Strickland: Obama will likely carry OH again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:14:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Strickland: Obama will likely carry OH again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Strickland: Obama will likely carry OH again  (Read 1181 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »

"Former Ohio Gov Ted Strickland sees little chance for any Republican to win his home state in the 2012 election, except perhaps for Mitt Romney, and dismissed the bulk of the GOP field as sounding like “crazy” people in an interview with POLITICO Tuesday.

In a visit to the POLITICO newsroom, Strickland named Romney as potentially the one Republican who might be a credible challenger for President Barack Obama in the Buckeye State. He blasted other candidates – specifically naming Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann – for their down-the-line opposition to raising the debt limit, despite the risk of economic “destruction for the country.”

The one who seems to be the most rational is Romney. I don’t want him to be president, but at least he doesn’t sound like a crazy person,” Strickland said. "

“I don’t think anyone currently running for president can beat the president” in Ohio, said Strickland, predicting that backlash against his successor, Republican Gov. John Kasich, would help buoy Obama in the state."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59973.html

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

Strickland clearly understands the voice of the people. I mean, thats why he was reelected right......? Wink
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »

How is this even remotely relevant?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »

Strickland clearly understands the voice of the people. I mean, thats why he was reelected right......? Wink

Meh, you have a point, but at the same time, he did about as well as any incumbent Democratic governor was going to do in Ohio last year.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59175.html

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper predicted that President Barack Obama will have to fight hard to keep his state in the Democratic column in 2012, four years after Obama thumped John McCain there by a 9-point margin.

Hmm...the loser and winner of 2010 are going in opposite directions.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

Meh, you have a point, but at the same time, he did about as well as any incumbent Democratic governor was going to do in Ohio last year.
Thats true. My bet (and wish) is to see OH, NC, PA, FL, and IN flip.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »

Huntsman could probably win Ohio if pigs flew and he magically got the nomination. Of course he's too sane for that to happen.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »

Trust me, PA won't flip before Colorado, Nevada, or Virginia. Probably not Wisconsin or New Hampshire either.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »

At least some of McCain's problems in Ohio last time seemed to stem from the lack of robustness in his campaign operations in the state.  I remember reading some article from a few years ago claiming that the McCain operation just didn't have enough offices or staff strength in the state in 2008.  At the same time, Obama's people were all over Ohio right from the beginning, seeing how close it had been in 2004.

I think the GOP will have a much better campaign running in Ohio this year, as they unequivocally need the state back to win.  Based on my own analysis of unemployment trends in Ohio counties the Democrats really need good margins of victory in, I think Republicans have a very good chance of recapturing the state next year, but not just with any nominee; they need someone very credible.

Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »

Because 100.00% of the people voted last November, right?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »

The main reason why Strckland was almost re-elcted was because he was running against Kasich. Ohio was going to elect a Republican to pretty much everything imaginable last year regardless of who it was because Obama's name was (is?) mud. If there was a gubernatorial race in Ohio between Strickland and Kasich any other year besides 2010, Strickland would have won easily. Now, Kasich's name is mud, not that it was much better regarded to begin with.

Strickland himself wasn't particularly popular or unpopular statewide. He is mainly regarded as a do-nothing governor since it's pretty hard to name a single important thing he did in four years. In some places that might be a horrendous insult, but in Ohio that thought is usually followed by "at least he didn't screw anything up either".

Strickland also has an electoral advantage Obama doesn't; he can carry the Southeast part of the state. That is the swingiest part of Ohio and full of West-Virginia style Democrats. Strickland cleaned up that part of the state while Obama got creamed there and will again. Obama won Ohio because he was so dominant nationally, not because he fit the demographics of the state.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »

The main reason why Strckland was almost re-elcted was because he was running against Kasich. Ohio was going to elect a Republican to pretty much everything imaginable last year regardless of who it was because Obama's name was (is?) mud. If there was a gubernatorial race in Ohio between Strickland and Kasich any other year besides 2010, Strickland would have won easily. Now, Kasich's name is mud, not that it was much better regarded to begin with.

Strickland himself wasn't particularly popular or unpopular statewide. He is mainly regarded as a do-nothing governor since it's pretty hard to name a single important thing he did in four years. In some places that might be a horrendous insult, but in Ohio that thought is usually followed by "at least he didn't screw anything up either".

Strickland also has an electoral advantage Obama doesn't; he can carry the Southeast part of the state. That is the swingiest part of Ohio and full of West-Virginia style Democrats. Strickland cleaned up that part of the state while Obama got creamed there and will again. Obama won Ohio because he was so dominant nationally, not because he fit the demographics of the state.
Yeah, President Bush could have beaten Obama in Ohio.
What are you doing out of your cage?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

Yeah, President Bush could have beaten Obama in Ohio.

What is this, I don't even.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »

Strickland should join the Forum. He would fit right in!  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2011, 11:07:28 AM by Grumpy Gramps »

Strickland should join the Forum. He would fit right in!  Smiley

Right, a red-avatar that doesn't know sh**t...........perfect fit.  Tongue

(That's a joke, I love my left friends (most of them) )
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »

Strickland should join the Forum. He would fit right in!  Smiley

Right, a red-avatar that doesn't know sh**t...........perfect fit.  Tongue

(That's a joke, I love my left friends (most of them) )

Can't you love someone who doesn't know sh*t?  I don't find your addendum inconsistent with your initial comment Grumps. Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

I appreciate Strickland's optimism, but man...if the economy doesn't improve...

I should send this to my Tea Party relatives in Ohio. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies