college football chat.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  college football chat.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: college football chat.  (Read 10037 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »

So lets see...Texas and its junior partner OU are talking to the Pac 1X...where they go, TTU and OSU will follow.

I'd guess at that point the SEC tries to grab 13 and 14....TAMU...and then perhaps...Mizzou/WVU/VT...WVU would be the easiest to get but the smallest addition...I still think Mizzou hopes it can get into the B1G...and the Ten would probably want ND first.  ND's influence is on the decline (yeah still popular with the scores of Twats who have never attended but have seen Rudy etc but as a college football team...decline)...the Big Ten would be a good place to latch onto...fits the profiles of the other institutions.

VT would have to pay 20M to leave the ACC and isn't from a state where another SEC school would try to veto (see FSU/UF, UL/UK, GT/UGA CU/USC)...They could make up that amount pretty fast from SEC sharing, but I doubt they'd want a harder path to a championship or to switch conferences that soon.  I doubt the SEC would want anyone else...(UNC/Duke sure...but that ain't happening).

The other big programs still floating around are Maryland, Kansas and KSU...Maryland faces a big payout to leave the ACC...but the B1G might be interested.  Kansas *could* sneak into the big ten...it has the right sort of AAU profile etc...but KSU, which really doesnt set anyone's heart ablaze might be a political millstone.

Rutgers and UConn really don't add much more to the ACC as 15 and 16 than what the ACC will have now.  But thye're still likely to be the next additions.  Despite what any Rutgers grad will tell you...Rutgers sucks.  In basketball certainly and has only limited recent success in football.  Rutgers fits the ACC and B1G profile...and probably is a bigger marginal addition in the Big Ten.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »

I could see this expansion upsetting a lot of people in the ACC. We still have not fully gotten over expanding from 9 to 12. Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

I could see this expansion upsetting a lot of people in the ACC. We still have not fully gotten over expanding from 9 to 12. Tongue

But why?  Pitt and Cuse aren't premier teams right now, and probably wont be for some time, but one usually makes a bowl game...and the other is returning to the success its traditionally had.  Better than a lot of ACC programs, especially the traditional ones.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »

Because the original 9 teams hate change. UNC/Duke/Wake/State alums vilify Swofford on a regular basis for ruining the conference's basketball prowess.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2011, 03:47:34 PM by bullmoose88 »

Because the original 9 teams hate change. UNC/Duke/Wake/State alums vilify Swofford on a regular basis for ruining the conference's basketball prowess.

Pittsburgh isnt a traditional power...but Syracuse is in that next sub tier of elites...(ok, not UK, Duke, UCLA, UNC or Indiana...don't forget Kansas...sorry)...but it helps the conference basketball-wise.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »

Oklahoma and Texas regents have given their university presidents the permission to apply for membership in a different athletic conference.  Oklahoma President David Boren said that he needs time to make his decision, and he wants to make sure the school is in a stable conference without having to revisit its conference membership every year.  He did say, cordially, that staying in the Big 12 is still on the table, and that he doesn't have a timeline of his decision.  If you read between the lines, it has Pac-12 written all over it.  He also said that Oklahoma will only move if Oklahoma State moves as well, and prefers that Texas and Texas Tech join the Sooners and Cowboys in movement.  He doesn't want to remove the Bedlam rivalry or the Red River Rivalry.  He prefers to leave those intact, even though Bob Stoops has publicly said that if the OU/Texas rivalry is a casualty of conference realignment, then so be it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

Adding Pitt or Syracuse would help, at least in Basketball.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »

Yes, but nobody cares about basketball.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

Despite all the talk about where Texas is going to end, I don't see either the Pac or the SEC as being willing to take Texas if it insists on keeping its toxic TV deal.  I think the most probable outcome if the Big 12 collapses is to have Texas ending up as a football independent with a Notre Dame style tie-in to the BCS.  The alternative to a Big 12 collapse is to have effectively a Big 12 merger with the Mountain West, tho with some schools such as Hawaii and Missouri either choosing or being pushed to go someplace other than the Big 16.  (I don't see enough football schools remaining in the Big East to make a merger with the Big 12 a possibility, and neither the WAC nor C-USA are a good fit with the Texas/Oklahoma schools.)

I don't think the Big East will collapse per se, just lose its football schools, but the schools that haven't been competing in the FBS as part of the Big East will be the only ones that remain, including Notre Dame.  They might go after some other basketball schools to join them.

The two most obvious targets for a Big Ten expansion are Missouri and Rutgers given the Big Ten's insistence on AAU membership. For the same reason UConn has no chance at joining the Big Ten, so it'll have to go to the ACC or decide to return to the FCS level for football. Speaking of the ACC, if they get UConn as their 15th, it's hard to see who they get for their 16th unless they head for a non Atlantic coast state. They want Rutgers, but I think they'll head to the Big Ten instead.  Given the importance of basketball to the ACC, I think they'd prefer Louisville over West Virgina or Cincinnati.  Besides, I think the SEC would prefer both West Virgina and Cincinnati over Louisville.  Assuming the SEC gets both of those, I think its most likely #16 if it can't pry loose an ACC team is Tulsa.  The SEC would prefer something better than Tulsa, but I don't see it as being available unless Texas A&M consents to a second SEC team from Texas such as Houston, SMU, or TCU.

What of the Pacific-14?  (I think like the Big Ten, the Pacific-12 will be content with just 14 unless it can get Texas to give up its toxic TV deal.)  Colorado St., New Mexico, UTEP, SMU, and Houston all look attractive, but it's hard to say.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:13 PM »

Yeah, Texas' insistence on the Longhorn network is a real obstacle.  I don't see the Pac 1x or the B1G or even the ACC (which is hinted as an outside player for Texas...and ND too...won't happen) upsetting the apple cart even if accomodating Texas is quite financially rewarding.

The thing with Rutgers is, yes, it has inroads to the NYC market...but really...its just not that great of an athletic program.  Good academics sure (can't emphasize how important academics are for the ACC and Big Ten...and Pac 1x for western schools), but aside for a few years in the early to mid 00s...its a weak football program and a laughable basketball school.  Syracuse already gets the ACC a couple games at the new meadowlands later this decade.

Word is Mizzou is to be the pair for TAMU in the SEC...depending if the Big XII collapses.  According to rumors, WVU has been rejected by the SEC.  (Couch Burning, less reputable academics-even for a conference that doesnt emphasize them as much, and a real lack of a tv market hurt).

Some have even tossed out the idea that Penn State leave the Big Ten for the ACC...which makes some sense.  PSU is an eastern school...JoePa has always wanted an Eastern league...BUT the Big Ten is stable, generates a ton of money...PSU would never leave.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »

I agree that Rutgers isn't a great choice for the Big Ten, but because of their academic requirements, I don't see a better one for them to pursue as #14 if they add Missouri as #13.  Mybe if they could get Kansas without taking Kansas St., but that seems a stretch.  Rice and Tulane only make sense if the Big 10 decides to expand to 16 teams, which I doubt it will.  Maybe in a decade, Buffalo will have made enough of a resurgence in its athletic programs to be considered by a major conference, but I can't see the Bulls leaving the MAC sooner than that, and even then it is probably wishful thinking.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2011, 11:04:03 PM »

I think the B1G and even ACC is hoping that Notre Dame realizes it needs to join up. That ND won't get another huge tv deal on it's own anymore. And that the Big East won't be a viable place to quasi associate with for too much longer.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »

Don't know how this fell to page 8, but..

Any predictions for the big game tonight?

LSU 24
Alabama 20
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »

My gut says Alabama pulls it out, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised either way.  LSU is definitely more battle-tested, at least.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »

I was wondering where this thread went. I say Alabama 17, LSU 14. Alabama wins because it's in Tuscaloosa.

Does anyone doubt that the new Big East would be absolutely awful and totally undeserving of an automatic BCS bid? The eleven teams would be as follows:

Air Force
Boise State
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Louisville
Navy
Rutgers
Southern Methodist
South Florida

As recently as 2004, Rutgers was the only one of those schools that was in a BCS conference. They've taken a collection of crap and slapped the Big East name on it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »

I was wondering where this thread went. I say Alabama 17, LSU 14. Alabama wins because it's in Tuscaloosa.

Does anyone doubt that the new Big East would be absolutely awful and totally undeserving of an automatic BCS bid? The eleven teams would be as follows:

Air Force
Boise State
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Houston
Louisville
Navy
Rutgers
Southern Methodist
South Florida

As recently as 2004, Rutgers was the only one of those schools that was in a BCS conference. They've taken a collection of crap and slapped the Big East name on it.

The Big East is more of a basketball conference, anyway.  Yes, it should be removed from BCS AQ status.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »

I just don't see the proposed additions to the Big East happening.

With the MW/C-USA football mashup in the works, there is no need for Boise State or Air Force to jump to the Big East to be in an AQ conference, indeed, they likely be jumping from an AQ conference if they did, since even with this proposed Big East, it will lose its AQ status when the next contract is up.

I don't see Navy joining the Big East for football in any circumstances short of Notre Dame and Army both doing so, which isn't going to happen.

With those three disposed of, any hopes the Big East have of getting Houston and SMU to join are toast as well.

UCF might be persuaded, if the Big East keeps USF and gets some teams such as Temple, Buffalo, ECU, and/or Marshall to join.

More likely, the Big East implodes as a football conference.  Louisville and Cincinnati join West Virginia in a twelve member Big Twelve. UConn and Rutgers join the ACC, and USF rejoins C-USA, while UTEP moves from C-USA to the MW to balance the two out.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »

so who bet the under?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2011, 09:58:39 PM by patrick1 »

I didn't bet on this and haven't sports gambled for a while but I do still tabs on spreads and the like.  I'm curious as to who else on this site has even laid a bet on sports. Perhaps Spade and Bullmoose...hmm.  I think Hugh also.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »

LSU wins, 9-6.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:56 PM »

Go Huskies!!!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »

What a crappy game. Sat their from start to finish, and was very unimpressed. Wasn't this supposed to be the game of the century?

Apparently all the commentators are calling it a great game. Meh. Maybe I would have liked it more if 'Bama won.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »

I didn't bet on this and haven't sports gambled for a while but I do still tabs on spreads and the like.  I'm curious as to who else on this site has even laid a bet on sports. Perhaps Spade and Bullmoose...hmm.  I think Hugh also.

I bet the Giants tomorrow.  for the first time ever I believe.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »

I bet the Giants tomorrow.  for the first time ever I believe.

I can't bet on Eli and the Giants.  You never know what team/QB is going to show up.  Eli throws such a nice long ball but makes so many questionable decisions.

Jets season is tomorrow, again.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »

yeah, and then again the next week, and then again the week after that.  it's a bit of a shame because I'd be totally confident naming the Jets as a top-6 team in the NFL but also would say it's at best a coin flip they make the playoffs.  still, can't wait to wake up and make coffee and scream at the tv for three hours before returning to the ever-dreary, real world.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies