Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 05:52:01 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  25th Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 25th Amendment  (Read 1286 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »
Ignore

The 25Th Amendment was passed shortly after President Kennedy was assassinated. If JFK hadn't been shot would we have passed a similar bill by now? And if so what would have triggered it's passing? The attempt on Reagan's life? 9/11?
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »

While the timing might suggest it, I think the assassination of JFK had little to do with its passage. After all, the situation that occurred in 1963, was more than adequately handled under the existing Article II Section I Clause 6, since JFK died quickly.  Now if JFK had been brain-damaged but survived, it likely would have accelerated the passage of a 25th amendment, based on the Keating-Kefauver proposal of 1963 (made before JFK was shot), that only clarified this point, but did not add a mechanism for filling a Vice-Presidential vacancy.

As mentioned, the initial proposals for clarifying the provisions of Article II Section 1 Clause 6 for replacing the President when he is unable to perform the duties of the office, such as the recommendation made by the ABA in 1960, predated JFK taking office.  So if they had anything to do with Presidential health, they likely were triggered by Ike's health problems, not JFK's assassination.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:44:07 pm »
Ignore

I would think there would have had to have been some sort of mechanism for filing a Vice-Presidential vacancy at least by the time of the whole Nixon/Agnew sh**tstorm.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »
Ignore

The 25Th Amendment was passed shortly after President Kennedy was assassinated. If JFK hadn't been shot would we have passed a similar bill by now? And if so what would have triggered it's passing? The attempt on Reagan's life? 9/11?

There's no telling that those two things would happen if JFK lives. Not that he'd have any effect on them but chances are American history would be drastically changed just from that simple moment.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout