all voters in swing states). Ultimately, if a candidate can get to 270 electoral votes, it doesn't matter what the breakdown of the coalition look like.

According to the CNN exit poll website:
McCain got White males: 57% to 41%
George W Bush in 2004 got White Males: 62% to 37%

So Obviously, Obama improved his White Male vote from Kerry.  Obama got 4% higher than Kerry in White Males; and McCain lost 5% of the White Male vote. 
Therefore, it is accurate to say that Obama was able to get a White Male swing vote of 4-5%

Angry White males also voted for Perot in 1992

Yes, Obama was helped by the high Black voter turnout, but I think he would not have won the election without the 5% of White Males who swung to him in 2008.
AUH2O Libertarian
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True now, but that's changing.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

Are women more likey then men be described as self progressives? I tend to see plenty of women that are progressive, where men are more diverse when it comes to politics.
milhouse24
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »

[

No. White male vote is never a swing vote in a presidential. Ever. Check out any exit poll from any year. White men, as a whole, are reliably at least 60-40 GOP voters.

This is quite simply wrong.  McCain lost 5% of the white male vote in 2008 compared to 2004; and obama gained 4% of the white male vote.  This definitely made a difference in the close swing states, since there are far more white males than black male voters in this country.

Nichlemn

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »

[

This is quite simply wrong.  McCain lost 5% of the white male vote in 2008 compared to 2004; and obama gained 4% of the white male vote.  This definitely made a difference in the close swing states, since there are far more white males than black male voters in this country.

I think you just have different definitions of "swing vote". There are a significant number of white male swing voters, but white males as a whole are unlikely to "swing" between plurality support for the two main parties.
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »

[

I think you just have different definitions of "swing vote". There are a significant number of white male swing voters, but white males as a whole are unlikely to "swing" between plurality support for the two main parties.

But these white male voters, usually white Catholic males, make up higher numbers of the electorate than any other significant voting group including Black voters, other minority groups, and female voters.  Keep in mind, White Males also have more money, so their financial donations to specific candidates will influence an election. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

Head, meet desk. Again.

White men, wether happy or angry, vote overwhelmingly for the republicans. There is nothing the democrats can do to change this without losing their base support. In a good year like 2008 they might gain a few points compared to a relatively neutral year like 2000, but even so they'll still lose by a significant margin. The group, as a whole, does not swing, even if a small percentage of its members do.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »

Head, meet desk. Again.

White men, wether happy or angry, vote overwhelmingly for the republicans. There is nothing the democrats can do to change this without losing their base support. In a good year like 2008 they might gain a few points compared to a relatively neutral year like 2000, but even so they'll still lose by a significant margin. The group, as a whole, does not swing, even if a small percentage of its members do.

Not even if they are non religious, college educated, and non married?
milhouse24
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »

Head, meet desk. Again.

How do you explain how Obama won if he didn't have the support of White Males?  Do White Catholics count as White Males?  I would take 5% more of the White Male vote versus any other smaller minority group because that will win the election. 
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

The term white male is a pretty big umbrella term. I'd be willing to wager that Obama won

WHITE JEWISH MALES
WHITE ATHEIST MALES
WHITE GAY MALES
WHITE SINGLE MALES
WHITE MALES WITH ADVANCED DEGREES

as long as Obama wins white males in those categories, I'm happy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »

I think the democrats need to go to every beach community, every inner city ghetto, and every college campus and basically conduct massive voter registration drives to ensure maximum turnout to offset any gains the republicans are making in other areas.

Sending liberals into the ghettos would be an OSHA violation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies