Watson Timeline: Mark 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:28:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Watson Timeline: Mark 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Watson Timeline: Mark 2  (Read 18428 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »

1987 would turn out to be a very important year for the Watson family. Ruling out a 1988 Presidential run was a simple decision for him. His eye was closer to 1992 and 1996. He judged 1988 would not be a good year to run because of who else was running. Jeff Dent would certainly take another crack at it, he felt and it was possible that Gary Hart and Joe Biden would make runs too. He didn't feel like he was prepared to challenge them, despite having national exposure.

At age 37, his 36 year old wife became pregnant for the fourth time. His oldest son, Brian was barely 9 and two other sons, Owen and James were younger. James was only 3. The fourth child was a girl whom they chose the name Sarah Anne Lauren for. The Watson children were always favorites, particularly because they were so much younger and it made many Senators feel younger to be around them, especially those with grown children. A new baby for a Senator was big news and especially in Pittsburgh, where he was most popular, it was covered by all three news outlets, much to Laura Watson's embarrassment. None of the other children were so heavily covered, but ever since he'd been a national figure for President, it became big news.

Sarah Watson was born in Sydney while they were visiting and the couple would return to the States as soon as Laura was healed and prepared to fly again. Negative attention was thrust upon him by those who were angry that he now had "a foreign wife and a foreign baby, yet he preaches for America!" Many threats came to him, but he kept them quiet. His wife was not the type to handle it. He kept a low profile and many of his colleagues, especially Ted Kennedy, agreed to help shield him from the public eye until everything died down.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

Any feedback for me guys while I think of where I wanna go?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »

Any feedback for me guys while I think of where I wanna go?

Just give us more.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 03:09:09 AM »

I'll have more soon, I promise.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »

July 7th, 1977

Lawrence Watson had been in Sydney only a couple of days. Mo Udall had convinced his young Pennsylvania protege to take a vacation. He had been in Washington less than a year and had gone on a rampage. Nothing really in terms of legislation, but rather in terms of treating D.C. like a big party ground. Young Representative Watson, over six feet tall, over 300lbs, and with a bushy beard and long hair, looked rather like a boozed up bear when he'd grab cocktail waitresses asses or hit on Georgetown students who were only a few years younger than he was. In the House, he was told to find someone older to shepherd him for awhile. He gravitated toward Arizona's venerable Morris Udall who was in the midst of a Presidential run. Udall took time for him and he appreciated that and worked on the Udall for President campaign. Udall did not win the '76 nomination, but took the loss in stride. He saw the dangers that Watson was falling into and told him to get the hell out of Washington and get his life back into perspective.

So, there he sat. Musing to himself that it was 7-7-77. He lived for days like that. Something about months, days and years that lined up amused him. Something interesting happening was what he hoped for. He would get it.

He stood on the Northern Beaches eating a hot dog and drinking what resembled a Coke. He watched four women playing volleyball and thought about when to go over and introduce himself. However, his eye was caught by a girl who was sitting on the beach by herself. She was watching the volleyball game as well. Unlike everyone else, she wore a hooded jacket that hid the top half of her bikini. He was just intrigued because she seemed rather unlike the others, so he walked over to her and sat down.

"How come you're not playing too?"

She turned around startled and didn't answer him at first. "Another American in my country..."

"I'm just here on vacation."

"So, that gives you the impetus to just hit on any Aussie girl you see? Want to have some fun and something to brag about to your friends when you go back to America?"

"No, that's not exactly it. I just am curious. Why are you wearing a jacket? It's like 75 degrees out here."

"No, it's 23 degrees."

"Honey, I'm from Pittsburgh. I know what 23 degrees is, and this ain't it."

"It's winter here."

"You don't have winter here in paradise. There's no snow."

Watson extended his hand to her. "I'm Lawrence Watson."

"Laura Imber"

"Imber?... That's an interesting name. So, what do you do, Laura Imber?"

"I'm an engineer. I'm working on designing new aircraft. For your country's military, I might add."

"Was I in on that," he mused aloud to himself.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I'm in Congress. Actually, it probably wasn't me," he paused and then playfully joked, "I'm not on the Defense Committee."

"What ones are you on?"
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2011, 09:48:23 AM by SOIA Dr. Cynic »

March 16th, 1879
Devonport, England

Philip Samuel Bowden Watson was an ill man and his wife Elizabeth knew it. Philip was one of the two MP's for the Plymouth Devonport constituency. He had previously been a shipwright and had been elected in the 1857 General Election as a Liberal. He spoke rarely in Parliament except on matters of trade and the Navy, which were of keen interest to him. Thin, often wearing a rumpled suit, with a bald head and long beard, he bore a bit of a likeness to American editor Horace Greeley. A bad case of the flu had turned into serious pneumonia and his time was now short. Elizabeth had sent word to their five sons: Frederick, Alfred, Percy, Rodney and Owen to be at their home of 13 Morice Square so they could say their goodbyes. Frederick was a burlesque performer who worked with his wife, Edith and he was the toughest to get a hold of as they were in Edinburgh. Alfred was a minister in Cornwall where his wife lived. Percy and Rodney both still lived in Plymouth, Percy as a plumber and Rodney as a dockyard worker. Owen was only 16, but was studying to be a teacher in London. He was also a fine piano player.

After Philip Watson's death, his assets would be divided up between his sons. One of them, Percy, had only just married his wife Ada. He wanted to use the money to buy passage and live in the United States. This desire caused a family argument, but Percy Watson was unmovable. America would be his opportunity to start anew.

Making passage over was difficult. He had to put his plans off several times, but finally in 1882, Percy and Ada Watson set out for America, by way of a stop in Canada. Ada Watson was already pregnant with a baby boy whom they would name Frederick for his elder brother.

--Source: Interview with Senator Lawrence Watson on his family origins--
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »

"FINALLY! FINALLY!"

Watson was extraordinarily excited on this particular day. The summer of 1986 offered him the opportunity that he could not pass by. He had been invited by his second cousin, Thomas "Rod" Watson to visit him in Plymouth. Lawrence and Rod had been conversing through letters for several months previous and because it was nice, the Englishman invited the American and his family for a visit. Upon arrival in Plymouth, Rod expressed surprise at rambunctious brood. He, himself was slightly older and a widower.

"I thought you and your family would like to visit where the Morice Square home was. They turned it into a parking lot for the Royal Fleet Hotel some years ago. Your family could comfortably stay there. Who are your lads?"

"Brian's the oldest. Then, this one with the green shirt is Owen and the little one here with the hat is James."

"Of course, this must be Laura..."

"I don't know if it must be, but yes, it's me," she replied jestingly.

"Oh, I didn't know you were from Australia..."

"Yep... Unlike your cousin, I like Blackadder and 'Allo 'Allo! and Are You Being Served?"

"I like Spitting Image..."

"You would, it's political," she teased. "Also, we both know that u's are necessary for words like "labour".

"Unnecessary," the Senator stood his ground playfully.

Taking in the sites was much more enjoyable to him. Senator Watson took pictures almost constantly and had insisted upon not bringing any staff or assistants on the vacation. He was there purely to get in touch with his family roots. To do that, Rod told him he'd also have to visit Cornwall.

"I don't know if you knew," Rod told him. "But you have Cornish blood in you. Half of the family came from Cornwall... Veryan... Your great-grandmother Ada was born in Cornwall and so had her father and his father and on back. That's what my Gran'father told me."

"Fascinating... Think we might go there?"

"Ah, sure."

Lawrence had a grand time investigating his past. He liked seeing Plymouth and Cornwall and Devon. Laura had British roots as well. Her family had lived in Brede, Sussex. Laura had never had the great desire to discover her family roots, knowing that someone had been a criminal, deported to Australia, she found it secretly embarrassing and did not want her sons finding this past shame out. Lawrence, of course, remained cavalier about the whole thing. His whole "Oh, what's the big deal?" attitude had always been what she thought, his most charming and his most agitating attribute.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 01:04:23 AM »

Family life had always been something Watson enjoyed. He was close with his sons and he would always be devoted to his beloved wife. In politics, he was a different sort. Scott Westman, his erstwhile libertarian friend from Montana, had once remarked that "Lawrence, you always know exactly how to survive".

It wasn't an idle compliment. Lawrence Watson had a knack for political tactics, at least where his own survival in electoral office was concerned. Part of that knack was not pushing himself for jobs on important committee's. He took what he was assigned and seemed not to mind when it was something menial. However, as 1987 rolled around, he now had some seniority and with it, came better jobs. His favorite, by far, was his spot on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions. Because Chairman (and Majority Leader) Kennedy liked him (Watson had endorsed Kennedy's 1980 attempt at the Democratic nomination) and loved the thunder that Pennsylvania's junior Senator brought to the table. Watson would continue to debate Republican rivals (A favorite opponent was John McCain. The two would lay into each other on the floor) over universal health coverage and what would become his pet issue, universal college tuition.

"Every young person has the right to go to college. We see right now in nations such as England, where I recently visited some family, that university attendance is much higher in proportion to our country. Even my wife, attended the University of Sydney at a much lower rate than I paid to go to Pitt. This cannot and should not be allowed to go on. All too often, American students who have the grades are excluded because of their economic situation. How can we say we want this nation to better itself when those who have earned a college education to do so, can't get one? How are they expected to better their situation?"

Watson was reminded by Republicans that he had a football scholarship to go to the University of Pittsburgh. Watson would state it was irrelevant. If he hadn't have gotten one, he wouldn't have gone to college at all was his honest reply. Republicans thought he was being dishonest and manipulating results to suit his views and 1988 Republican nomination contender, Bob Dole said as much. Dole, Vice President Bush and several others still viewed Watson as a threat for the '88 Democratic nomination. It was early and though he'd pronounced himself out of the contest, it could've simply been candidate coyness.

In the meantime, Watson was watching his own party's field. Jeff Dent was an early possibility, as was Joe Biden, or his friend from Illinois, Paul Simon. 1988 would shape up to be a difficult choice for him.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »

August 10th, 1987

Lewis: What do you want to do? You told Dent you'd endorse him if he ran again.

Watson: I could. But I don't know if he's running. We've got early candidates in like Biden... Simon is in and I like him.

Lewis: What about Dick Gephardt?

Watson: No, not him! Too interested in stealing my audience (he laughs). All his big labor talk. He's a whore for the bosses, though. I don't give a damn about the bosses. I think Dick's a coward.

Lewis: Dent's not committing to the race though. The media wants him to make it known.

Watson: I think I'll call Scott Westman and see what he knows. He's as close to Jeff as anyone. We'll see what Jeff wants to do. If he doesn't say anything in a week, I'll come out for Paul Simon.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:08 AM »

STOCK MARKET COLLAPSES---REAGAN TO ADDRESS NATION---

Stock Market indicators collapsed last night and the night before all over the world. Hong Kong lost 45% of it's market. Australia lost 41%. The hits in the UK and US have been milder at 22 and 26%. President Reagan will address the nation to attempt to ease the tensions created by this global downturn.

Meanwhile, in the Watson home, the stock market collapse held deeper implications. Australia's massive losses caused heavy layoffs, including that of Laura Watson's father, Rod. The Imber family felt the sting quickly and there was no way to help them. Home foreclosure came eventually. Lawrence had done his best to shield the Imbers with cash from the States, but much of it arrived too late to be of any help. The Imbers left Sydney and moved to Western Australia, a sharp contrast from the affluent east coast.

Laura had become sullen and moody because of the difficulties. She refused to deal with any politically motivated appearances and withdrew into a shell of quiet depression. There was nothing Lawrence could do now, he realized. Laura's moods were seldom sullen, but when they became so, trying to cheer her up would only make her feel worse. He decided to bring them to Washington to avoid the long commutes home to Pittsburgh.

In the meantime, Jeff Dent, the mercurial Alabaman had decided to contest the election. Emerging as the clear cut favorite, Dent savaged Reagan policies and attacked not only the Vice President, but potential Republican nominees Dole, Robertson, Laxalt and Haig. Dent's hard driving campaign had virtually locked up his nomination. Watson had seen the boat and kept his promise, endorsing Dent soon after he got in the race. Privately, he offered occasional advice or opinion, hopeful that Dent would choose a Pennsylvanian to run with him. Possibly one of his own charges such as Congressman Mark Singel, a telegenic young Representative who had ousted John Murtha from his long held perch. He didn't want the job, himself, but recognized it could be offered. He preferred the Senate far and away. It allowed him to stay in Pittsburgh and stay politically powerful.

"I don't wanna do any campaigning. The last thing Laura needs is me on the road all the time," he said sadly.

He often brought Scott Westman around his family. Westman's free-wheeling attitude often would cheer up his family, but privately he felt the stresses. Soon enough, he ended up at Rocket Bar when his Steelers, who were suffering a bad year, played the Washington Redskins, who were one of the top teams in the league. It was a rare inter-conference game, but the Senator took football seriously, having played once himself, and having a brother assistant coaching the team. He began drinking excessively and was belligerent toward Redskins fans.

"God damn it! hit that son of a bitch!"

He punched the air accidentally knocking a Redskins fan senseless. His action caused a brawl. Being as big as he was, he certainly held his own, but ending up with a bloody nose and busted lip, he still was put in handcuffs when the police came. Until, that is, he reminded them of who he was.

"You're not above THAT, I see," Westman would later tease him.

This, of course, only depressed Laura further. He was off the wagon, disappointing her immensely and he had started a bar brawl. Her innate shyness worried about what the other wives thought of her. She already believed that the other wives didn't like her based on her uniqueness. She didn't have the same sort of accent and she didn't dress like they did. She was embarrassed as well that her husband was drinking again. For him, it was a powerful addiction. By Christmas, he was sauced almost all the time.

"You've got to stop this," Mo Udall counseled him. "You have a wife now and children. Quit being such a prick. This isn't 10 years ago."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »

Holding an icepack to his head, he prepared for the inevitable lecture from not only his wife and Senator Udall. He prepared to hear it from just about everyone else, including Senator Kennedy, whom he had utmost respect for.

"I uh-was considering supporting you for the uh-Majority Whip if Jeff is elected. You've uh-disappointed me," Kennedy said.

He had to calm down and he knew that, but lure of alcohol was a strong one for him. He didn't want to be totally abstinent from alcohol, but Laura did. She didn't like to drink and she hated wine. The occasional beer was all she'd ever mustered. Although he tried hard to cut back, he would inevitably try to find ways at getting liquor. Including sneaking advocaat into the eggnog at Christmas time.

In the meantime, his political life was being caught up in two things. The first was obviously the 1988 election. Watson only saw Dent occassionally as 1987 would begin coming to a close. He knew his role. He offered him opinions and help in Pennsylvania. Dent was a friend, but he did not want to presume himself upon Dent. Instead, he encouraged Paul Simon to drop out and work with him directly. Simon was an intelligent, bookish looking man who constantly wore bow ties. Watson liked the eccentricity and deemed Simon someone he could work with.

In the Senate, Watson became obsessed with the idea of Universal College Tuition. It was something he had seen in Britain as the Alliance Government had begun offering such programs. Watson liked the British idea, but wanted it on a much grander scale. He was warned that such an idea would gain little traction in the Senate.

"Then, we go to the public," he said, beginning to lose his temper. "I'm sick of the goddamned Republicans thinking they can outmaneuver us at every turn by changing public opinion! Let's give them some hell! FOR ONCE!"

Republican strategists had an answer for Pennsylvania's dynamo, though. It took the form of an intense looking, short man. His name was hardly unknown in Washington, but yet he would become something of a Democratic boogeyman. His name was Lee Atwater, and he was going to find ways to bring down Dent, Watson and whatever Democrat stood in the way.

DO YOU TRUST A MAN WHO STARTS BAR BRAWLS?
DO YOU TRUST A MAN WHO WOULD MARRY A FOREIGNER?
WAS IT JUST SO SHE COULD BE A CITIZEN?
WOULD YOU TRUST THIS MAN WITH THE EDUCATION OF YOUR CHILDREN?
paid for by The Real America Committee
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »

I'll get back on this soon... I'm just a bit behind on all my writing.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »

Watson was up in arms over the whole ad. What had really pissed him off though was that it debuted in the Pittsburgh market first. His home city where he remained considerably popular. Laura Watson though was frightened by the whole situation. Not only she, but their daughter, who was only a few months old and had been born in Australia, was a target. This whole situation also caused a relationship strain with Australia. Because Watson's temper was so inflamed, he took his grievance public, something that even Lewis advised him against. Australia's Prime Minister, Bob Hawke, a former trade union leader who had formed a friendship with Watson and was very strongly pro-American, voiced his displeasure with the ad's tone once he heard about it.

"Watson needs to calm down. That temper of his is going to get him into trouble," Ted Kennedy sighed.

"I don't blame him. Those fukwits are going after his family," Jeff Dent stated bluntly. Dent promised Watson support during this time and spent at least a portion of one campaign appearance doing so.

Scott Westman was also upset. Politically, he didn't give two sh**ts about US-Australia relations, but he did care about Lawrence and Laura Watson, as well as their children, to whom he was like an uncle. Westman decided that he should take a more dismissive attitude toward it, hoping and feeling that it would simply blow over. But the ads kept coming.

"Who is responsible for them?" Watson wondered. The answer would soon be made clear to him.

Sorry that took so long...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2011, 04:24:00 PM by Bretwalda Egbert »

"You are a very stupid man."

The phrase set off like an atomic bomb and brought a hush to the dinnertime conversation. Scott Westman had seen and heard enough.

"Let this sh**t blow over, you enormous FU**KING idiot!"

"Well what the goddamn hell was I going to do, Scott?! Let 'em go with it?!"

"YES! It is nonsense!"

"You know, Lawrence," Senator Udall piped in, "For someone so extraordinarily perceptive, you continue to bite off your nose to spite your face. Nobody but a bunch of xenophobes cares about all this bullsh**t anyway. You've got one of the highest approval rates in the country."

"Your temper is what will do you in," Lewis finished. "I'll get you a prescription for Valium and happy endings at the massage parlor in West End..."

"Hey! Damnit, Jimmy!" Laura Watson swatted his arm, trying desperately to lighten the mood.

"Seriously though, my team has done the data. This goddamn state loves you. So shut the hell up and don't make the rest of the country see an image of you as this raging bull. It's not sound and it's not healthy," finished Lewis.

Lawrence sunk into his chair and after a moment of silence all around, he threw his napkin into his plate and stormed off. Laura sighed and rubbed her temples.

"He didn't finish," she nearly cried.

"That means something is seriously wrong. Keep him home and away from the TV for awhile."

"But Mo... What if he's drinking again?"

"Then pour it down the drain," Udall said sharply.

After another long, quiet pause, Laura Watson excused herself to look to her husband. Westman coughed and shrugged at Udall.

"He's a nice guy and everyone likes him. But when he's in a mood, he's a pissy, arrogant, self-centered little sh**t, isn't he?"

"He's still young. The young make mistakes," Udall concluded. "Like you."

The old man smiled wryly at Westman.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

I'm going to take some time off of this timeline. I've got a new project that I'm working on. It may be a couple weeks before I come back to this, or it may be a few more days Tongue I dunno.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »

Lawrence Watson stared at the bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum for what must have seemed to him as hours, but really was only a matter of five minutes. Sweat poured from his brow and he absently tugged at his shirt as if to let out the humidity condensed against his body. Laura stood in the kitchen doorway watching him silently with a pained expression on her face, ready to leap in to stop him in case he opened the bottle. Finally, she swallowed up all her courage (always shy) and spoke up to him.

"Sarah is a baby, you know. The boys are young. How much time do you think you'll have with them if you start back on the bottle? Huh?... Answer me, damn you!"

Watson clenched his fists and glared at her. Staring at the bottle one more time, he held the neck and proceeded to smash the bottle against the sink hard enough to break it. He dropped the neck into the trashcan and then turned back to her.

"I don't need it."

"...And who do you suppose is going to clean all this up? I'm sure as hell not!"

"Make Jimmy do it," he teased her. "He does everything else."

December 1987

Watson's public appearances picked up in lieu of turning away from the bottle. The plants in his crowds also became more vociferous. He controlled himself well though. Stumping for Dent and controlling what people around him called 'Krakatoa', became increasingly difficult as protestors went even further. One in particular in Cleveland went to carrying a massive poster of Laura in a form fitting bikini on the beach in Sydney (The picture had been taken almost five years ago during a rather happy vacation where the Senator learned how to swim and had snorkeled off the Great Barrier Reef) with the words "Slut 4 Senate" plastered on it. The protestor had hidden the poster remarkably well and he was not caught by security. Unfurling it as Lawrence spoke, he paused mid-sentence and just stood there staring before he could collect himself.

"You want to step up here and stand in my face with that damn thing instead of hiding back there like the little pussy coward you are?! Huh?"

The protestors shouts were almost unintelligible.

"Bring him up here and give him a f**king mic!"

Standing off to the side, Watson watched and then took in a great realization that for some reason had alluded him before, even though he'd been told half a dozen times. He and his family were loved. Especially by blue collar Democrats. (Odd for a social liberal to be so most of the time). Audience members heckled and more than one shoved the protestor, trying to claw at the poster. As the heckler unlisted every grievance upon reaching the stage, he was booed mercilessly. Watson finally held himself in check and basked in his audience's adoration. When he was through, Watson had him escorted safely out and upon taking his mic back let loose almost a gleeful laugh.

"You thought I was gonna hit you, didn't ya?! You must be sorely disappointed! So get your ass out of here and let's hear what the REAL AMERICANS have to say about it!"

Ever the showman, he pointed his mic to the crowd, who roared their approval. One person wasn't happy though. When she saw the outburst on the news, Laura Ellen Watson felt the urge to hide and cry. Instead of getting this man off quietly, he'd made a scene of it. HE, her husband had stood passively while someone called her a slut and a whore. It still hurts, she reasoned.

"I know you did what was right," she told him. "But letting him say all that still hurts... It hurts, Lawrence, don't you get it? I cannot take this much longer... It's killing me..."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »

Haven't read the whole thing, but I like the last update.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

Haven't read the whole thing, but I like the last update.

Most of it is worth reading Wink
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »

"It's not killing you, babe. Don't be so dramatic."

"But it is... It makes me feel so second class. Like I'm not even a person... You're always defending me and there's never anything I can do for you because I'm always so afraid."

"But what are you afraid of," he said gently, finally sitting down at the kitchen table next to her, wrapping his arm around her. "Nobody'll do anything."

He kissed her forehead and she rested her head on his massive shoulder. "In 1981, I thought you were having an affair with the woman who lived down the block; Kaitlyn Evans..."

He froze, unable to speak, almost finding that if words had attempted to come out, they just formed little lumps in his throat as Laura continued. "I was going to divorce you... I thought you were cheating on me and didn't want me anymore..."

He could hardly even remember Mrs. Evans. The thought hurt him deeply that he could even be considered an adulterer. He thought of making a joke about Scott, but then... What was funny about it?

"I'm a lot of things, but I'm not now, nor have I ever even considered cheating on you... Never. Besides, who but you would want me?" He couldn't resist a joke if it presented itself. But Laura was far more deeply troubled. That was only the first of a litany of fears and complaints about being in the public eye. She said that the "Slut" comments were giving her thoughts of self-harm... This was now something more serious... All Lawrence could do was listen. Finally he said to her, "No one is going to ever do this again. I'll make sure of it."

Going to the telephone, he picked it up and began to call Jimmy Lewis. "I want to see if you can get some operatives inside of any conservative circles. I need to find out who is really behind these ads."

"I'll see what we can do, but it's not gonna be easy. I honestly don't think we have a strong enough organization for that sort of reach..."

"Well, Dent's people are busy with the campaign... Call Teddy... If anyone has reach, it's him... Jimmy, listen... Laura's been having a lot of really bad thoughts lately. This needs to end before it kills her... I'm done with this game."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »

ACCIDENT CLAIMS LIFE OF CAMPAIGN WORKER

Yesterday, a road accident claimed the life of Andrew Taddeo, a 25 year old campaign worker who was driving from his home in Green Tree, PA. The single car accident can be attributed to black ice according to the Sheriff's office. Taddeo was a worker who primarily was an assistant to Pittsburgh Democrats as well as acting as something of a courier to US Senator Lawrence Watson. Watson issued a statement of regret and sorrow over the accident and expressed deep sympathies for the family of Andrew Taddeo. Taddeo died en route to Massachusetts based on an itinerary found at the scene.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »

Wow do I suck for the slow pace of the story... Sorry everyone.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »

I don't have much to say, but I am reading.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

Oh I just meant it's been too long since I've had a chance to update.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »

"How did this happen?"

"Well, looks like an accident. It was a bad idea to drive on these roads. Poor Taddeo..."

Watson plopped down into his chair and picked up his younger son, James who was playing with GI-Joe's on the floor.

"Don't lay down there, Jamie. People are trying to walk. Sit up here."

He positioned his young son on his desk and allowed him to continue to play, which only added to the noise of the overly crowded office. Picking up the telephone, he put through another call to Kennedy, explaining the situation. Kennedy told him not to worry about it and that he could pick up the papers after the recess, but Watson remained adamant. He was desperate for Ted's organization and the phone numbers and contacts and leads listed in each paper were just far too numerous for he and his group to handle.

He also called Scott Westman, whom he had not spoken to in more than two weeks. Westman and Watson had broken company over his own drinking and Westman tiring of the whole issue. Clear-headed and sober again, he called his lanky Irish friend.

"I wanted to tell you that my courier died en route to Teddy. Black ice on the road. I've got to go to the funeral next week, but do you think you'd be willing to be my gofer this one time, Scott?"

"Don't you know I'm above menial sh**t jobs like that, Senator Watson," Westman kidded.

"Listen, Laura's in a bad state and I'm not going to get to see Teddy until after the winter furlough's over. You will... I was wondering if you could pass some papers on to him for me. It's about trying to find out who's behind the slut ad."

Westman's tone was slightly troubled over the phone. "Yeah, sure. I'm still in my office, I can come by right now... How are Laura and the kids?"

"They're okay in general. Laura's just getting sick of it and it's causing her to lapse into some of those mental issues I told you about. Thanks a million for this, Scott. I owe you one."

"You damn sure do."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2012, 04:57:59 AM »

TIME

HAPPY NEW YEAR: AN ELECTION YEAR!

In a world of increasing uncertainties, 1987 is finally over and done with and 1988 is on the way. This promises to be the year of elections. Not just the Presidential election here in the U.S. which is currently upcoming, but also elections will happen in Britain and Canada and possibly Australia. First, in Canada, we'll see a three way race between Brian Mulroney, the Prime Minister of the Progressive Conservatives, John Turner and his depleted Liberals and finally Ed Broadbent and his surging NDP. Mulroney has a massive advantage in the Canadian House of Commons and a loss would be unlikely. Obviously, Mulroney doesn't have to call an election until next year, but sources say he's feeling fairly confident to do it sometime this coming year.

In Britain after the stunning 1983 loss of Margaret Thatcher's Tories and the victory by the SDP-Liberal Alliance, an election will need to happen in Britain this year. Everything will likely look different as Thatcher is no longer in the House of Commons and the Alliance's merger to become the Democratic Party. There will be a new method of voting as well. STV\Proportional Representation which will drastically change the makeup of the British Parliament and help out smaller parties as a result (This is a system also used in France). The main candidates are Prime Minister David Steel for the Democrats, Mr. Michael Heseltine for the Tories and Mr. Neil Kinnock for the Labour Party.

In Australia, Bob Hawke of the Labor Party and John Howard of the Liberals will once again square off as they did last year. Howard has been anxious to paint Hawke as being too close to the United States and Labor certainly will be damaged by the economic downturn in November. Howard can count on help for his center-right leaning Liberals from the more strident National Party. Although they are not strong vote getters throughout the country, Labor could form a pact with the Australian Democrats. This election, which will certainly take place in hopes to give Hawke the mandate he needs, have an odd connection to this country. Hawke is close friends with Pennsylvania Senate power-broker Lawrence Watson, who's wife is from Sydney originally. Coincidentally, her home area in the Northern Beaches is solid Liberal territory.

Finally, we're going through the painful primary season which will see someone new enter 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Jefferson Dent, arguably the second most powerful Democrat in the country behind Ted Kennedy, will undoubtedly be the Democratic nominee as no serious challengers attempted to deny Dent the nod. Meanwhile, several Republicans have taken the steps to replace President Reagan after the Vice President stated his intention not to run. Bob Dole and Paul Laxalt are the strongest tier candidates while Pat Robertson and Alexander Haig occupy the second rung of the ladder. Gadfly candidates in this election abound on both sides, particularly the Democrats. Right now, Senator Dent has a commanding lead in the polls thanks in part to the economic recession and he has lots of strong Democratic talent to choose his running mate from. His team is undoubtedly vetting several contenders who we'll examine over the next few weeks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies