Breaking News: Preferential Voting is Unconstitutional
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:35:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Breaking News: Preferential Voting is Unconstitutional
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Breaking News: Preferential Voting is Unconstitutional  (Read 4317 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:17:54 PM »

I was just looking at how we enacted Preferential Voting and um, it was submitted and passed as BILL and never AMENDED the constitution so the original election system in the Atlas Constitution overrides the Preferential Voting Bill.

This means the Supreme Court has the power to overturn the results of every federal election held after May 7th, 2004.

Good job, Senators! Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:19:14 PM »

d'oh!
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 11:19:24 PM »

Yes, but that would be stupid and make half of the voters here just stop coming (well, I would).
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 11:19:54 PM »

AND WE MOVE INTO ANARCHY. for now on just approval voting system Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 11:20:08 PM »

You still can't just count the first preference. There'd have to be a whole new vote.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:20:24 PM »

That new Constitutional Convention is looking pretty good right now.

Personally, we need to stop getting bogged down in technicalities. The bill passed. We are in fantasy elections, not the AG's office.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 11:22:26 PM »

Personally, we need to stop getting bogged down in technicalities. The bill passed. We are in fantasy elections, not the AG's office.
exactly...we need a lot looser interpretation of the constitution.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 11:22:54 PM »

Just ignore the Constitution like real politicians do.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 11:23:48 PM »

exactly...we need a lot looser interpretation of the constitution.
I'm sure if we look hard enough we could find many more loopholes.
We are not perfect, and instead of trying to perfect ourselves lets just move on.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 11:24:34 PM »

But this could mean a lot, plus StevenNick and Harry could request a revote since they lost because of the preferential voting system.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 11:27:16 PM »

But this could mean a lot, plus StevenNick and Harry could request a revote since they lost because of the preferential voting system.

I certainly would advise Harry against doing that and would hope StevenNick would also not request a revote.

I was elected to the Senate due to Pref. Voting, I like it the way it is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »

Absolutely.  When's the Supreme Court gonna recover?  I'm think about starting a revolution, myself.. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 11:29:06 PM »

Absolutely.  When's the Supreme Court gonna recover?  I'm think about starting a revolution, myself.. Smiley

We already *had* one, it was unsuccessful...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 11:33:15 PM »

Funny. That same election is why I am so opposed to preferential voting. I wonder why....

As for this issue, I'm not sure how we should pursue it. Having SteveNick and Harry challenge the results, in my opinion, would be a bad idea. Right now I would say that we let the results of past elections stand and dedicate our time to Constitutional Convention. We obviously have some real problems that need fixing before the next election.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 11:35:21 PM »

Exactly how did StevenNick lose because of preferential voting?  Gabu won the final round tie because he had more first preference votes.  If we had straight first-past-the-post, vote for one candidate only elections, Gabu would have still won.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 11:35:47 PM »

Funny. That same election is why I am so opposed to preferential voting. I wonder why....

Keystone, 63% of the voters strongly opposed you getting in the Senate. That's why you lost. You had more 4th Preference Votes (Or no vote) than everything else combined.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »

Keystone, 63% of the voters strongly opposed you getting in the Senate. That's why you lost. You had more 4th Preference Votes (Or no vote) than everything else combined.

Akno, did I not receive more votes to begin with? Direct popular vote for Senators, in my opinion, is the best way to go.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »

Akno, did I not receive more votes to begin with? Direct popular vote for Senators, in my opinion, is the best way to go.

Yes, you did, although if there hadn't been Preferntial Voting, I would have dropped out, and Nick would have gotten my first preferences, and thus gotten more than you.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 11:40:08 PM »

The issue King has raised was in fact brought up, debated, and settled at the time the bill was passed.  It was decided that the bill did not contradict the constitution in any way, and therefore did not need to be an amendment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 11:42:41 PM »

Yes, you did, although if there hadn't been Preferntial Voting, I would have dropped out, and Nick would have gotten my first preferences, and thus gotten more than you.

Ok well I don't play the "Well I would have done this..." game.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 11:44:37 PM »

Gabu won the final round tie because he had more first preference votes.

That's what I don't like, if I could quote some parts of a message from WMS on this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 11:46:41 PM »

The issue King has raised was in fact brought up, debated, and settled at the time the bill was passed.  It was decided that the bill did not contradict the constitution in any way, and therefore did not need to be an amendment.

It was not discussed in the original thread where the Preferential Voting Bill was debated and voted on. The only discussion was when NickG asked if it was an amendment or a bill and StevenNick said a bill. No Senator officially questioned whether it was vaild or not...
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 11:47:43 PM »

It's not a game, it's realism. You seem to think you would have won using "American" voting, and while based on votes only, that is true, I was pointing out that when other factors are taken into consideration, you would not have won.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 11:53:04 PM »

It's not a game, it's realism. You seem to think you would have won using "American" voting, and while based on votes only, that is true, I was pointing out that when other factors are taken into consideration, you would not have won.

Well that is the way I would prefer we vote, Akno - by votes only. I think this whole "Well if your first and second choice doesn't work out, you can always have the person you wanted third beat the current vote leader" idea is ridiculous. One voter, one vote.

My opinion won't change, your opinion probably won't change. We've debated this time and time again, Akno, and we're really just wasting our time. Let's just try to find a way to solve these electoral problems without saying "Back in July, I would have done this..." I honestly don't care. All I said was because of that election, I came out opposed to the system and because of that same election, you now have a favorable feeling towards the system. That's it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 11:55:37 PM »

Well that is the way I would prefer we vote, Akno - by votes only. I think this whole "Well if your first and second choice doesn't work out, you can always have the person you wanted third beat the current vote leader" idea is ridiculous. One voter, one vote.

My opinion won't change, your opinion probably won't change. We've debated this time and time again, Akno, and we're really just wasting our time. Let's just try to find a way to solve these electoral problems without saying "Back in July, I would have done this..." I honestly don't care. All I said was because of that election, I came out opposed to the system and because of that same election, you now have a favorable feeling towards the system. That's it.

Obviously you would prefer to consider it by votes only and not realism, you win that way.

Anyway, I agree, there's no use debating an election that happened almost half a year ago. Let's get back on topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies