McCain says has "No confidence" in Runsfeld
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McCain says has "No confidence" in Runsfeld
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain says has "No confidence" in Runsfeld  (Read 3196 times)
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2004, 05:05:06 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041213/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/mccain_interview
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:31:04 PM »

That's another way of saying Rumsfeld is an intelligent, capable and ethical public official.

McCain is a slimebag!
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 05:57:13 PM »

That's another way of saying Rumsfeld is an intelligent, capable and ethical public official.

McCain is a slimebag!

I fail to see how disagreeing with the president makes him a scumbag...
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 07:54:35 PM »

McCain is a whore for the liberal media.

When you look back over his record and talk to people who know him, you learn just what a slimebag he really is.

The liberals love him because he can be counted on to follow their line when their is a critical issue.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 08:05:38 PM »

President Bush’s seeming reluctance to fire Rumsfeld indicates how badly the war is going. If the president fired Rumsfeld, an American public that slumbered through the election might finally realize the true dismal state of the war. Instead, like a deer caught in the headlights, Bush naively and unwisely believes that by retaining the charismatic face of his Iraq policy, he can hide his and Rumsfeld’s failure long enough to figure out what to do. Instead, he should fire Rumsfeld and hire someone who can begin to extricate the United States from this muddy quagmire.
Trilobyte

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »

The liberals love him because he can be counted on to follow their line when their is a critical issue.

But he sided with Bush on the really critical issue--he firmly supported Bush's reelection. I think it annoyed liberals more than anything to see McCain support the "Dark Side" in the one election that mattered.

He could have said a lot of nasty stuff during the RNC and cause Bush a lot of trouble if he wanted to, but he didn't. That's a pretty gracious gesture to a one-time rival who destroyed his own presidential prospects.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 08:42:23 PM »

When you look back over his record and talk to people who know him, you learn just what a slimebag he really is.

McCain votes fairly conservatively - actually more than most Republicans. He is not anywhere close to being a Democrat. I appreciate him for being a conservative who points out where he sees trouble in the administration. I hope we have a liberal just like that next time we have a Democratic administration.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 09:45:51 PM »

Join the club.  I have also lost confidence in Rumsfeld.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:19:47 AM »

It amazes me how anyone that doesn''t think the adminstration is perfect and speaks out about is considered a slimebug by some.
danwxman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 01:22:31 AM »

But he sided with Bush on the really critical issue--he firmly supported Bush's reelection. I think it annoyed liberals more than anything to see McCain support the "Dark Side" in the one election that mattered.

He could have said a lot of nasty stuff during the RNC and cause Bush a lot of trouble if he wanted to, but he didn't. That's a pretty gracious gesture to a one-time rival who destroyed his own presidential prospects.

Good post.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 03:02:39 AM »

some republicans, and some cabinet members, I like or can stand.

But not Rumsfeld. His biggest mistake was not allowing for enough soldiers to go into Iraq immediately, to stop the start of the insurgency-the army warned him that they'd need heaps of troops to be there at the time of combat, even if they weren't fighting, but he ignored them and pushed the number down as far as he could without making making everyone involved in the army's side of the argument resign.

what was the name of the chief of the JCS at the time? started with P, iirc, and he was asian, again, iirc. Anyway, he was really peeved about that, from what I've learned recently.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »

Basic test of intelligence really.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 07:30:05 AM »

Yeah, all the liberals love McCain.

The only reason McCain provided a lackluster 'support' for Bush is that McCain is walking on very thin ice politically.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 07:33:22 AM »

McCain votes fairly conservatively - actually more than most Republicans. He is not anywhere close to being a Democrat. I appreciate him for being a conservative who points out where he sees trouble in the administration. I hope we have a liberal just like that next time we have a Democratic administration.

I realize that you change avatars with total disregard to the facts (well, that's in keeping with the substance of your posts).

McCain is NOT a Democrat, and only nominally a Republican.  He's a slimebag who can be counted on to toe the liberal media line on major issues.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 07:36:30 AM »

It amazes me how anyone that doesn''t think the adminstration is perfect and speaks out about is considered a slimebug by some.

You are easily amazed.

First, I know of know one who believes that the current administration is "perfect" and do not believe that simple criticizism of the administration or its policies constitutes being a slimebag (as your erroneously imply).

Second, McCain IS a slimebag (and has been one for years) because he is a lackey for the liberal media.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 08:10:15 AM »

Second, McCain IS a slimebag (and has been one for years) because he is a lackey for the liberal media.

What liberal media?

McCain is a bit slimey for not denouncing Bush and Rumsfeld before the election.
raymondluxuryyacht
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 02:10:50 PM »

Has Rumsfield ever served in the military?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 03:12:25 PM »

Don Rumsfeld: Navy, 1954-57, aviator & flight instructor
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »

I realize that you change avatars with total disregard to the facts (well, that's in keeping with the substance of your posts).

McCain is NOT a Democrat, and only nominally a Republican.  He's a slimebag who can be counted on to toe the liberal media line on major issues.

About the avatar: actually, pretty much. I changed the avatar because it looks better. The South Dakota part is accurate, at least. But, really, who cares what avatar I have? It's clear enough what I think by my post, and reduces "oh, he's a Democrat - ignore his opinion"-type stuff.

McCain is absolutely not a Democrat - you are totally correct. However, I disagree with your main point; if you actually look at his voting record, though, it is clear he is a conservative Republican. Is he a whore for the "liberal media"? I suppose that is subjective. But you do conveniently ignore that McCain sided with Bush on one major issue - his reelection.

I believe it is refreshing to have someone ignore their political alignment and say what they believe is the truth and again, hope that the next time we have a Democratic administration, there is a senator with a similar function to do so then.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 09:43:04 PM »

Either you don't bother to read, or you are incapable of understanding.

When a measure comes before the Senate and it is clear that it will either win or lose by a substantial margin, McCain votes whichever way most Republicans vote (which accounts for his favorable rating that you cited).

However, when a vote is goint to be close, McCain consistently votes the liberal line.

Moreover, when you see McCain on television he is consistently attacking conservatives or providing a 'defnese' on the order of, "while X says conservatives are totally evil, I know for a fact that they're not totally evil"  (yeah, some defense).

The proof is that liberals know that on critical issues, McCain will go there way.

If McCain were a conservative, conservatives would not be consistently attacking him, and liberals would not be consistently lauding him.

Oh and BTW, McCain had a rather simple choice.  Either provide lukewarm support for Bush (which is exactly what he did), or forget about getting any standing whatsoever in the GOP (among other things, losing his committee charimanship).

Also, I presume you loved Senator Miller for his speaking his mind.  Surely that was "refresing."  Or is it merely, "refreshing" when a McCain parrots the liberal media line?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 10:08:35 PM »

Yep - and I'm pretty sure I said this some months back, somewhere on the salvaged board. I've had no confidence in him for over a year - ever since the woeful lack of follow-on planning in Iraq was revealed ('a few dead-enders' indeed...). This isn't about ideology for me, but competence.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 10:09:33 PM »

Probably the latter.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
This is true, at least sometimes. I will give you that.

I have seen him on television plenty of times defending Republican actions, and Bush, too. I'm not exactly sure what his views are either, but he oftentimes has valid points when he has them. I am not a big fan, though.

I really do not know many liberals who totally laud him, and plenty of conservatives who want him to run in 2008.

Yeah, I was thinking you'd pull the Zell Miller card. And good of you to do, too, because that lets me reiterate my original point: there are plenty of RINOs and DINOs. I have not memorized McCain's voting record, but the same organization that rated Kerry and Edwards as some of the most liberal senators gave McCain's very-conservative rating. In any case, I was under the impression that McCain was conservative - a conservative who points out flaws in the administration is worth a lot more, in my mind, than a RINO.

Miller is a DINO. He may have valid points, but they only get play because he has a (D) by his name. This is unfortunate, but how it goes. I'd rather a real Democrat pointing out real problems.

Then again, I'd rather a candidate who wasn't Kerry, who wouldn't have too many mistakes to point out.
raymondluxuryyacht
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 11:12:35 AM »

Wow, a whole 4 years as a flight instructor.  Why didn't Powell get Secretary of Defence?  He actually has relevant experience.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

Probably the latter.

This is true, at least sometimes. I will give you that.

I have seen him on television plenty of times defending Republican actions, and Bush, too. I'm not exactly sure what his views are either, but he oftentimes has valid points when he has them. I am not a big fan, though.

I really do not know many liberals who totally laud him, and plenty of conservatives who want him to run in 2008.

Yeah, I was thinking you'd pull the Zell Miller card. And good of you to do, too, because that lets me reiterate my original point: there are plenty of RINOs and DINOs. I have not memorized McCain's voting record, but the same organization that rated Kerry and Edwards as some of the most liberal senators gave McCain's very-conservative rating. In any case, I was under the impression that McCain was conservative - a conservative who points out flaws in the administration is worth a lot more, in my mind, than a RINO.

Miller is a DINO. He may have valid points, but they only get play because he has a (D) by his name. This is unfortunate, but how it goes. I'd rather a real Democrat pointing out real problems.

Then again, I'd rather a candidate who wasn't Kerry, who wouldn't have too many mistakes to point out.

You said:

I have seen him on television plenty of times defending Republican actions, and Bush, too.

I reply:

The only examples I have seen of McCain 'defending' Republicans, conservatives or Bush has been of the variety where he says something to the effect, 'they're not totally wrong/evil, just mostly wront/evil.'  Some defense!

BTW, please give an example of where McCain has been on television where his 'defense of Republicans or conservatives or Bush hasn't been in the vein I just cited.

Next you said:

I reply:

Lets break that down into two categories (as I originally did).

With respect to liberals and McCain, while they may not TOTALLY laud him, he remains the liberals favorite Republican in name only because they know he will take their side only every crucial issue.

With respect to conservatives, I suggest that the people you say you know whom you consider 'conservatives' who say they favor McCain are about a 'conservative' as say John Kerry.  Just take a look at this board.  Conservatives do NOT like McCain, but liberals love him.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2004, 12:22:46 PM by phknrocket1k »

Here is John McCain

Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 0% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
Rated 29% by CURE, indicating anti-rehabilitation crime votes. (Dec 2000)
Rated 45% by the NEA, indicating a mixed record on public education. (Dec 2003)
Rated 53% by the LCV, indicating a mixed record on environment. (Dec 2003)
Rated 83% by the Christian Coalition: a pro-family voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 100% by CATO, indicating a pro-free trade voting record. (Dec 2002)
Rated 0% by SANE, indicating a pro-military voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 15% by the AFL-CIO, indicating an anti-labor voting record. (Dec 2003)
Rated 72% by NTU, indicating "Satisfactory" on tax votes. (Dec 2003)

84 Life-time Rating on the ACU.

He is ready to trash-talk Rumsfeld's stupidity, and not to sell his soul out to George W. Bush; and besides Chuck Hagel does the same and is probably even more conservative than McCain.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies