American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: Continue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue  (Read 32415 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »

10:07pm –

Brian Williams: After several hours of Cantor supporters attempting to block a vote on the Speaker of the House, it seems the Hoyer/King coalition, if there is one, has gotten their way and it looks like we’ll have voting commence shortly on if there will be a new Speaker…and the vote will commence now…to be honest with all of you out there, I’m not sure if there is enough time to even elect a new Speaker with 113 minutes before Speaker Cantor becomes President…

Congressman Kevin McCarthy, Republican Majority Whip: “I nominate SPEAKER Eric Cantor of Virginia for Speaker of the United States House of Representatives McCarthy’s vote is greeted by a thunderous applause from the Cantor supporters in the House of Representatives…

The camera pans to Congressman Steny Hoyer who is standing next to Congressman Peter King…Congressman Hoyer: “I nominate General Colin Luther Powell for Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.” Congressman Hoyer’s nomination is greeted by a smile from Congressman King as what seems like much of the House cheers in favor of Powell…

“Congressman Ackerman…Powell…”

“Congresswoman Adams…Cantor…”

“Congressman Aderholt…Cantor…”

“Congressman Akin…Powell…”

“Congressman Alexander…Cantor…”

“Congressman Altmire…Powell”

“Congressman Amash…Powell”

“Congressman Andrews…Powell”

“Congressman Austria…Powell…”

“Congressman Baca…Powell…”

“Congresswoman Bachmann…Cantor”

“Congressman Bachus…Cantor”

“Congresswoman Baldwin…Powell”

Anderson Cooper: Out of the first 13 Representatives called…8 voted for General Powell…5 voted for Cantor…not a good sampling…not sure if this is an indication of what’s to come…

DRUDGE REPORT: MIDNIGHT: PRESIDENT CANTOR? PRESIDENT POWELL?

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »

Called it at 'even more than fifteen years ago'.

This is absolutely amazing. Best running timeline on the forum now.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »

This is really good.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »

Masterpiece Smiley

I'm not saying that often, but this is really a masterpiece.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »

Brilliant! I didn't even know that was possible!
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »

11:53pm…

Wolf Blitzer: It seems that the real winners tonight are the Clerks in the House, they managed to blast through the list of representatives…and now we finally have a Speaker-elect who will be sworn in momentarily…

With a margin of 292 to 143 votes…General Colin Powell will be sworn in shortly as Speaker of the House of Representatives –the first time someone not in Congress has been elected as Speaker –and at midnight, he will resign the Speakership to become the 47th President of the United States.

All House Democrats voted for Powell and 100 Republicans supported Powell.

11:55pm…

Colin Powell enters the House chambers, having arrived secretly a few hours ago, to a thundering applause from the people gathered there.

11:57pm

General Colin Powell is sworn in as Speaker of the House of Representatives…now former Speaker Eric Cantor is nowhere to be seen.

12:00am – June 3rd 2012

Speaker Powell resigns as Speaker and is sworn in as the 47th President of the United States

12:02am – June 3rd 2012

Brian Williams: ”Colin Luther Powell is now the 47th President of the United States…he is the second black President and the first completely unelected President of the United States…he is also the first person to be a Speaker of the House of Representatives without having been a member of Congress…President Powell is on his way to the White House right now…due to the lack of White House aides, President Powell has asked the Spokesperson for Nancy Pelosi to be his interim Press Secretary…the Spokesperson has released a brief statement saying that President Powell will address the nation later on June 3rd….a vote for a new Speaker of the House of Representatives will take place shortly…”

2:07am – June 3rd 2012

Wolf Blitzer: ”This is a very late night in American politics. It seems that only some Democrats respected the agreement that Nancy Pelosi and Peter King made together –they voted Colin Powell into the Presidency…in the first round of voting for  a new Speaker, Nancy Pelosi defeated Eric Cantor but both lost to Peter King by a plurality of the vote…in the second round of voting for Speaker Peter King defeated Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi and Democratic leadership voted for King to honor their end of the bargain. Peter King will be sworn in shortly as the new Speaker of the House of Representatives –presumably for the remainder of 112th Congress.”

3:15am – June 3rd 2012

Bill O’Reilly: ”I have a source who is telling me that President Powell has summoned President Obama’s old cabinet back to the White House.”

White House: ”The President has made orders for an appropriate response to today’s terrorist attacks around the world. US Armed Forces are at a heightened state of alert and those responsible for these attacks will be brought to justice.”

Mitt Romney: ”Today shows the true strength of the American Constitution.”

DRUDGE REPORT: PRESIDENT POWELL
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »

I fear Cantor is planning something nasty.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2011, 11:38:42 AM by sirnick »

9:30am – June 3rd 2012

President Powell met with President Obama’s former cabinet this morning and in a statement released by the White House, he has asked a number of them to come back to Washington DC to take up their old jobs until January 20, 2013. The members of the Cabinet who accepted the invitation to come back are Leon Panetta (Dept of Defense), Kenneth Salazar (Dept of Interior), Thomas Vilsack (Dept of Agriculture), John Bryson (Dept of Commerce), Hilda Solis (Dept of Labor), Kathleen Sebelius (Dept of Health & Human Services), Shaun Donovan (Housing & Urban Development), and Ray LaHood (Dept of Transportation). It is unclear if these candidates need to be confirmed by the Senate once again.

The President also moved to immediately appoint a long time associate as his Chief of Staff and called on the Senate to act with haste and confirm his Cabinet within a day.
The Democratic National Convention will resume a 7am on June 4th.

Presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney says he approves of the new President but adds in that “this type of thing cannot happen again. We need to take measures to assure that succession to the Presidency isn’t made into a political game.”

Independent Candidate Donald Trump says that ”I like Powell. He’s a trustworthy guy. Lot of integrity. He knows China. He won’t get us ripped off.

Independent Candidate Michael Bloomberg comments on the matter…”I had the honor of being endorsed for Mayor by President Powell in 2009…I endorse his Presidency…I hope that this type of problem that we’ve had these past few months never repeats itself…He is as much of a symbol of what America is more than anyone I know…perfect example of what the American dream is…”

8:00pm – Colin Powell addresses the nation from the Oval Office…

“My fellow Americans, I speak to you today due to the resiliency of the United States Constitution and in hopes that I can provide the nation with steadfast leadership over the coming months –which we have not had in some time. Yesterday, American targets were attacked around the world by supporters of the North Korean government. This has been confirmed by our own intelligence and our allies. A US military base was attacked in South Korea near the 42nd parallel which divides North and South Korea. A short while later, a bomb exploded outside of the US Embassy in Berlin killing both German and American citizens…the third attack was on a US Military Barracks in South Korea where North Korean soldiers, disguised as vigilantes, opened fire on the barracks…

Our military did respond even with the failed leadership of the past few months. The United States has planned for these kind of situations and our military commanders followed protocol to respond to these attacks…Upon assuming office I ordered all US forces around the world to a heightened state of security and I have ordered a military response to the North Korean attacks which is on going.

Today, I called back President Obama’s cabinet to the White House and gave many of them their jobs back. We need experienced leadership during this time –and I have faith in them to follow my leadership and execute their jobs to the highest caliber…

I understand that my ascension to the Presidency comes at a time of turmoil for the country. Our country needs stability in a leader –and the past few months you have had neither a leader nor stability due to this I will be staying on as President until January 20, 2013. It is my goal to help guide the country back into an era of security and prosperity… I will appoint a Democratic Vice President in the coming days…

I want to address the way in wish I came into this office. It was not ideal, it was unprecedented but it was legal…I will pursue legislation that will make succession to the Presidency more stringent so it cannot be made into a political game by Congress…

Presidency

44 –  Barack H. Obama January 20, 2009 – November 11, 2011
45 – Joseph R. Biden – November 11, 2011

46 – John A. Boehner – November 11, 2011 – June 2, 2012
47 – Colin L. Powell – June 3rd, 2012 – Present

Vice Presidency

47 – Joseph R. Biden – January 20, 2009 – November 11, 2011
Vacant – November 11, 2011 - Present
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

Can we really consider Biden a president? He was never sworn in. I think future lists will omit him. I don't feel like the presidency is this "The President is dead. Long live the President!"-ish
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

Can we really consider Biden a president? He was never sworn in. I think future lists will omit him. I don't feel like the presidency is this "The President is dead. Long live the President!"-ish

Honorable mention? Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »

Honorable mention? Tongue

Sure, why not? But let's be sure we don't become like those South American countries that have either 15 presidents or 50, depending on how you count. (Well, that's more African, but...)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »

MIND. BLOWN. I never thought...wow. Just wow.

Can I write the bio for the 47th president now?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »

MIND. BLOWN. I never thought...wow. Just wow.

Can I write the bio for the 47th president now?
Sure
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »

Again... Accession to the office is automatic, swearing-in is merely a ceremonial formality from the legal point of view.

For example, Biden took an oath as Vice President before 12.00 AM, but didn't become Vice President until that moment. Obama took an oath later, but formally became President few minutes before.

Constitution is pretty clear about this. ITTL, Biden was technically President for few hours/minutes, even if he didn't take an oath nor even knew about his "promotion".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »

Awesome. Has the dawn after the American Nightmare arrived? Or is it just a brief respite?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »

Again... Accession to the office is automatic, swearing-in is merely a ceremonial formality from the legal point of view.

For example, Biden took an oath as Vice President before 12.00 AM, but didn't become Vice President until that moment. Obama took an oath later, but formally became President few minutes before.

Constitution is pretty clear about this. ITTL, Biden was technically President for few hours/minutes, even if he didn't take an oath nor even knew about his "promotion".

I'm well aware of the constitutionality of this, but might convenience... exempt him?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »

Powell can't be president. You have to be a member of the house (which Powell is not) to be elected as Speaker.  Cantor is the rightful president according to the 25th Amendment.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »

Awesome. Has the dawn after the American Nightmare arrived? Or is it just a brief respite?

We'll have to wait for the next update! Might be a matter of opinion, Donald Trump is running for President after all. I'd like to think I write his quotes pretty accurately to what he'd say in real life.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »

Powell can't be president. You have to be a member of the house (which Powell is not) to be elected as Speaker.  Cantor is the rightful president according to the 25th Amendment.

No, you don't.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/memberfaq.aspx
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »

No, you don't.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/memberfaq.aspx

Boom, roasted.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »

Don't be a buzzkill, this is sirnick's tl so he can do what he wants to do
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »

Next Update: Barack Obama isn't really dead, Professor X moved his soul to another body. Constitutional Crisis or Mutant Takeover?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Next Update: Barack Obama isn't really dead, Professor X moved his soul to another body. Constitutional Crisis or Mutant Takeover?

Where in the hell did that come from? I was just defending the time line
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »

I like the tl but screwing Cantor and the Tea Party IMO was not the right call. Powell is a rare liberal Republican. I see potential Third Party ramifications due to this.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

I like the tl but screwing Cantor and the Tea Party IMO was not the right call. Powell is a rare liberal Republican. I see potential Third Party ramifications due to this.

Man, just sit back and enjoy the ride as opposed to always trying to turn it into politics. IMO, it's much cooler to have Powell than Cantor, regardless of political beliefs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies