I don't think the Weis hire is as bad as some people are making it out to be...
Completely agree. Who'd they expect us to get, Lombardi?
- Weis brings enthusiasm to the KU base - others can hate all they want, but a good majority of KU fans are ecstatic about this hire, myself included.
- Weis looks to also be bringing him a 5-star quarterback in Crist, who is visiting Kansas this weekend. He has one year of eligibility left. I'd say there's about a 90% chance he comes to Kansas. This immediately takes us from winning 3-4 games next year to having a great shot at becoming bowl eligible - we'll have one of the top quarterbacks in the league.
- Weis can recruit - offensive players want to play for his spread offense. Just a flash of those Super Bowl rings would be enough to sign a lot of players. We'll need to pick up a great defensive coordinator, though.
- Weis isn't really looking for a promotion - he's already said Kansas will be his last stop. Even if he's only here for 7 years or so, he'll be leaving Kansas in much better shape than it is today, which means we'll be able to attract a better coach.
- He hopefully will put names on the back of the jerseys. (A key issue to the Jayhawk faithful)
People criticize that Florida's offense wasn't great this year - Weis had to handle a bunch of players that didn't know his spread offense, rather, they were fit more towards Meyer's offense, which is completely different.
People criticize that his stint at Notre Dame wasn't good - then, he had to hire assistants that he didn't know. Now, after spending years in both the NFL and college, he has plenty of connections. Notre Dame also has ridiculously high expectations, and on top of that, their academic standards make it difficult to recruit.
So yeah, for the first time since 2008, I'm actually looking forward to the start of the next football season.