American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:38:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Poll
Question: Continue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue  (Read 32456 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »

Next Update: Barack Obama isn't really dead, Professor X moved his soul to another body. Constitutional Crisis or Mutant Takeover?

BREAKING: Magneto elected Speaker of the House over Eric Cantor and Colin Powell in an upset. Boehner refuses to step down and is crushed by the Speaker's magnetic power. All humans will be deported to Genosha, President Magneto announced.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »

Powell can't be president. You have to be a member of the house (which Powell is not) to be elected as Speaker.  Cantor is the rightful president according to the 25th Amendment.

Don't be a buzzkill, this is sirnick's tl so he can do what he wants to do

Next Update: Barack Obama isn't really dead, Professor X moved his soul to another body. Constitutional Crisis or Mutant Takeover?

Where in the hell did that come from? I was just defending the time line

T'was a joke. Kalwejt caught on Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »

Powell can't be president. You have to be a member of the house (which Powell is not) to be elected as Speaker.  Cantor is the rightful president according to the 25th Amendment.

Don't be a buzzkill, this is sirnick's tl so he can do what he wants to do

I like the tl but screwing CantorMagneto and the Tea PartyBrotherhood of Mutants IMO was not the right call. Powell is a rare liberal RepublicanMutant. I see potential Third Party ramifications due to this.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »

June 4th 2012

The Associated Press has reported that American fighters have bombed several military targets inside North Korea. North Korea is calling the attacks “an act of war” The White House is saying that “the strikes are retaliation for the attacks on the United States” and for “North Korea to back down or face more strikes.” Hit targets included missile silos and nuclear facilities.

Germany applauds the American strikes in North Korea.

8am – Fourth round of voting for the Democratic Nomination

4,257 delegates, 2,129 to win.

WEBB: 1,065 (25% - Up 9% from last round)    
EMANUEL: 681 (16% - Up 15% from last round)
O’MALLEY:  426 (10%  - Down 10%  from last round)
FEINGOLD: 340 (8% - Down 13% from last round)
GILLIBRAND: 128 (3% -Down 7% from last round)

*Note – Emanuel isn’t officially a candidate.

After the fourth round of voting, Kirsten Gillibrand issues a statement “I am withdrawing my name as a candidate for the Democratic nomination. I ask all my delegates to throw their support behind Governor O’Malley, he is the future of this party.”

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel makes a statement ”I’m flattered to receive such a large portion of the vote, but I will not be the nominee. I will be casting my own vote for Al Gore.”

10am – Fifth Round of Voting

GORE: 1,788 (42% -Up 4% from last round)
WEBB: 1,490 (35% - Up 5% from last round)    
O’MALLEY:  553 (13%  - Up 3%  from last round_
FEINGOLD: 425 (10% - Up 2% from last round)
EMANUEL: Out
GILLIBRAND: Out

Russ Feingold, after the fifth round, issues a statement “Al Gore is a true progressive, and should have been President in 2001. We need him in office. I am throwing my support to him.”

Noon – Sixth Round of Voting…

GORE: 2,044(48% -Up 6% from last round)
WEBB: 1,702 (40% - Up 5% from last round)    
O’MALLEY:  510 (12% Down 1%  from last round)
FEINGOLD: Out

Martin O’Malley – I withdraw my name from the race to be the Democratic nominee in 2012 and hereby ask all my supporters to throw their support behind former Vice President Al Gore.

Noon – Seventh Round of Voting…

4,257 delegates, 2,129 to win

GORE: 2,384 (56% -Up 8% from last round)
WEBB: 1,873 (44% - Up 4% from last round)    
O’MALLEY:  Out
FEINGOLD: Out

“Jim, I need your help. I’ve seen you campaign, I know you wanted to get out of Washington but you’re the type of person that sees what’s wrong with Washington. Come to Washington with me. Be my Vice President.”
“I’ll do it. One term only for me.”
“Ok, but I won’t hold you to it.”

New York Times Headline: GORE/WEBB FOR THE DEMOCRATS

Democratic Nominee for President Al Gore

Democratic Nominee for Vice President Jim Webb

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »

I was rooting for Webb, so I'm glad to see him on the ticket, even if Gore's heading it. SmileySad
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

Al Gore! Excitement! Hurrah!
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »

Simultaneously on June 4th 2012 The US Senate votes by voice ballot to approve President Powell’s Cabinet picks, all of which were previously approved by the Senate.

June 2012 continued…

At the end of the day on June 4th, the DOW was up about 13%, S&P was up 4% and NASDAQ was up about 7%....so far President Powell has had a calming effect on the economy and the nation…consumer confidence is up…and more Americans think that America is heading in the right direction…

North Korea sabre-rattled after the strikes on their territory...airstrikes on their infrastructure followed after their complaints.. North Korea has backed down since, sparking speculation that Kim Jong IL is very sick and may die soon.

President Powell has announced that US forces stationed in the Mediterranean, mainly around Libya –completely ending hostilities there which had stopped after Boehner took office.
The press starts to follow up on John Boehner who seems happier than ever to be home.

Over the next few days, the DNC Convention comes to a finish with Democratic Nominee Al Gore promising to bring a “Clinton-era surplus” back to the budget, implement a comprehensive climate change bill, and vows immigration reform resembling the DREAM Act.

Colin Powell’s new senior staff leaks a list of meetings the President has with Democrats from across the country…the media has assumed these are Vice Presidential Candidates…

Former Governor Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania
Former Governor Mario Cuomo of New York
Former Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia
Former Governor Bill Ritter of Colorado
Former Governor Ted Kulongoski of Oregon
Former Governor David L. Boren of Okalhoma
Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island

The President has said he would pick someone who would not seek the Presidency in 2012.
It could be that any one of these people could also be considered for a position in the cabinet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »

Powell/Nunn administration would be interesting example of a team of two highly experienced caretakers.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »

I'd give you guys a long update tonight but I'm having a hard time deciding on Powell's pick.

---

June 11th 2011
”Sir, I know we’re announcing our Vice Presidential pick today –but as of a few minutes ago—so is the President.”

“Are you serious? This is going to dominate the headlines for the rest of the month, we can’t afford to lose that time.”

Later that morning…

“Today, I have picked a real conservative for the Vice Presidency…someone with conservative values from the heartland of America…a Doctor who like thousands of others wants Obamacare repealed…here is the next Vice President of the United States…Senator Tom Coburn of the great state of Oklahoma!” – Republican Nominee Mitt Romney speaking to supporters

Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma is the Republican nominee for Vice President

DRUDGE REPORT: GORE/WEBB V. ROMNEY/COBURN V. BLOOMBERG/? V. TRUMP/?
Foucaulf
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

This is absolutely amazing. Best running timeline on the forum now.

Political timelines don't get better than this, though I wished you could focus on the world at large (don't tell me NATO's still doing air raids over Libya?). I'm hoping that election 2012 ends up like 1824.

On the Biden issue: maybe you could rewrite it so that the Vice President dies before Obama. Although that would be unprecedented, the presidency should skip right to the Speaker.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:42 AM »

Political timelines don't get better than this, though I wished you could focus on the world at large (don't tell me NATO's still doing air raids over Libya?). I'm hoping that election 2012 ends up like 1824.

On the Biden issue: maybe you could rewrite it so that the Vice President dies before Obama. Although that would be unprecedented, the presidency should skip right to the Speaker.

Why to make such a big deal? Day of three Presidents in row is quite interesting development to just rewrite this.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:48 AM »

The Biden idea is an interesting one, but I'm willing to keep it the way it is and watch you guys debate over it --just how real historians of the Constitution would Cheesy

I'll make an update a little more world oriented soon.

In regards to the Libya airstrikes by NATO, lets say they ended in late 2011 but NATO still maintained a military presence in the region to deter further atrocities on the people of Libya.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »

Around noon at the White House on June 11th 2012

“Sorry for the delay on this. I expect the Senate to get to confirming these fine Americans, immediately. I want expediency…my administration is going to fully cooperate with the Senate and House as long as we’re not making political games out of America’s future…

My nominee for Vice President of the United States will be former Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia…

Senator Richard Lugar has agreed to drop his reelection bid to serve as Secretary of State…
Austan Goolsbee will be my nominee for Secretary of the Treasury…
Solicitor General Donald Verrilli Jr  will be my nominee for Attorney General…
Daniel Poneman will be my nominee for Secretary of Energy…
Former Governor Jeb Bush has agreed to serve as Secretary of Education…
Former Senator Max Cleland will be my nominee for Secretary of Veterans Affairs…
Former Senator Chuck Hagel has agreed to be Secretary of Homeland Security…

Katie Couric: Do you think President Powell picking former Sam  Nunn really shows that he is dedicated to only being a caretaker President?

Mike Huckabee: Katie, I think this pick was a safe pick and a smart pick. There’s no question that Colin Powell will have policy proposals in the coming weeks, but his pick of Sam Nunn shows he’s serious about America’s standing with the world –and not concerned with picking a successor.

Katie Couric: What about President Powell’s Cabinet choices?

Mike Huckabee: Once again, he’s made safe choices in his Cabinet, putting back people who have already done the job, people already inside that particular Department or outside experts in these fields…I probably don’t agree with each individuals viewpoints, but these choices by President Powell were smart and safe. Remember, President Boehner couldn’t get anyone to sign onto the job.

Katie Couric: Do you see any future Presidential contenders in the Cabinet?

Mike Huckabee: Other than Jeb Bush, no. Bush is speculated to run every  4 years, I’m sure 2016 will be no different.

June 2012 Head-To-Head Match Up:

Gore/Webb: 38%
Romney/Coburn: 30%
Bloomberg: 21%
Trump: 11%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »

Jeb's in the cabinet! Good VP pick, btw, despite him being out of office 16 years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

Lugar is one of the extremely few Republicans I'd never want to see leaving the Senate Sad
allnjhaugh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -0.87

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »

I'm sensing not much of a future for Bush now?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

The president's are:
44th President:
Barack H. Obama
Illionis
Democrat
2009-2011
First African-American president, first mixed-race president, first Hawaii-born president, first president born outside the contiguous United States, 16th Democrat elected, first president since JFK to be assassinated, second from Illinois to be assassinated (Abraham Lincoln), 5th overall (Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley, John F. Kennedy).

45th President:
Joe R. Biden
Delaware
Democrat
2011-2011
Second Catholic president, first president from Delaware, shortest term as president (several minutes/hours), 10th President to ascend to the presidency (John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford), 6th president to be assassinated (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy, Obama).

46th President:
John A. Boehner
Ohio
Republican
2011-2012
Second president to resign, first House Speaker to become president after the deaths of the President and Vice President, 3rd Catholic president (Kennedy, Biden). Presidency marred by severe depression after death of wife. Second president to resign (Richard Nixon), 11th President to ascend to the presidency (Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden), 2nd President to not be elected by the people (Gerald Ford).

47th President:
Colin L. Powell
New York
Republican
2012-pres.
First wholly unelected president, second House Speaker to ascend to the presidency (Boehner), second African-American president (Obama). 12th president to ascend to the presidency (Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden), 3rd president unelected by the people (Ford, Boehner).

Anything I missed for Powell?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »

Does Ford count in the "wholly unelected President" group?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

Does Ford count in the "wholly unelected President" group?

Ford at least was elected to the Congress. Powell never was elected to anything in his life and became President, well, due to some invention in using House rules.

EDIT: I see what you mean. I guess we can separate elective politicians who later became unelected Presidents (Ford, Boehner) from Powell.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

Will be away for a few days, I'll update when I return
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »

Jon Stewart: "I will not be a candidate for President. It's a sad reflection on the state of our country that people are asking me to run.

June 15th 2012

President Colin Powell’s six cabinet choices are confirmed by the Senate today. Republicans forced a roll call vote for Austan Goolsbee who was confirmed 83-7.
Michael Bloomberg is set to make a major announcement today –what we think will be his Vice Presidential pick…

“It’s clear to me that the two parties in Washington are too partisan to get anything done. The future of the country has been in their hands for too long –and they’ve fumbled the ball. We need an independent mind in the White House and my Presidency will provide just that…my Vice Presidential nominee will be…”

….former Governor Jon Huntsman of Utah. Huntsman also served as Ambassador to China under President Barack Obama.

“Governor Huntsman proved himself a pragmatic centrist while in office…”

Chris Wallace: Huntsman’s acceptance of a Vice Presidential spot on an independent ticket will be seen as treason to the Republican Party…Huntsman was an effective Governor…going to help Bloomberg’s ticket…Huntsman is popular with independents…as is the Mayor…

Drudge Report: Who will Trump pick?

Trump: ”My Vice President is going to blow everyone else out of the water.”

Webb: ”I’ll give Mayor Bloomberg credit for picking a pseudo-Progressive for Vice President –but people like Jon Huntsman are feigning any passion for real change…the guy dabbled a little here..a little there…just to look like a moderate. It’s a façade.”

Coburn: ”I was disappointed with Governor Huntsman in the Republican debates…he made a comment about how we need to talk to China about cyber security issues…well why didn’t he do that when he was Ambassador to China?”

Associated Press: ”Donald Trump has kept his hand close to his chest…we don’t know what’s coming…but we think he will announce on July 4th 2012.

Remainder of June…

The intervention in Libya has, for the most part, come to a close. NATO forces are still in the region but with a smaller presence and no airstrikes are ongoing. The goal of the NATO forces there is just to act as a deterrent to Qaddafi trying to kill his own people.

Syria is in a full scale upheaval –the French, Italians, British and Germans have intervened with air support for the rebel forces. The “coalition” forces are also being helped by a number of smaller countries. The Arab world, including Turkey, has voiced opposition to the intervention but has largely avoided doing anything as long as Israel stayed out of it.

The State Department confirms that Kim Jong-IL has died in North Korea. An internal leadership battle is ensuing. Reports confirm that President Powell is considering more airstrikes on the rogue country.
The US economy seems to be lifting out of its slump…unemployment is still high, inflation is rising but consumer spending has improved as well as what Americans think about the future…

President Powell remains immensely popular…former Senator Sam Nunn is confirmed by Congress as Vice President after some stalling from the House. All of Eric Cantor’s supporters voted against the confirmation of the Vice President. Vice President Nunn was unanimously confirmed in the Senate.

President Powell has also asked Congress to put a robust jobs bill on his desk and says that  “Congress will have no summer break this year. If Americans are working, Congress is working.”

Powell also announced that he will appoint Canadian born former Governor Jennifer Granholm of Michigan to the Supreme Court to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who passed away in April. President Boehner had made no move to replace the late Justice. Republicans comment on the appointment saying that the President is “copping out on conservative principles.”

Justice Granholm?

In addition, other countries have taken to President Powell’s presidency positively.

The Looming Battle:

Gore/Webb v. Romney/Coburn v. Bloomberg/Huntsman v. Trump/???
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »

Not Granholm?! Angry Sad
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2011, 10:47:48 PM by sirnick »

PRESS CONFERENCE:

REPORTER: "Mr. President, there is quite a bit of talk about whether you are the 46th or 47th President of the United States...mainly if Vice President Joe Biden ascended to the Presidency after the President's death...what are your thoughts on it?"

POWELL: "Joe Biden was the 45th President of the United States. What happened last November was a crime against this country and the world. Its a shame that he had to become President in those circumstances...but no matter for how short a period...Joe Biden was the President.

July 4th 2012

Donald Trump: “Look, I wanted to let you know –that I offered the Vice Presidency to Mitt Romney –because I like him –but on his own he’s going to lose.  I told him instead of losing he could win as my Vice President, but he turned me down. Now he’s going to lose.

This guy –who I picked for Vice President –knows how to deal with China. China’s been ripping us off for years –and he’s going to help us get a great deal –not a good deal but a great deal.  He knows how our military works having been the Commander of United States Pacific Command…here is…Admiral Joseph Prueher the next Vice President of the United States…”

Admiral Joseph Prueher in his heyday. Will this be the next Vice President of the United States?

Drudge Report: TRUMP FILLS OUT TICKET WITH ADMIRAL – SNOOZER!
GORE/WEBB V. ROMNEY/COBURN V. BLOOMBERG/HUNTSMAN V. TRUMP/PRUEHER
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »

Actually, that's kind of a cool choice. I like the rather unorthodox VP picks. Hope to see all four guys win states. Smiley please though, don't give Jenny the satisfaction of SCOTUS.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »

July 2012 Polling…

President Powell Approval:

Strongly Approve: 45%
Approve: 33%
Disapprove:11%
Strongly Disapprove: 8%

Do you approve of President Powell’s appointment of Democratic Senator Sam Nunn to the Vice Presidency?

Yes: 83%
No: 7%
Not Sure:  10%

Do you approve of President Powell’s appointment of former Governor Jennifer Granholm to the Supreme Court?

Yes: 25%
No: 30%
Not Sure: 45%

If the 2012 election were held today, who would you cast your vote for?

Romney/Coburn: 28%
Gore/Webb: 25%
Bloomberg/Huntsman: 26%
Trump/Prueher: 13%
Not Sure: 8%

Pundits: The Gore/Webb ticket seems to be bleeding voters to Bloomberg. Serious problem or temporary fluctuation?

Is…qualified to be President?

Al Gore: 78% Yes, 15% No, 7% Not Sure
Mitt Romney: 62% Yes, 33% No, 5% Not Sure
Michael Bloomberg: 60% Yes, 27% No, 13% Not Sure
Jim Webb: 53% Yes, 23% No, 24% Not Sure
Jon Huntsman: 52% Yes, 30% No, 18% Not Sure
Tom Coburn:  45% Yes, 18% No, 37% Not Sure
Donald Trump: 32% Yes, 63% No, 5% Not Sure
Joseph Prueher: 8% Yes, 48% No, 44% Not Sure
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to: