2036: Reflections from our Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:04:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2036: Reflections from our Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2036: Reflections from our Presidents  (Read 10826 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

Well I had an idea. Allowing the readers on the forum to "elect" the next President....
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »

"and under the leadership of Marco Rubio, prosperity continued to reign in America during the roaring twenties." President Bush proclaimed this to a great deal of applause at the Rubio Presidential Library Dedication. As President Bush sits down at the Rubio dedication, President Hamlin is deep in thought. Not about the Marco Rubio Presidential Library, but about the current Presidential campaign. Hamlin has spent the summer months campaigning hard for Senator Manny Delgado, but strongly disagrees with his choice of Senator Cindy Tenish as his running mate. Hamlin, although candid on his opinion, favored Governor George Venson of Missouri. Venson had strong support during the Iowa caucuses, which was offset by Delgado's victories in other primary states, thus allowing him to gain the nomination. Deep down, Matt Hamlin saw George Venson as his heir apparent.

All of this comes at a price for Matt Hamlin, though. If Manny Delgado wins the election, Delgado will be inheriting a Washington deeply affected by the eight years of Hamlin's Presidency, one where liberal policies were initiated, and Hamlin fears that Delgado may stray away from the extreme liberal policies in order to offset negative political effects. However, if Nathan Coolidge wins the White House, all of Hamlin's efforts the last eight years will come to an end. Hamlin himself fears that a Coolidge Administration will do to his policies what the Bush Administration did after eight years of Bill Clinton. In this regard, Matt Hamlin is banking hard on a Delgado Presidency.

President Rubio looks up at the sunny Florida sky, aware that in 24 hours, he will be attending a rally with Governor Coolidge. Rubio has been painstakingly campaigning for the Coolidge/Burton ticket over the Summer, hoping to carry Florida, which President Hamlin won by seven points four years ago. Like most politicos, Rubio knows Delgado's Hispanic support in Florida and the Southwest jeopardizes Coolidge's chances at the Presidency. Indeed, the current electoral map even shows Texas as a close state, although it is still expected to break for Coolidge. Rubio himself won the Presidency 16 years ago by taking Florida, and much of the southwest. Hispanic turnout was at an all-time high for Republicans and he fears Delgado may be better positioned to win than the pundits give him credit for.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:10 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:41:01 AM by Reaganfan »

As Marco Rubio sits and listens to his predecessors and successors speak fondly of him, he recalls Election Night 2020. After eight years of a Republican President, the Democratic Party had the edge. Indeed, President Santorum was popular but not overwhelmingly so, and the Democratic Campaign had been a thrilling roller coaster for America. Rubio won his home state of Florida, as well as Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada and thus won the Presidency. Amazingly, he won without carrying the state of Ohio, the first for a Republican President. He also lost Virginia, although it had been trending towards him in the final days of the campaign.

Marco Rubio defeated New York Governor Andrew Cuomo 271 electoral votes to Cuomo's 267. In the end, Rubio won the popular vote by just over 700,000 nationally. In general, Republicans felt as though Rubio's victory was much smaller than anticipated, and contribute that to eight years of the Perry Presidency and the general popularity of both Rubio and Cuomo. Of course now Former President Rubio is stumping hard for the Coolidge/Burton ticket, especially in Florida where polls are neck and neck.

Barack Obama smiles as the Florida sun glares over the 44th President. At 75, Barack Obama is fit, in shape, and enjoying retirement. Of course, retirement came early for the nation's first African American President. Barack Obama once said he would rather be a good one term President than a mediocre two-term President. In the end, his policies and killing Osama bin laden are seen as President Obama's greatest accomplishments. Although he never got in the race, the idea floated around of a rematch in 2016 against President Santorum. Barack Obama knew that this would require another grueling primary campaign against Hillary Clinton, and at the time, President Santorum's approval ratings were near 60% and Obama felt as though he might end up losing to Santorum again if he ran.

Indeed, in 2018 the then-57 year old Obama flirted with the idea of running in the 2020 election, but he knew Marco Rubio would be a very strong contender. The 2012 election was depressing for Barack Obama and his supporters. 18 months prior, Barack Obama told the world that he authorized a mission that killed the mastermind of the deadly 9/11 attacks. Despite this, his approval ratings barely ticked up before falling again. The fall didn't stop until 2012 and by then, it was too late. Bad news on the economic front inside America and worldwide only created a sense of malaise that resonated within the White House itself. For many liberal supporters, Obama had not been liberal enough or aggressive enough during his Presidency, and indeed, the magic of his 2008 campaign disappeared in 2012, and youth turnout and black voters were not out in the same numbers they had been four years before.

Obama tried different tactics against Rick Santorum during the campaign. He tried to identify Santorum as George W. Bush, but by 2012, the nation cared more about the economy at the present than who had been President four years before. Santorum touted his record and conservative credentials, and evangelical support swelled, especially in the South and Midwest, contributing to Obama's loss in the electoral vote. But in general, Barack Obama likes to look at the glass half full and admits that while 2012 hurt him badly, he sees his Presidency being judged on the positives. Indeed, more Americans in 2012 voted for Barack Obama than Rick Santorum even though Santorum won the White House.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:43:15 AM by Reaganfan »

Rick Santorum never expected to be President of the United States. In January 2011, he figured his run would go overlooked and get him nowhere. Two years later, he was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States. Serving as Senator from Pennsylvania, Santorum soared in primary polls and captured the Republican nomination in 2012, and became the alternative to the weakened Barack Obama. Capturing some undecideds, rallying the Republican base, and receiving more evangelical voters across the country than any Presidential candidate in history, Santorum won the election and unseated a President for the first time since 1992.

Santorum knew that Presidents who had defeated battered incumbents included Franklin Roosevelt, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan. Each of those men had a generally strong lasting legacy in American History, and Rick Santorum was determined to try and capture that. Indeed, he was loathed by the left-wing establishment in America. His strong Christian Conservatism seemed like a played-up version of George W. Bush, and this caused a great deal of anxiety in the Democratic Party. They quickly flocked to 2016 frontrunners to try and unseat the President. During the 2015 Iranian Conflict, President Santorum's popularity shot-up by 15 points. Suddenly, Democrats found it difficult to attack Santorum with his strength showing up on the foreign policy front. So they switched to economic issues, but by 2016, the economy, while still weakened, was much stronger than it had been prior to Santorum's election to the Presidency.

Democrats had a slew of possible candidates. Some wondered if Former Vice President Joe Biden would make a run for the job. He declined. Some were curious as to whether or not the vanquished 44th President Barack Obama would try for a rematch against Rick Santorum. He did not. However, with her adamantly determined passion to be President, Hillary Clinton won the nomination and at 73 years old went toe to toe with President Santorum. Santorum won re-election, although the gender gap was the greatest seen in American politics. The running joke in the election was that if you were a woman, you were voting for Hillary Clinton. If you were a man, you were voting for President Santorum. Indeed, the 2016 Presidential campaign became a race between two different visions of the future. Either you were voting for "Hillary" or "the President". The election loss for Hillary Clinton ended her nearly 25 years in the national spotlight, and solidified Rick Santorum as a two-term President, the first since George Walker Bush.
HST1948

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

How bad was 2016 for Hillary?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:41 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:43:37 AM by Reaganfan »

It wasn't as close as President Santorum's first election. By the way, using projections for future electoral votes, that is how I come up with the numbers for the elections in the 2020s and 2030s.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »

Can we see some general election or primary maps?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:37 AM »

September 26, 2036.

Good evening, live from Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, I'm David Gregory of NBC News and I welcome you to the first Presidential Debate sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates between the Democratic Nominee, Senator Manny Delgado of New Mexico and the Republican Nominee, Governor Nathan Coolidge of Pennsylvania. Direct exchanges between the candidates and moderator follow-ups are permitted after each candidate has two minutes to answer the lead question in an order determined by a coin toss.

The audience here has agreed to remain silent except for now, as we introduce Senator Delgado and Governor Coolidge.

(AUDIENCE APPLAUSE)

(D-NM) Senator Manny Delgado (left) and (R-PA) Governor Nathan Coolidge

The first question was determined by the flip of a coin and goes to Governor Coolidge. Governor, you have campaigned strongly against the policies of President Hamlin. However, over the last eight years, America has seen relatively low unemployment and general economic prosperity. Is criticizing the President a valid argument?

Well, first I want to thank you David and Florida State University for hosting the debate here tonight. I also want to thank Senator Delgado for participating in this discussion tonight. I have criticized the liberal policies put forth by President Hamlin and the effect they have had on this country. Whether it be the Federal Aid act that allocates tasks from state governments to the federal government, or the tax hike that middle class Americans have had to endure during his Presidency, especially the last two years, President Hamlin's policies have had an impact on America that I find to be disheartening. I strongly feel that Senator Delgado and Senator Tenish will continue policies similar to that of President Hamlin and that will increase burdens on middle class families working hard to find and hold jobs and take care of their households. It will be the job of my administration to put forward a new approach, and a new, strong conservative agenda in the White House and for America. An agenda that will help lead to the United States once again reclaiming economic ground in the world, and an agenda that will strengthen our military, restore our values and increase prosperity for all Americans.

Senator Delgado?

Well thank you David and FSU, thank you Governor Coolidge. I want to begin tonight by offering a promise to America. If I am elected President, I will lower the rhetoric, lower the sense of urgency, and lower the partisanship in Washington, D.C. Now, many will naturally assume this is just a politician giving a standard talking point, but on the contrary, I'm running on results. I've been a Senator for six years. In those six years I have voted on issues facing our country and I have always kept the cares and needs and concerns of my fellow citizens close to my heart while casting my judgment on what I felt was necessary and right for the American people. I was born in Hurley, New Mexico on a hot summer night in 1996. My mother worked as a cashier, my father a truck driver. I saw as I grew up my parents struggle to help make ends meet. I saw my parents work tirelessly to make sure my two sisters and I grew up with a good education. I can say now, at 40 years of age, I have lived the American dream. The fact that I was born in a small town in New Mexico with the hopes and dreams of every young child in America, and that I now stand as a Senator representing the people of that state is the greatest honor of my life. So let's forget about that rhetoric, and let's get down to the truth. I understand the needs the American people have, and should I become President of the United States, I will work tirelessly to assure that all children born in this great country also have a shot at that American dream.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »

Update coming soon
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »

Stalinist revisionism. I expected better of you. Angry
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »

This is great!  Give us MORE!  Btw, what happened to Clinton, Bush I, Carter?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »

The election was as tight as ever. By Halloween, Delgato and Coolidge were literally tied at 46-46 in national polls. States like New Mexico and Arizona were strong for Delgado, while Coolidge had strengths in areas like Pennsylvania and Ohio.

The swing states included Iowa, Montana, New Hampshire, and especially the state of Florida, considered crutial to victory for both campaigns. The Coolidge/Burton campaign hopes that with Florida being Senator Burton's homestate, that will help propel them to victory. However, the Delgado/Tenish campaign is hoping for strong Latino turnout, similar to what swept President Rubio into office.

Election Night goes mostly as planned. Coolidge quickly wins everything from Indiana to Virginia to Georgia to Ohio. His homestate of Pennsylvania and the swing state of Michigan also go into his column. He knows, however, that Delgado's strengths are in the Southwest. Delgado wins the states of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada as soon as the polls close.

By 3am, the electoral map shows only three states remaining too close to call. Montana, Iowa and Florida.

Coolidge has a modest electoral vote lead, but Florida will put one of them over the top.

As he watches from his Texas home, Former President George W. Bush calls out, "Hey Laura...come get a load of this..."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

This is great, but what happened to Clinton?  And Bush I and carter?
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »

2036 might be my first run at the white house. I'll be 51 and wise beyond my years.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 09:52:55 PM by Jerseyrules »

2036 might be my first run at the white house. I'll be 51 and wise beyond my years.

I'll be in the Class of 2020 or 2018, succeeding Elton Gallegly Wink.  I'll be 27.  That, or I'll make a run for the governorship in 2022/2018.  So I'll stay out of presidential politics till about the 2040s
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

I wonder how the last 25 years have changed the country.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »

For Nathan Coolidge, this moment is as somber as ever. His wife Emily, a stunningly beautiful brunette, sits at his side. He can recall just 20 years ago meeting her in college, and the journey they have taken together has been as he once described, "Magical". After being unable to conceive for five years, Emily gave birth to twins. A boy named Mitch and a girl named Hope.

Now only five years old, both the twins have become a source of entertainment during the campaign, especially for the press pool surrounding Governor Coolidge. As he sits in the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg, he watches the popular vote count. He leads by less than 500,000 votes. He can't believe how close the race is.

Neither can Senator Delgado, at a hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His wife Julia, whom he met just seven years ago, sits on a couch watching returns. His two daughters Grace and Paulina play nearby, both ages 4 and 6 respectively. At 40 years of age, Delgado wouldn't be the youngest President, as that honor was bestowed upon incumbent President Matt Hamlin. Nonetheless, Delgado was young enough and still enough of a force within the United States Senate that, if he were to lose, a re-match against Coolidge in 2040 would certainly be a strong possibility.

His advisers pull him aside. He asks them to be candid with him. They tell him their opinions. "If Coolidge takes Florida, we're toast. Period." Another disagrees, "If that's the case, we just go to court." Delgado is adamantly opposed to the idea. His one adviser agrees, "Look, Senator, way back in the year 2000 we had a similar situation in Florida. Remember what happened to Al Gore?" Delgado laughs. "I was four years old, Tom."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »

For Nathan Coolidge, this moment is as somber as ever. His wife Emily, a stunningly beautiful brunette, sits at his side. He can recall just 20 years ago meeting her in college, and the journey they have taken together has been as he once described, "Magical". After being unable to conceive for five years, Emily gave birth to twins. A boy named Mitch and a girl named Hope.

Now only five years old, both the twins have become a source of entertainment during the campaign, especially for the press pool surrounding Governor Coolidge. As he sits in the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg, he watches the popular vote count. He leads by less than 500,000 votes. He can't believe how close the race is.

Neither can Senator Delgado, at a hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His wife Julia, whom he met just seven years ago, sits on a couch watching returns. His two daughters Grace and Paulina play nearby, both ages 4 and 6 respectively. At 40 years of age, Delgado wouldn't be the youngest President, as that honor was bestowed upon incumbent President Matt Hamlin. Nonetheless, Delgado was young enough and still enough of a force within the United States Senate that, if he were to lose, a re-match against Coolidge in 2040 would certainly be a strong possibility.

His advisers pull him aside. He asks them to be candid with him. They tell him their opinions. "If Coolidge takes Florida, we're toast. Period." Another disagrees, "If that's the case, we just go to court." Delgado is adamantly opposed to the idea. His one adviser agrees, "Look, Senator, way back in the year 2000 we had a similar situation in Florida. Remember what happened to Al Gore?" Delgado laughs. "I was four years old, Tom."

Sounds great.  Not to be a broken record, but, as they're likely dead, what happened to Carter, Bush I, and Slick Willy?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »

Sounds great.  Not to be a broken record, but, as they're likely dead, what happened to Carter, Bush I, and Slick Willy?

What do you expect? LOL
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »

Lol at Naso editing Perry out and replacing him with Santorum.

I guess he'll replace Rick with President Romney soon.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »

Zip it, Hank.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »

What do you expect? LOL

Obviously, they died.  I would just like to hear some nice words about them, etc. like you've done for Carter Jr. and the Texan and the crazy man and a certain Senator from Florida Wink
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 05:33:09 AM »

That is what I was talking about.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies