My Debt Ceiling Solution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  My Debt Ceiling Solution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Debt Ceiling Solution  (Read 1175 times)
rwoy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »

Enough bull****.  Here's my start.  Give me some more ideas.

• Cut ALL government funding to Oil Companies
  • Cut ALL Defense Research Projects -- across the board, no more research on bigger guns -- a 3 year moratorium on DoD Research Projects
  • Gay Marriage Legalized in ALL states -- this will raise tax revenues
  • No More Wasting Money on Stupid things like a Blue Angels fly over at a sporting event
  • Tax the $45 Billion in remittances illegals send out of the country annually at a 25% rate
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

• Cut ALL Defense Research Projects -- across the board, no more research on bigger guns -- a 3 year moratorium on DoD Research Projects
  • No More Wasting Money on Stupid things like a Blue Angels fly over at a sporting event
  • Tax the $45 Billion in remittances illegals send out of the country annually at a 25% rate

You forgot legalising marijuana.
rwoy
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »

Ok, I'm good with that.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »

Here's what I think of your suggestions:

Enough bull****.  Here's my start.  Give me some more ideas.

Agreed, but strike out 'oil'.
Undecided I might be moved to support cuts, but flatly eliminating all defense research projects, probably not.
NO!
Yes!
rwoy
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »

Senator SayNoToRomney, how about we amend the the first point and say we cut all government funding to all companies earning reporting more than $50 million in revenue for a fiscal year?

The DoD research has to be cut across the board BECAUSE the DoD will never agree on WHAT they should cut.  Just this year they are wasting $53 BILLION on just 15 programs.  $11 BILLION of that on the F-35 (which is simply not needed).

And as for Gay Marriage ... who cares that it makes you feel yucky inside!  If you don't like it then don't participate in it.  It WILL raise tax revenues.  Get over yourself.  Some people find oral sex "yucky" but they aren't making it illegal!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »

Ok, I'll bite.  How exactly will legalizing gay marriage increase tax revenues?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »

Ok, I'll bite.  How exactly will legalizing gay marriage increase tax revenues?

I'm assuming he's talking about the bit of additional revenue that would come from a bunch of new couples filing taxes jointly and facing the marriage penalty? Or possibly the pittance of fees state governments will collect from the new marriage licenses?

I'm in favor of gay marriage, of course, but I don't see how a fiscal argument makes much sense at all. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

Congrats on five suggestions that accomplish absolutely nothing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »

While these aren't the worst ideas, they would do little for to solve the immediate debt ceiling problem.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »

Ok, I'll bite.  How exactly will legalizing gay marriage increase tax revenues?

I'm assuming he's talking about the bit of additional revenue that would come from a bunch of new couples filing taxes jointly and facing the marriage penalty? Or possibly the pittance of fees state governments will collect from the new marriage licenses?

I'm in favor of gay marriage, of course, but I don't see how a fiscal argument makes much sense at all. 

Indeed, it makes no sense at all.  There are a whole set of tax advantages that accrue to being a married couple instead of two single people.  If the Federal government were to recognize gay marriage, tax revenue would actually go down.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »

Somehow that list does not add up to 4 trillion in my mind. Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

Well you see Torie, you factor in the reduced spending from the wars and trim down on projected increases in spending and accross 10 years, I am sure even that worthless stuff can look like a 4 trillion smackers cut in the deficit. Wink Tongue
rwoy
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »

Ok, I'll bite.  How exactly will legalizing gay marriage increase tax revenues?

I'm assuming you've never gotten married.  It costs a lot.  The wedding industry generates an INSANE amount of money.  Now I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but a large # of gay men could be considered to be "flamboyant" and, therefore, highly likely to spend big on a lavish wedding.

And honestly the tax benefits of "being married" are actually quite miniscule.
rwoy
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

Nope, it just gives us a few extra billion.  But if you read carefully you wil note that I'm saying that this is a START.  And I asked for other ideas.

Hey, maybe we could do nothing about it and hope it goes away.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »

Congrats on five suggestions that accomplish absolutely nothing.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

Nope, it just gives us a few extra billion.  But if you read carefully you wil note that I'm saying that this is a START.  And I asked for other ideas.

Torie has hardly preposed to do nothing. He has gone in depth in the past on how entitlements should be reformed for one. Something both sides have appearently decided to avoid touching at all for political reasons in Washington DC.

His starting point is far higher then yours. Tongue
rwoy
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

Torie has hardly preposed to do nothing. He has gone in depth in the past on how entitlements should be reformed for one. Something both sides have appearently decided to avoid touching at all for political reasons in Washington DC.

His starting point is far higher then yours. Tongue

Ah ... ok, so he could have detailed those suggestions, simply provided a link, or even made a passing reference that somewhere on the thousands of threads on this site he put forward some ideas.  But he didn't.  Instead he and others just say "well, your ideas do nothing".

Perhaps they are right, perhaps my initial 5 ideas are the equivalent of throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.  But at least I'm throwing the deck chair.  All I see in their comments are mindless criticism (likely because I'm proposing a cut or 2 that they don't like).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

How will remittances from illegals be taxed?
    Small Business Owner of Any Repute
    Mr. Moderate
    Atlas Icon
    United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
    « Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »

This would get us, what, 0.1% of the way there? There are only two real solutions: raising taxes or raising the debt ceiling. Period. Talking about cutting waste is cool, and we absolutely should take a look at our spending priorities, but there's simply no way to spending cut our way out of this. It's window dressing for a house that's currently on fire.
    rwoy
    « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »

Again, as I said, my suggestion was a start.  Look, raising the debt ceiling is necessary ... no question about it.  But that alone isn't going to solve the problem because eventually we will need to raise the ceiling again.  So we need to raise taxes.  But that TOO is only a temporary solution because eventually we will just raise taxes to the point in which we cripple the economy.  So in the long-term we need to looking at cuts.

So ... I know there are a lot of you who want to say "your suggestions are crap because they are too small" or to say that I don't understand the scope of the problem ... but I'm here to tell you that if you think just raising the debt ceiling and raising taxes will fix the problem then clearly YOU don't understand the problem.

Look, it is easy to criticize.  I'm not pretending to have all the answers, but if you criticize me without an alternative suggestion you are a flaming idiot.
    Pages: [1]  
    « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies