MA: Vote Sanctity Act (Vetoed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Vote Sanctity Act (Vetoed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Vote Sanctity Act (Vetoed)  (Read 5029 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: August 04, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »
« edited: August 04, 2011, 04:34:18 AM by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »

It was suggested to me that I intrdouce this bill and I did so because I think this is an issue which must be addressed by our Assembly. The "Invaligate" affair has shown us how problematic it can be if people make use of the possibility to edit their vote after they have already cast it. In fact, "Invaligate" has demonstrated that the vote editing practice can lead to wrong allegations and ensuing bickering and this can be prevented with the current bill.
Let me be clear about that - the "Invaligate" affair was blown out of proportion and the conduct of some of the President's political adversaries was not helpful. Our former President was accused of campaigning for the invalidation of votes but it eventually turned out that the allegations of crime which some people made against him were incorrect and, in my view, based on irrational antipathy towards him. As a result, it was logical that he was not found guilty and I welcome that.
But as I said, in order to prevent such events to ever happen again I support the idea to get rid of the option to edit a vote altogether. Every voter's got two eyes, a brain and, additionally, a preview function on the forum which they can use in order to check what their vote's going to look like. In my opinion, this must suffice. Double check your vote before casting it, and you won't encounter any problems. As in real life, once you put your ballot in the ballot-box, there's no second chance or editing.

Edit: You see, I frequently edit my posts but that's because of linguistic reasons. I don't want to do the same when it comes to my votes. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »

Governor and Senator from the Northeast,

thank you (Governor) for your input on the bill in question, but it is now up to the Mideast to debate the Vote Sanctity Act.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »

Governor and Senator from the Northeast,

thank you (Governor) for your input on the bill in question, but it is now up to the Mideast to debate the Vote Sanctity Act.

Actually any citizen in Atlasia is free to debate the matter. Badger practically held a seat here when I was Speaker.

Alright, a misinterpretation on my part then. Sorry Governor Winfield.

But please, everyone, discuss the bill and nothing else. If someone wants to feud with other people he/she should do so somewhere else. The reason why I mentioned "Invaligate" was to highlight why we need a bill that puts an end to the practice of editing votes. As this case showed, editing votes can lead to massive arguments, which hurts Atlasia in the long term.
The bill offers an easy solution to the problem.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:58 AM »

Aye
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »

Doesn't this need to be a Constitutional Amendment?

You've got a point here. Actually, that's what Speaker Inks stated right after the bill was introduced to the Assembly. I'm not sure on how we'll have to proceed, though. Will the Act have to be ruled invalid or can we get it passed (if there's a majority) and then propose it as a Constitutional Amendment to the People of the Mideast?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies