Why do people look at you like you're a nut if you bring up the Constitution?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:23:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do people look at you like you're a nut if you bring up the Constitution?  (Read 4853 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »

Why do people look at you like you're a nut if you cite the Constitution to back up one of your opinions?

I thought the Constitution was supposed to be the glue that held a free people together. Instead, we've entered an era where people just discount you out-of-hand if you cite the Constitution. If you cite the Constitution, people look at you like you have a big bubble gum bubble popped all over your face.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:14:10 AM »

It's because most people that mention "The Constitution" have no idea what the document they're waving around says, and the rest tend to be Article I, Section 8-obsessed Paultards.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »

It's because most people that mention "The Constitution" have no idea what the document they're waving around says, and the rest tend to be Article I, Section 8-obsessed Paultards.

This.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »

This.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »

Why are you implying that the two groups have no intersection?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »

Why do people look at you like you're a nut if you cite the Constitution to back up one of your opinions?

I thought the Constitution was supposed to be the glue that held a free people together. Instead, we've entered an era where people just discount you out-of-hand if you cite the Constitution. If you cite the Constitution, people look at you like you have a big bubble gum bubble popped all over your face.

You're talking about bringing the Constitution up when you're already talking politics and/or history, yes? Because I think if you're citing it in pretty much any other circumstance people should be looking at you like you're a bit crazy.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »

You're talking about bringing the Constitution up when you're already talking politics and/or history, yes? Because I think if you're citing it in pretty much any other circumstance people should be looking at you like you're a bit crazy.

Why would I bring up the Constitution in any other circumstance, unless somebody's rights were being violated?

What I'm talking about here is like what happened to me some years back. I said the First Amendment protects free speech on the Internet, and somebody said something like, "The First Amendment is cited only by kooks."
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

Why would I bring up the Constitution in any other circumstance, unless somebody's rights were being violated?

What I'm talking about here is like what happened to me some years back. I said the First Amendment protects free speech on the Internet, and somebody said something like, "The First Amendment is cited only by kooks."

First, welcome back, you've been missed.

Second, most lefties hate the Constitution of the United States as they hate any restrain on government.   So, for them, anyone who cites the constitution is some nut who believes in limited government.

Nice to see a lefty with some respect for the Constitution.  There are lots of lefties at the forum, but most of simple totalitarian types.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »

Because of the failure of education in our country.  Hell, even I forget that the Constitution was crafted by god fearing men who wanted a nation of christian principles and morality.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:55 PM »

Second, most lefties hate the Constitution of the United States as they hate any restrain on government.   So, for them, anyone who cites the constitution is some nut who believes in limited government.

Nice to see a lefty with some respect for the Constitution.  There are lots of lefties at the forum, but most of simple totalitarian types.

If lefties hate the constitution, then so do right-wingers.

The reason most called people who bring up the constitution nuts is when the Ron Paulities come in and defend it to no end. The document isn't perfect and I respect the constitution and I learn to the left side of politics.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

If lefties hate the constitution, then so do right-wingers.

The reason most called people who bring up the constitution nuts is when the Ron Paulities come in and defend it to no end. The document isn't perfect and I respect the constitution and I learn to the left side of politics.

If right wingers cared as much about the rest of the Bill of Rights as they do the 2nd and 10th Amendents, the ACLU would be out of a job.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

If right wingers cared as much about the rest of the Bill of Rights as they do the 2nd and 10th Amendents, the ACLU would be out of a job.

I don't think the right-wingers care much about the Second or Tenth either, to be honest.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »

What I'm talking about here is like what happened to me some years back. I said the First Amendment protects free speech on the Internet,
Well sort of, but it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want wherever you want.  If you are the owner of the website you can say whatever you want, but if you're another person's website you are limited to what they allow you to say.  Just as if you were in another person's front yard.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

What I'm talking about here is like what happened to me some years back. I said the First Amendment protects free speech on the Internet,
Well sort of, but it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want wherever you want.  If you are the owner of the website you can say whatever you want, but if you're another person's website you are limited to what they allow you to say.  Just as if you were in another person's front yard.

With the usual caveats. I wouldn't put up a detailed terrorist plot on my website.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »

http://youtu.be/Af-Id_fuXFA
BigSkyBob

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2011, 07:10:50 PM by True Federalist »

The document isn't perfect and I respect the constitution and I learn to the left side of politics.

Don't our President, Congress, and troops swear to defend the Constitution to their deaths if need be?

If soldiers can fight and die to defend the Constitution without going "too far," then how can you say "Paultards" go too far in defense of the Constitution?

Edited to fix quoting levels.
Link
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »

Its because people use the Constitution in a lawyerly way.  For example in one thread people were going on and on about how the individual mandate wasn't "Constitutional."  No one could explain why it was a bad idea to have health insurance if you can afford it.  I guarantee you every Congressman, Senator, judge, and lawyer arguing against the individual mandate has health insurance.

When the facts and logic are not on people's side they default to trying to find some kind of technicality in the Constitution to illogically strike down a perfectly good law that they in their own lives actually agree with.

I don't like weaselly lawyers whether they are in municipal court or arguing Constitutional law in front of the supreme court.  Talk to me like a human being not a lawyer.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Not everyone who references the U.S. Constitution is a nut, but it still makes for a great warning sign.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »

Indeed.
Link
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2011, 08:49:34 PM by Link »

The document isn't perfect and I respect the constitution and I learn to the left side of politics.

Don't our President, Congress, and troops swear to defend the Constitution to their deaths if need be?

If soldiers can fight and die to defend the Constitution without going "too far," then how can you say "Paultards" go too far in defense of the Constitution?

Edited to fix quoting levels.

You would fight to the death if the government mandated for you to purchase health insurance?

Mmmm... you may not want to do that.  You probably need health insurance... to pay for very strong prescription medication. Wink

By the way that is a joke.
John Doe
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

Nobody has ever called me a nut for referencing the constitution.  Lately, however, I have noticed a number of politicians claiming their views are supported by the Constitution, which a quick perusal of the document will disprove.

Regards,
John Doe
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

Because chances are that you are a nut if you do.

How many Lawyers are out there? Judges? Courts?
How many Reporters? Journalists? Media groups?

If something really was un-constitutional, there would be rafts of stories in the media about it, and, long lines of lawyers wanting to be the first to win the case.

Lack of these things proves the "nut" part, especially if someone continues to insist it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies