Racism in America: the Brown Paper Bag Test
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Racism in America: the Brown Paper Bag Test
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racism in America: the Brown Paper Bag Test  (Read 2734 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brown+paper+bag+test

My black-girls-of-hiphop thread might serve as a segway into this topic – I am not sure the test is still practiced (don't hang out around the black community much any more due to moving out into the sticks), but it was around in Houston during the late 80’s and early 90’s.  It certainly didn’t happen at all black parties I attended, but it was a requirement at several of the ones I attended, especially parties involving the families of black college kids I hung out with at UH.  It was a pretty shocking thing to see, but they said it wasn’t uncommon and was practiced even at some black clubs around Houston.

Interestingly, the form of the test I witnessed seemed to be mostly administered to the black girls as a litmus test and not so much the black guys.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:15:41 AM »

So do you pass it?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »

yeah, I'm white (English/German).  It was just shocking to see (though I didn't complain at the time because those girls were fine).  And interestingly, over the years there have been several blacks bring the topic up in the workplace once they learn about my background, the most recent incident being on my last day at my last job - a black lady was being given a hard time by a new male employee from India (she was a highly paid contractor who had a about 8 years experience, and he was a perm employee who had about one year experience, yet he continuously attempted to take credit for her work, but he obviously was fooling no one).  She and I had a deep discussion on my last day about sexism and racism in different cultures and how frustrated she was with this Indian, and she went off on this tangent about she had had to endure black on black racism and she mentioned the brown bag test (she didn't say if she passed it).   Then a male black coworker passed by and she pulled him into the conversation and he too was very familiar with the brown bag test.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies