American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Continue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: American Nightmare - Finished w/ epilogue  (Read 32435 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »

46th47th President of the United States?

Remember poor Joe Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »

When historians look back at 2011-2012, it will seem to be the most chaotic time in American history.

Three presidents in a matter of months, with an election coming up. Country more divided than ever. Economy is (likely) in the sh*tter.

This is awesome, really excited for the next update.

Our crisis of the Third Century?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »

June 2nd 2012 continued….

After the terrorist attacks voting at the Democratic National Convention is put on hold while Nancy Pelosi and every Democrat in Congress gets on flights back to Washington DC…several private sponsors have offered their private jets to help Congressman return to Washington DC…
Speaker Cantor quickly heard rumor of the possible attack on his Speakership –and what he thought would be his Presidency –and called his supporters back to Washington as well. The press also was given word by aides to Congressman and Senators that many of them were heading back to Washington –it was impossible to keep secret especially since the Democratic National Convention was put on hold while it happened.

Along the way, Nancy Pelosi had a conversation with the Democratic Caucus’ leadership in a quick conference call…

“We need to block Cantor from becoming President. He’s been the one person telling Boehner not to resign. He’ll ride this out until January 2012 and we don’t know who will be in office then.”
“We can support the Republicans in replacing Cantor with Peter King. I know his staffers are already rallying support.”

“Would King step aside after becoming President for a Democratic Vice President?”
“I don’t know but why elevate him when we don’t have to. Let’s elevate a Democrat.”
“It’s easier to elevate King, they need us to support him in order to do it.”

“Who would our Democratic Speaker be?”

“It can be someone from outside the House, but it’s unprecedented.”
“I would do it.”

“Nancy, it can’t be you. Republicans can’t support you.”

“I was Speaker, I’ve have the intelligence briefings…”

“We need moderate Republicans to do this. The moderates are going to balk at the idea. You need to be the dealmaker not the deal breaker.”

“I have an idea.”

A little while later on a phone call between Congressman King and Congresswoman Pelosi

”Fine, we’ll do that –only if your caucus supports me for Speaker after the new Speaker ascends to the Presidency.”

“If the Muslim hearings stop, I can see my caucus supporting that for the sake of the country.”

Next: Battle for the Presidency
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »

Epic!!!!!!!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »

Holy...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

If this happened in real life, a few states would have already suceeded and the DOW Jones would be at like 6,000 pts.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

If this happened in real life, a few states would have already suceeded and the DOW Jones would be at like 6,000 pts.

I'd be praying for a coup by now.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

Pretty Much, The Deep south and the Carolinas would be separate

Great TL though
Lord Byron
Rookie
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »

Here's how you can make the aftermath of Obama's assassination worse: Have a right-wing radio talk show host (Michael Savage, (1) probably), celebrate Obama's death and say Jefferson's quote about the tree of liberty. 

(This was a plot point in another Obama shot story on alternatehistory.com, which had Glenn Beck (even he wouldn't do this after Obama's death) make this quote.)

All he** breaks loose.

(1) If you listened to Michael Savage, he makes Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity sound sane.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »

So basically the presidents are:

44th President:
Barack H. Obama
Illionis
Democrat
2009-2011
First African-American president, first mixed-race president, first Hawaii-born president, first president born outside the contiguous United States, 16th Democrat elected, first president since JFK to be assassinated, second from Illinois to be assassinated (Abraham Lincoln), 5th overall (Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley, John F. Kennedy).

45th President:
Joe R. Biden
Delaware
Democrat
2011-2011
Second Catholic president, first president from Delaware, shortest term as president (several minutes/hours), 5th President to ascend to the presidency (Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford), 6th president to be assassinated (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy, Obama).

46th President:
John A. Boehner
Ohio
Republican
2011-2012
Second president to resign, first House Speaker to become president after the deaths of the President and Vice President. Presidency marred by severe depression after death of wife. Second president to resign (Richard Nixon), 6th President to ascend to the presidency (A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden), 2nd President to not be elected by the people (Gerald Ford).

47th President:
Eric I. Cantor
Virginia
Republican
2012-2013
Second House Speaker to ascend to the presidency (John Boehner). 7th President to ascend to the presidency (A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden, Boehner). 3rd President to not be elected by the people (Ford, Boehner).

I'm assuming that Cantor won't run.

Is this mostly right?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »

6th President to ascend to the presidency (Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford)

You forgot John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, Calvin Coolidge and Harry Truman. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »

6th President to ascend to the presidency (Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford)

You meant Millard Fillmore.  Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »

You meant Millard Fillmore.  Wink

Actually, I meant the dude from Philip Roth's novel. I thought his name was Zachary Taylor.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 12:01:57 AM by MAINEiac4434 »

OK, so here's the updated version of the list of presidents (Updated Cantor, King and Boehner):

44th President:
Barack H. Obama
Illionis
Democrat
2009-2011
First African-American president, first mixed-race president, first Hawaii-born president, first president born outside the contiguous United States, 16th Democrat elected, first president since JFK to be assassinated, second from Illinois to be assassinated (Abraham Lincoln), 5th overall (Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley, John F. Kennedy).

45th President:
Joe R. Biden
Delaware
Democrat
2011-2011
Second Catholic president, first president from Delaware, shortest term as president (several minutes/hours), 10th President to ascend to the presidency (John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford), 6th president to be assassinated (Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy, Obama).

46th President:
John A. Boehner
Ohio
Republican
2011-2012
Second president to resign, first House Speaker to become president after the deaths of the President and Vice President, 3rd Catholic president (Kennedy, Biden). Presidency marred by severe depression after death of wife. Second president to resign (Richard Nixon), 11th President to ascend to the presidency (Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden), 2nd President to not be elected by the people (Gerald Ford).

47th President:
Eric I. Cantor
Virginia
Republican
2012-2013
Second House Speaker to ascend to the presidency (John Boehner), First Jewish president. 12th President to ascend to the presidency (Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden, Boehner). 3rd President to not be elected by the people (Ford, Boehner).

OR

47th President
Peter T. King
New York
Republican
2012-2013
Second House Speaker to ascend to the presidency (John Boehner). Fourth Catholic president (Kennedy, Biden, Boehner), second House Speaker to ascend to the presidency (Boehner), 12th President to ascend to the presidency (Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, L. Johnson, Ford, Biden, Boehner) and third president not elected by the people (Ford, Boehner). Elected Speaker by Democrats and moderate Republicans (who formed a majority) on June 2, 2012, to block Eric Cantor's ascension to the presidency after the resignation of incumbent President John Boehner, effective the next morning.

Is that good better? Cantor if the Dems and Mod Goppers can't come together, King if they can.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2011, 10:33:15 PM »

Wouldn't Boehner be the 3rd Catholic President? Not that it really matters. Hey! Do you notice that all three Catholic Presidents seem to have their terms cut short?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »

Also, Cantor would be the first Jewish President.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »

Wouldn't Boehner be the 3rd Catholic President? Not that it really matters. Hey! Do you notice that all three Catholic Presidents seem to have their terms cut short?

You're right about Boehner and Cantor. Update coming.

That is odd. Only Protestants can have full terms?

I'm sure eventually we'll have a Catholic who'll live a full term. We're going to have one who's going to live two terms.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

I'm glad the timeline is getting a lot of attention, but lets avoid jumping the gun. Don't take me commenting on this as a confirmation or rejection of what you think is going to happen --but wait until the next President is sworn in before you write their biography Wink
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:50 AM »

OK, so here's the updated version of the list of presidents (Updated Cantor, King and Boehner):

47th President:
Eric I. Cantor

or

47th President
Peter T. King

I appreciate the effort you're putting into this, but until the 47th President is sworn in in the timeline, lets avoid the autobiographies. Its a bit misleading (its clear in the timeline that there are more than two options for Speaker).
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 10:09:03 PM by sirnick »

“Will you do it?”

“Absolutely not.”

“You may be the only person that this coalition can agree on. It is unprecedented but its allowed. If we take unprecedented action and throw in someone the country isn’t comfortable with, we’re going to get hell –look this is only until January.”

“You say that as if this will be a breeze.”

“We don’t have much time. If we don’t act before midnight, Cantor will be President.”

“I’ll let you know within an hour.”

Meanwhile….

“Mr. Speaker, we have reason to believe that some coalition is going to call a vote on the floor of the House tonight to elect a new Speaker…”

“What? We won’t allow it. The Democrats don’t have enough votes.”

“Sir, we don’t think it’s just Democrats. Moderate Republicans are worried about reelection, they can’t defend Boehner and they can’t run against Obama anymore”

“They won’t budge. Peter King gave his loyalty to me when he voted for me as Speaker. Plus, who will they pick as Speaker? Nancy Pelosi? They don’t have enough votes in their own party to do that.”

Not long after…

“Do you think I should do it?”

“I’d fear for your safety even more than fifteen years ago, but if they’re saying you’re the only one, then you must be.”

“It would only be until January. It would be rough.”

“Don’t do it for me, or because its hard or easy –do it for our country.”

A phone rang in a limo in downtown Washington DC…

”Hello?”

“Nancy?”

“Yes?”

“I’ll do it.”

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »

The TP will be up in arms.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »

“Great news, Nancy. Lets make this happen.”

DRUDGE REPORT: HOUSE TO CALL FOR VOTE ON SPEAKER BEFORE MIDNIGHT –WHO IS THE NEXT PRESIDENT?

Brian Williams: The battle of the century is about to commence, with Republicans and Democrats on the floor of the House of Representatives going through procedures with the ultimate goal of, indirectly, selecting the next President of the United States. Steny Hoyer and Peter King are on the floor of the House of Representatives battling with supporters of Eric Cantor for control of the debate and are fighting to have a vote. We have no word on who the next Speaker will be. According to the Constitution the Speaker does not have to be a member of the House of Representatives or Congress.

Anderson Cooper: Tea Party activists are already saying that even attempting to pick a new Speaker at this point is subverting the Constitution and playing politics a serious moment in American history –a President resigning on the day of a terrorist attack, and Congress is trying to undermine the current Speaker.

James Carville: A bold and possible politically disastrous move by the Democrats in the House who seem to think, or know, they have support from a good number of Republicans, I can’t imagine who they’re going to try to vote into office. Hillary Clinton is nowhere near DC right now, neither is Al Gore or any of the Democratic candidates.

BBC Headline: AMERICAN LEADERSHIP CRISIS – WHO WILL SUCCEED BOEHNER?
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »

YES
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

Can't Cantor just get sworn in before a vote takes place? Also, isn't King a Conservahack? Why would he go with the Dems?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

Can't Cantor just get sworn in before a vote takes place? Also, isn't King a Conservahack? Why would he go with the Dems?

If midnight hits, and the vote is still on going, or hasn't taken place, then Cantor will be sworn in.
King is pretty conservative, but remember he lost to Cantor for Speaker and has been at odds with Cantor since. Part of the deal was that Democrats supported King for Speaker if they manage to push this mysterious coalition person into the Presidency.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies