2036: Reflections from our Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2036: Reflections from our Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2036: Reflections from our Presidents  (Read 10789 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:42 AM »
« edited: August 10, 2011, 06:39:06 AM by Reaganfan »

An airplane flies in clear, dark night skies. Looking out of a window, a man, elderly, face worn, hair white as snow, looks out over the dark skies above the clouds. He thinks back to a time 35 years earlier, flying over a city devastated by colossal terror. The man was then only 55 years old. This night however, the man has just turned 90. His name is George Walker Bush.

He presses a button on a speaker. "Can I have some coffee, please?" The person on the receiving end swiftly replies, "Yes, Mr. President."

George W. Bush had the distinction of being President of the United States for eight years, from 2001 until 2009. He was elected at the start of the 21st Century, and now the century is closing in fast on it's midway point. The 2000s or, "turn of the century" as it is more commonly referred to, coincided with the biggest changes in American history in more than a half century prior to that. On the morning of September 11, 2001, America was attacked. The perpetrators were 19 terrorists associated with a radical group hellbent on destruction. Despite a Civil War, two world wars, an attack by the Japanese in 1941, and a long dark cloud of tension known as the Cold War, nothing had an impact as immediate and overwhelming on the American public as did what those 19 men did one Tuesday morning in September, 35 years ago.

After the attack, it seemed as though the dark cloud of terror would reign over America for generations to come. Nothing would ever be the same, and it wasn't. Security changed, America became united in ways not seen since after World War II ended, then became sharply divided almost as fast as it was united. Politics became a never ending game more than ever before, with Americans voting in massive numbers more and more almost every election since, but also having a near-constant disdain for the politicians they elected. In the year 2001, America was prosperous, peace was found in most places in the world, Governmental disputes were meager at best and the booming economy and the new wave of technology carried along by the internet seemed to have the world headed in one direction. The other direction was one of surprise and sudden attack, wars, recession, and a baffled American public trying to figure out what had transpired. As George Bush sat back that quiet September night headed to Florida for the dedication of a Presidential Library, the elder statesmen looked deep in thought. Had America been at a crossroads in 2001? Or for that matter, the year 2000? Did he help push it in the right direction? Had his opponent in the year 2000 won, would the Gore era of the 2000s ushered in something better than the deal America had during the Bush era? Did George Bush move America backwards instead of forward? Or had George Bush made decisions that saved countless lives while having the grim reality of sacrificing others?

This was all heavy on George Bush's mind. After all, he was the last living U.S. President to remember what life in America was like in the 1950s, considered idyllic by some and oppressive by others. He became an adult throughout the 1960s, which saw cultural change that was unprecedented. He saw the Presidencies of Ronald Reagan and his father, George Herbert Walker Bush. Both men now etched in American history like carvings in stone, historians judging how they led through their terms as President and how they changed America. Bush 43, as he was known, understands the grasp of history and how his Presidency surpasses his father's in historical significance. Truth be told, by 2036, most Americans who have any memory of Ronald Reagan's Presidency or even Bush 41's for that matter are at the youngest, nearing middle age. George W. Bush was once said to be one of the fittest men ever to occupy the White House, and indeed at 90, George W. Bush still exercises daily and keeps an active routine. His wife Laura still remains the love of his life. His twin daughters, both now in their 50s, successful in their careers and for the most part out of the public eye. An amazing life, thinks George W. Bush. But what impact did he have on the rest of America, or even the world for that matter? With this on his mind, George W. Bush prepares to stand side by side with his four successors the next morning, no doubt, the conversations will be interesting...

TO BE CONTINUED
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:32:43 AM by Reaganfan »

George Bush and his wife Laura stand inside a room, freshly painted, the glass ceiling allowing the bright Florida sun to shine through. A young man in a suit walks inside the room, and moves to the side, setting the security scene. Behind him walks in a man with white hair, towering over the 43rd President. The man smirks at President Bush, and jolts out a handshake. "George, how wonderful to see you today!"

Never faltering his mellow voice, Rick Santorum's smile and charm helped him in every campaign he ever had. Twice elected by the American people, he ushered in an era of economic recovery, something typically seen under Democratic Administrations. President Santorum is not without the critics, however. Many claim that his predecessor brought on changes that led to the recovery that began in 2014 and brought unemployment down and helped rebuild a nation scarred by economic turmoil. At 76 and widowed, President Santorum is still a force to be reckoned with 15 years after leaving office. He is loathed by liberals throughout America who from the beginning of his National political career ridiculed him. Of course, some 27 years after leaving office, George W. Bush and Santorum have that in common. After all, Santorum and Bush have a close relationship going back to the 2000s.

"Well George, looks like it's one beautiful day for a dedication, isn't it?" Bush smiles. "Yeah, Mr. President, I was telling Laura that when my library was dedicated we had to deal with nice weather but some protesters that weren't so nice." Santorum grins, "Ahh I saw them with their stupid signs when the motorcade pulled up...they're here, too."

President Santorum wasn't joking. During his dedication, George W. Bush had protesters outside the event which also made the evening news. Bush had gotten used to protesters during his Presidency, as had his predecessors. As President Santorum once said during his administration, "It comes with the job."

Bush and Santorum walk outside onto a patio with the searing Florida sun basking them. Both men elders but in good physical shape, both men with strong ties to Florida. For George Bush, the state was critical to his election as President in 2000. Santorum's Florida victory in 2012 also allowed him the Presidency. Bush's mind goes back to another sunny September morning in Florida in 2001 when he learned about the devastating attack on the United States. The then Texas-talkin' tax cutter suddenly found himself thrust into history beyond being "just number 43". Perry also thinks about Florida often, for it to, was a critical part of his electoral success. Suddenly a deep booming voice familiar with nearly every person in the world speaks out, "Hey fellas, how are you!?"

Barack Obama, 75, skinny with gray hair, lights up his thousand watt grin as he shakes hands with Bush and Santorum. Despite bitter campaigning against the policies of both Bush and Santorum, Obama has since become friendly with the two former Presidents over the last 25 years. Barack Obama made history that cannot be taken away by any pundits or critics, as he served as the first African American President in United States history. His wife, former First Lady Michelle Obama, greeted by Laura Bush, still strong at Barack Obama's side, considered to be a very influential first lady for the nation during Barack Obama's tenure. Obama has a reason to smile. During his Presidency, he set forth liberal policies that despite Republican predecessors still have impact in 2036, and he helped deliver a crippling blow to terrorism by finishing what George Bush started and killing Osama bin laden, a speech seared into the History Channel video archive sure to be seen for years and years to come. Indeed, Bush's bullhorn speech from New York atop the rubble of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center from 2001 is no doubt to be used in history documentaries in the year 2100 when looking back at the 21st century. Presidents Bush, Obama and Santorum all exchange small talk and kind words, awaiting two more successors.

Of course, one reason why these men continued to talk so kindly to each other were because their campaign days were over. The last time either one was running for President was 20 years ago, and now they sit on the sidelines while the open Presidential Election of 2036 rolls into the final month and a half.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »

Hm, so it seems like Perry defeated Obama in 2012? Unfortunate but continue!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »

Epic! Cheesy Im hoping the Presidential Library is for Jeb or Rubio. This really is awesome.
bloombergforpresident
obama12

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »

Looks AWESOME!
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

I'm a Rick Perry Fanboy: The Timeline! Tongue

Though in all serious I enjoy your writing style, so keep going.
HST1948

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »

Cant say I like the idea that in 2036 we America will be reflecting back and seeing a President Perry, but I really do like how this is written.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:34:34 AM by Reaganfan »

By 2036, the country was riding a wave of happiness. The oldest of Generation X (born 1961 to 1981) were reaching their mid-70s in age, and Generation Y (born 1981 to 1995) was reaching their 40s and 50s. The New Silent Generation, born after the September 11th attacks, into a world of technology and computers from birth, are now making up most of the electorate, many in their 30s, marrying, starting families and helping bring economic successes to the United States. They seem to have the strongest ties with the Silent Generation (born 1925 to 1945), as they were born into a time of war, change, and had to adjust and grow up very quickly.

The Middle East is about as stable as it can be, despite the ongoing Palestinian/Israeli conflict. Ties between the United States and Israel have never been stronger, and although violence has flared up in the Palestinian territory over the last ten years, no significant attacks have occurred. Indeed, the 9/11-style attacks carried out in the 2000s against the United States and countries in Europe were last seen nearly 20 years ago, and it seems radical Islamic groups are no longer capable of those types of attacks due to overwhelming security put forth under Bush, continued under Obama, and solidified under Santorum.

Big issues in this new campaign include reforming the tax system in America, energy conservation, and competition with China. China is, by 2036, capable of being considered the strongest nation in the World, but no leader of the West would ever openly admit that. Fears are abound of a new technological and economic Cold War with China. The bird flu never came, nor did the "big one" for Los Angeles or the great East Coast tsunami. The polar ice caps didn't melt, and oil drilling is still a wealthy business to be in by 2036. Music changed significantly, by 2030, instrumental tracks were played over the radio. Long guitar solos, indie rock bands, and techno still are heard, although both rap and country music have been on a decline since the 20s. Americans took pride in a 4.5% unemployment rate during the 100th anniversary of the Stock Market Crash of 1929, and the general issues of the 2036 campaign resonate as familiar with George Bush as he thinks back to the year 2000. After all, the 2000 election was not about whether to cut taxes or not, but whether one tax cut would only help the wealthy or not.

The New Silent Generation is more conservative than Generation X, but far more liberal than Generation Y. Indeed, by 2016, President Santorum's vote share was nearly triple the amount of young men than young women. Women tend to be pro-choice, liberal, and more progressive towards social issues, while the men of the new Silent Generation seem to be more reserved, traditional, and conservative. In all, maybe not that much has changed in all these years.

Inside the patio area, President Obama turns around to see a smiling man, 65 years old, walking towards him. "Here's the man we're here to see!" Obama proclaims. Marco Rubio and Barack Obama had common elements that propelled both of them to the Presidency. They embodied charisma, attractive characteristics, youthful exuberance, and both broke barriers. Marco Antonio Rubio served as the 46th President of the United States. An orator unmatched during his tenure in the U.S. Senate, President Rubio's campaign brought the Republican Party the largest increase in Latino voters in it's history, and also the largest Republican Victory since 1988.

Alongside his wife former First Lady Jeanette Rubio, the 46th President looks tanned, confident, and upbeat. At 65 but looking younger, Rubio hardly looks like a man retired and out of the spotlight. Indeed, the energy Marco Rubio brought to his eight year Presidency and the glamour Jeanette Rubio brought to the helm of First Lady, were not seen since the days of John F. Kennedy and his wife Jackie. The images of father Rubio, husband Rubio, and most importantly, President Rubio, brought home an image of America's first Hispanic President being one of comfort, confidence, and strength.

Santorum and Rubio shake hands, they look at each other with pride knowing that what they accomplished brought home years of conservative ideas, and conservative action. Perhaps an offset to the policies of Barack Obama's Presidency, or perhaps just a new, conservative path brought upon by the Santorum and Rubio era in America. Rubio has reason to be warm towards the elder Santorum. After all, had Santorum's popularity been low at the time of the election, it is quite likely that Marco Rubio wouldn't have been able to cross the finish line. In an odd twist of fate of history, perhaps, the man whom the world saw as the new President to usher in change and unity, ended up losing to the man who seemed to carry that banner better than his predecessor. Indeed, it was Marco Rubio's leadership that was compared in ways to how Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill would disagree but still get things done for the nation. Of course, as George Bush shakes hands with Rubio and Barack Obama pats the 65 year old former President on the back, they are all thinking the same thing....one more successor to go...and this time it's a doozy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »

44. Barrack Obama 2009-2013
45. Rick Perry 2013-2021
46. Marco Rubio 2021-2029?

The way you praise Rubio makes me doubt that he would be the one-termer that I'd expect Perry's  Republican successor to be. Wonder who the doozy will be.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »

@Catchcon:

Reaganfan mentions the doozy as "one last successor", so I have a feeling this will be the last guy before our President-Elect. That also means Rubio has to be a two-termer. I have a feeling we'll get a moderate 2 term democrat followed by a conservative Republican President-elect, just by the way things are going.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »

@Catchcon:

Reaganfan mentions the doozy as "one last successor", so I have a feeling this will be the last guy before our President-Elect. That also means Rubio has to be a two-termer. I have a feeling we'll get a moderate 2 term democrat followed by a conservative Republican President-elect, just by the way things are going.

I am guessing this last "guy" will actually be a woman.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »

I typed more, but I had so much more to add that I will post tonight after work. I should note, I'm considering following Election 2036 as well. Comments welcome!
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

@Catchcon:

Gabby Giffords, calling it.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »

@Catchcon:

Gillibrand!!!!!!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:36:43 AM by Reaganfan »

As the motorcade pulls up, the sun reflects off it. Presidents Obama and Santorum make their way down the steps, followed closely behind by Presidents Rubio and Bush. Secret Service agents come up alongside the limousine, and out steps the 47th President of the United States.

Matthew Hamlin was a man of irresistible charm, charisma and style. Exiting his Presidential limousine, the man who had spent eight years defining and changing politics in America seemed unaged, still as youthful and exuberant at 45 years old as he was eight years before. His slicked back blond hair and trademark sunglasses were a part of President Hamlin's adept, polished, albeit often flamboyant look that he carried throughout his Presidency.

Born in Blacksburg, Virginia in 1991, Matthew Ryan Hamlin embodied everything the Democratic Party was looking for in order to reclaim the White House after 16 years of Republican rule. Indeed, the closet Republicans had come to having 16 years in the White House in more recent history had been the period of the 1980s and 1990s with Ronald Reagan and George Bush. Of course, Bush lost the election way back in 1992, ending the hopes of 16 years of GOP rule.

Matt Hamlin's swift election in 2028 brought an end to a Republican Party which had seen progress that was for the most part unchallenged since the beginning of the 2010s. Of course, the Democratic Party was growing in strength by the mid-20s, and after eight years of Marco Rubio, whose charisma and style of his own began to wear on the American public, Hamlin represented a new, younger generation of Americans born in the late 2000s and 2010s who were just for the first time able to vote.

Hamlin had been elected Governor of Virginia at the age of 31, and pundits quickly labeled him a "rising star" of the Democratic Party. Indeed, when he finished his four year term as Governor in 2026, he was at the ripe age of 35, just barely old enough to seek the office of President. He spent the following two years campaigning hard for Democrats and visiting key election states, eventually becoming the frontrunner for the Democratic Nomination. In general, Hamlin went from rockstar to frontrunner to nominee to President. The Rubio Administration was beginning to tire the American electorate. Many voters in their 40s had been in their early 20s the last time a Democrat was President, and some of their children began to vote for the first time in 2028, which only helped thrust Matt Hamlin even further to victory. Pundits saw the victory of Hamlin, and his running mate, Senator Brad Lawton of New Jersey (the first Jewish American Vice President), as a new era in American Politics. Indeed, it was a new era. The Hamlin/Lawton administration did best it could to repeal many policies that had been enacted under the Santorum and Rubio administrations.

Re-elected easily four years ago, the open 2036 election was hot on every one of the President's minds. After all, each man had their own opinions on the candidates and campaign, which currently show a dead heat between the two nominees.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2012, 11:37:52 AM by Reaganfan »

Obama shakes hands with Hamlin, smiling and being courteous. President Obama's political career had ended on a low note, following his re-election defeat. Indeed, he had been the first President to lose re-election since George Bush's father in 1992, and it was said that the 41st President actually called President Obama following his defeat and had a long phone conversation with him, clearly discussing the pain that comes with defeat. Barack Obama has an improved relationship with both Bush and Santorum, but clearly holds some ill will. After all, deep down Obama believes he inherited the recession from George Bush that cost him re-election some 20+ years ago. You'll never hear that coming from the mouth of President Santorum, however. During his campaign he was unrelenting on criticizing Obama's spending policies as deepening the double dip recession of 2012, and touting his record as Senator from Pennsylvania, successfully pushed a narrow majority of Americans into his category. Perhaps sobering of all for Barack Obama was the fact that despite his best tries, he could never reclaim the majesty of his epic 2008 campaign, which brought him a widespread and historic victory.

Barack Obama and George Bush's father had many parallels. Both were seen as very legislative Presidents, both had a major foreign policy achievement during their third year in office, and both loss to a Southern Governor due to an economic recession. Although he would never state so in public, Former President Obama believes his policies that he enacted during his term helped the recovery, which President Santorum trumpeted as his own accomplishment. Indeed, the relative prosperity by 2016 allowed President Santorum a somewhat easy and uneventful re-election.

President Hamlin was different, however. He was much more of a "Teflon" President than Obama had been. Unlike his Democratic predecessor, he would call out those who criticized him, often in vicious, Agnew-like form. However, the majority of Americans tended to side with the President, thus allowing his appeal and charm to win over not only those on Capitol Hill in Washington, but those critical independent voters in swing states. Even today, the battle for the White House remains trying to court undecided voters. Many who voted for President Hamlin in 2028 and 2032 voted for President Rubio as well, so they are open to the idea of voting for a candidate from either party.

MORE LATER
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

I'm enjoying the timeline but it is hard to read --12 years of Republicans, 8 of Democrats, 8 of Republicans, 4 of Democrats and then 16 years of Republicans. Jeez. Us Democrats gotta make sure this doesn't happen in real life.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »

Who is this guy?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »

Enter the 2036 Democratic Nominee for President: Senator Manny Delgado of New Mexico. At only 40 years of age, Senator Delgado is trying to win over younger voters as well as Hispanics and trying to recapture the youthful pageantry that helped propel Matt Hamlin to the White House eight years ago. Alongside his wife Julia and their two small children, Senator Delgado is also hoping to win over Hispanics the same way President Rubio did 16 years ago, by trying to relate. This comes at a cost, however.

Republicans mock Delgado by showing the facts about the homes he owns. He owns a mansion outside Santa Fe, a home in Alexandria, Virginia and a summer home in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Republicans ask Hispanics how can Senator Delgado truly relate to a middle class Hispanic household when he himself owns three homes, one of which is a summer home, the other a mansion. Delgado tries to push it aside, focusing on key states and voting groups. With less than two months until Election Day, Senator Delgado is hoping that he can bridge the gap and win over voters in the swing states of Arizona, Colorado and Florida. Delgado chose New Hampshire Senator Cindy Tenish as his running mate. The 50 year old mother of three is known as a fierce liberal, and as Delgado moves to the center, she is trying to keep the liberal Democratic base fired up. Manny Delgado also hopes to attract a large amount of the female vote, also crucial to President Hamlin's victories.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »

Now enter the 2036 Republican Nominee for President: Governor Nathan Coolidge of Pennsylvania. Only four years older than Delgado, the 44 year old Coolidge is hoping to carry his message of smaller Government, lower taxes and conservative social values to victory in November.

Twice elected Governor of Pennsylvania, he enjoys high popularity in the state, and Delgado's campaign has begun allocating resources to other states and away from Pennsylvania, considered a "safe" Republican state. Indeed, in the last 25 years, the Southwest has trended very heavily Democratic, while the Rust Belt has trended to the right. Coolidge hopes that by taking Pennsylvania, Ohio Texas (where Delgado is spending a good amount of resources courting the Hispanic vote) as well as Florida, that he can put together the electoral votes needed for victory.

Governor Coolidge selected Senator Tom Burton of Florida as his running mate, surely with taking the state of Florida in November in his mind. Burton, a 55 year old solid conservative and very popular in the state, hopes to bring Florida into the Coolidge column. The Coolidge/Burton ticket has led in polls most of the Summer, although the Delgado/Tenish ticket has gained lost ground in the past several weeks. President Hamlin's approval rating stands at 45% in the latest polls, and the general election polls vary. One poll shows a 46-46 race, the other a 48-46 lead for Coolidge, the other a 45-45 race.

Coolidge hopes that by taking Pennsylvania and Ohio (which has trended right the last decade) and then grabbing Florida and Texas and a smattering of the swing states, he can get to the White House.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »

Hackery to the max.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »

The President is a successful two term Democrat and the race is even. How is this hackery?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »

I'm enjoying the timeline but it is hard to read --12 years of Republicans, 8 of Democrats, 8 of Republicans, 4 of Democrats and then 16 years of Republicans. Jeez. Us Democrats gotta make sure this doesn't happen in real life.

Is this your first time reading a Michael A Naso timeline?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

Is this your first time reading a Michael A Naso timeline?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

Well I had an idea. Allowing the readers on the forum to "elect" the next President....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies