Curriculum Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Curriculum Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Curriculum Debate  (Read 7905 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 06:56:44 AM »

I tend to think Science is more useful than Math, but of course schools are tested on Math, so that's the most often taught subject.

We can't increase every subject, unless you cut into Summer break.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

I would have appreciated a career options course in high school.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 07:17:22 AM »

I would have appreciated a career options course in high school.

Well, we don't want to depress the poor adolescents too much!  Wink

Anyway, regarding earlier comments on sex ed - it gets a bad rap from all the prudes, but in fact its a chance for kids to learn something beyond their parents typical sick, unrealistc, and condemning attitudes about sex.  Of course I'm aware thats what purittanical/religious parents fear about it - that the truth about sex being fun - and yes, potentially non-harmful - might get out! 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 02:17:55 PM »

I tend to think Science is more useful than Math, but of course schools are tested on Math, so that's the most often taught subject.

You'll find that virtually every science uses large amounts of math. Biology, chemistry, and especially physics, all use math. Virtually all engineering is math.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 02:42:52 PM »

MUCH[/b] less emphaisis on math and science. We've focused on them for the last 40 years, enough all ready!

I agree with you here.  More history, social studies, music, art and lit.  Math and Sceince get far more attention than they deserve.  I'm a Poli. Sci. major.  I went to a school where we happened to have good history and soc. teachers; it isn't the same for the people who went to the public school accross town.  They hardly know jack about those things.  When in the  am I ever going to use Calculus?  The Cold War is over, we don't need to pump out a math and science culture to beat the Soviets anymore.  Time to think about the modern world.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 02:54:25 PM »

MUCH[/b] less emphaisis on math and science. We've focused on them for the last 40 years, enough all ready!

I guess we should continue to import all of our doctors and scientists from India.  These subjects were never my strong point, however, the future strength of any nation depends upon its scientists.  Knowing the capital of North Korea is good, but being able to develop a laser that can shoot its missiles down is better.

What is wrong with importing the brain power of other countries?  I agree that we need scientists, but the lack of understanding of the basics of history, society and government in this country is absolutly appalling.  We are disintegrating as a nation because we are losing our history and our common identity.  People are dredfully uncultured.  A lot of people are meant to be Math or Science people, they are ment to solve the problems plauging society.  Yet, these talents are not nurtured in schools and those who have them are made to feel stupid.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2004, 02:56:42 PM »

I guess we should continue to import all of our doctors and scientists from India.  These subjects were never my strong point, however, the future strength of any nation depends upon its scientists.  Knowing the capital of North Korea is good, but being able to develop a laser that can shoot its missiles down is better.

We don't know the captial now either. If you don't know where to shoot the missile, it doesn't help you very much, does it?

I wasn't saying that there should be less emphasis on geography/civics etc..  The point I was trying to make is that science and technology are vitally important and we continue to fall behind in that area. Lowering scientific emphasis would ensure that America is not the leading power in 2100. 

[thick sarcasm]

Of course, because, you know, NASA is such a wonderful way to spend the resources of our country. [/think sarcasm]
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 03:00:36 PM »

This is exactly what Huntington was talking about.

America (and the West) is losing its common identity as a civilization.  This is very dangerous for the future.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2004, 03:00:50 PM »

I find this list to be a good summary as to what should be required in math.

http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/literacy.htm
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »

I agree with you here.  More history, social studies, music, art and lit.  Math and Sceince get far more attention than they deserve.  I'm a Poli. Sci. major.  I went to a school where we happened to have good history and soc. teachers; it isn't the same for the people who went to the public school accross town.  They hardly know jack about those things.  When in the f**ck am I ever going to use Calculus?  The Cold War is over, we don't need to pump out a math and science culture to beat the Soviets anymore.  Time to think about the modern world.

The schools will stop teaching it excessivly when the feds stop testing if excessivly. Schools teach to the test because they need the money. Standardized tests are a whole other issue.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2004, 05:16:14 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2004, 05:22:31 PM by Senator-Elect Gabu »

You'll find that virtually every science uses large amounts of math. Biology, chemistry, and especially physics, all use math. Virtually all engineering is math.

Yeah, what he said.

I'm taking two courses in physics next semester.  Guess what they use extensively?  The math I learned this semester.

Of course, there are more abstract fields of math that I agree don't have much use in the real world.  I like them because they're nifty, but they're certainly not going to help you do anything in life.

I will admit that there are other things that should be given emphasis as well.  History is a huge one.  Everyone should know history, lest it repeat itself.  However, stuff like higher levels of English should not be required.  Once you're literate, being able to analyze the theme in a novel and then write an essay on it is not going to allow you to put food on your table.  It should certainly be there as an option for those who like that stuff, but I don't think your life would be incomplete if you didn't do that.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2004, 05:20:36 PM »

Yeah, what he said.

I'm taking two courses in physics next semester.  Guess what they use extensively?  The math I learned this semester.

Of course, there are more abstract fields of math that I agree don't have much use in the real world.  I like them because they're nifty, but they're certainly not going to help you do anything in life.

Fine, Math is useful, but we have to cut back on something if we want to increase something else.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2004, 05:23:53 PM »

Yeah, what he said.

Fine, Math is useful, but we have to cut back on something if we want to increase something else.

Well, yes.  I don't know what we'd cut (other than what I said above); I agree that pretty much most of it is useful and I don't think students would exactly like longer days or a shorter summer holiday.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2004, 05:25:50 PM »

Yeah, what he said.

Well, yes.  I don't know what we'd cut (other than what I said above); I agree that pretty much most of it is useful and I don't think students would exactly like longer days or a shorter summer holiday.

Do you mean stuff like Calculus? (sp?)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2004, 05:27:45 PM »

Yeah, what he said.

No, I edited my post; check it again.  I meant stuff like higher-level English, although if Calculus is taught in high schools in America (it's not here), I do agree that that shouldn't be required.  For people who aren't going to be continuing on into university, it's not really useful.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 05:29:48 PM »

English is another subject that's almost entirely useless. All it is is reading books and trying to remember stuff about them.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 05:45:57 PM »

English is another subject that's almost entirely useless. All it is is reading books and trying to remember stuff about them.

I know this is going to shock you, but I completely agree. Wink

It should be available in high school if people want it, but it shouldn't be required.
Trilobyte

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 06:25:32 PM »

[thick sarcasm]

Of course, because, you know, NASA is such a wonderful way to spend the resources of our country. [/think sarcasm]

I truely think there is no better way to spend resources than advancing human knowlege. They're much better spent than the billions wasted in defence. NASA, for all its flaws, is responsible for some of mankind's greatest achievements.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2004, 06:51:46 PM »

[thick sarcasm]

I truely think there is no better way to spend resources than advancing human knowlege. They're much better spent than the billions wasted in defence. NASA, for all its flaws, is responsible for some of mankind's greatest achievements.

What has NASA done in the last twenty years? Could the funding have better gone to Health Care, Education, or general domestic spending?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2004, 06:53:06 PM »

Yeah, what he said.

No, I edited my post; check it again.  I meant stuff like higher-level English, although if Calculus is taught in high schools in America (it's not here), I do agree that that shouldn't be required.  For people who aren't going to be continuing on into university, it's not really useful.

I think knowing Shakespeare is part of the cultural/historic brain gap that is threatening us, we don't know who MLK is, we don't know what Shakespeare did, we don't know where Iraq is, and that needs to be changed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2004, 07:16:38 PM »

I think knowing Shakespeare is part of the cultural/historic brain gap that is threatening us, we don't know who MLK is, we don't know what Shakespeare did, we don't know where Iraq is, and that needs to be changed.

True.  I did say that history is very important, if you check my post, and I think geography would go along with that.  I do agree that some parts of English are certainly useful in establishing a knowledge base.  Most of it, however, I found to be completely useless.  As I said, I don't think that being able to analyze the theme in a novel or whatever is going to help you with anything.
Trilobyte

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2004, 08:30:54 PM »

[thick sarcasm]

What has NASA done in the last twenty years? Could the funding have better gone to Health Care, Education, or general domestic spending?

What do you call the Hubble, Mars Pathfinder, and Cassini-Huygens? I realize they don't sound as grand as the moon-landing, but the value of a scientific endeavor is not measured by the headlines it generates. And NASA is doing all this with a fraction of the budget it had in 1969.

The recent achievements by NASA are really underrated. These projects are the result of years of hard work by some very smart and dedicated people. Most of us have no idea because we never hear about these projects, but NASA has done more than any of us could ever imagine.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2004, 08:40:02 PM »

NASA needs a major overhaul - it first off needs a serious mission with enough pressure to ensure it gets done, and second it needs utilize the private sector wherever possible. Make space profitable, and advancement will come quickly.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2004, 12:33:49 AM »

Here are the skills necessary to survive in our society:

Reading
Writing
Arithmetic

That's all that's required. Anything else schools teach children is for two purposes:

1. Keep them busy until the job market is ready for them,
2. Show future prospective employers that they can put up with bullsh**t.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2004, 06:10:26 AM »

Here are the skills necessary to survive in our society:

Reading
Writing
Arithmetic

That's all that's required. Anything else schools teach children is for two purposes:

1. Keep them busy until the job market is ready for them,
2. Show future prospective employers that they can put up with bullsh**t.

Don't forget 'computer skills'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies