Which state is more socially liberal: Colorado or Oregon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:15:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which state is more socially liberal: Colorado or Oregon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The more socially liberal state is:
Colorado

Oregon

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Which state is more socially liberal: Colorado or Oregon?  (Read 1561 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:51 AM »

So I was reading about the campaigns in Colorado to get a marijuana legalization initiative and an initiative to legalize gay marriage on the state's 2012 ballot.

Interestingly enough there are two campaigns here in Oregon for 2012 ballot measures about the same things. The organization pushing for the gay marriage initiative hasn't made an announcement yet (they're waiting until Fall to decide I believe) but the marijuana legalization initiative announced months ago and is already collecting signatures (looks very likely they'll get enough to place it on the 2012 ballot).

These two states might have two initiatives on the same issues in the same year and I started thinking about which state is more likely to pass the measures and the margins by which they pass which obviously got me thinking about which state is more socially liberal. I know historically Colorado has been seen as a red state but it's moved to swingish/purple territory in recent years and I'd say it's trending blue/Democratic lately.

So which state do you think is more socially liberal? I think it's Oregon.

(Sorry I can't post links yet and yes I am going to vote yes on both measures if they make it on our 2012 ballot Cheesy)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:28 AM »

Oregon.  Oregon has been trending liberal for quite some time, and, probably because of the growing number of Hispanics, Colorado became liberal fairly recently.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »

Oregon.  Oregon has been trending liberal for quite some time, and, probably because of the growing number of Hispanics, Colorado became liberal fairly recently.

And Colorado is still rather mixed.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »

easily Oregon. While Colorado has a lot of socially liberal areas it isn't as socially liberal in the aggregate as you have a lot of areas like Colorado Springs which are socon nests. There aren't really any areas like that in Oregon. Most Oregon republicans are in the Mark Hatfield mold and even the 2nd district (the most republican district in the state) wouldn't elect a reactionary like Doug Lamborn, Tom Tancredo, or Marilyn Musgrave.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

Both states are also somewhat polarized; Oregon's east is very conservative and Colorado has Colorado Springs.

But Oregon is more socially (and probably fiscally) liberal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2011, 12:07:53 PM by The Anti-Reagan »

Both states are also somewhat polarized; Oregon's east is very conservative and Colorado has Colorado Springs.

But Oregon is more socially (and probably fiscally) liberal.

It's not that Colorado is polarized, it has more to do with the fact that the GOP in Colorado is crazy. There are a lot of moderate Colorado Democrats, and IIRC Independents are the largest and fastest-growing group there .
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »

Oregon has a weaker GOP than does Colorado and has been a solidly 'progressive' state for a longer period of time, so I'd say Oregon.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »

Oregon has the assisted suicide law and elected John Kitzhaber Governor. Colorado is socially liberal in the sense that there's a lot of backlash against the Christian Right. But even then, they did send Tancredo to Congress, and until recently Wayne Allard.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »

Oregon is almost as socially liberal as you can get. Colorado...well, I guess its more socially liberal than conservative....but Colorado...or at least El Paso country and to an extent Pueblo county (socially conservative Hispanics?) is known for people and places like Ted Haggart and FotF.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »

I've been to Oregon, especially Portland area and been to Boulder several times. Portland is Boulder on steroids, well said.

You can compare east Oregon to east Colorado or CO Springs. Both are politcally similar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies