Markets not happy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Markets not happy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Markets not happy  (Read 6176 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »

Dow up 143.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »

Dow up just under 300.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

It's YTD though....but it does show that the US is not the epicenter by any stretch of the imagination. Of course we are still going to get hit pretty badly considering how weak our economy already is and the connected nature of the global economy. It depends a lot on how much of Europe's crap our banks hold.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:24 PM »

Care to comment, Link:

"The U.S. Treasury suffered its worst long bond auction in 2-1/2 years on Thursday as foreign investors shunned it in the wake of a damaging budget battle and downgrade to the credit standing of the United States."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/11/markets-bonds-idUSN1E77A17320110811

I just basically post running totals of numbers to get the feel of the market.

In this case, the Dow is currently up just under 400 points, so far.

Gold is down about 50, which means that, today, money is running into stocks.
Link
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

Care to comment, Link:

Might I suggest investing is scratch paper.  This is a forum not a notepad.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »

I really can't take these types of swings too often. It's bringing back shades of 2008. Down 500 one day, up 500 the next. I don't know if this is people rushing to make a quick profit or the end of a correction.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »

Care to comment, Link:

I like keeping track. 

I really can't take these types of swings too often. It's bringing back shades of 2008. Down 500 one day, up 500 the next. I don't know if this is people rushing to make a quick profit or the end of a correction.

Its not a good sign.  This type of volatility isn't good.   There is NO rationality in the market right now.  S&P downgrades us and then people pile out of stocks and into US Treasuries.  That makes no sense.  Why would you sell everything and buy the asset that was downgraded?  S&P screwed  up big time.  When they should have been making the right call on the mortgage backed securities they lied.  Now they are throwing grenades at the world market.

It make perfect sense.  People are looking for a safer haven than stocks.  S & P just showed that the Emperor's clothes had some holes in it, which it does.

For the economy to get better, people have feel comfortable with putting money back into the market, and corporations need to feel comfortable expanding.  Nothing in DC is making them feel better.  That is why you are seeing gold so high (and it needs a bigger correction than today).  If the market rises (probably next year) Treasury yields go up.

The volatility adds to that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »

Its not a good sign.  This type of volatility isn't good.   There is NO rationality in the market right now.  S&P downgrades us and then people pile out of stocks and into US Treasuries.  That makes no sense.  Why would you sell everything and buy the asset that was downgraded?  S&P screwed  up big time.  When they should have been making the right call on the mortgage backed securities they lied.  Now they are throwing grenades at the world market.

Oddly enough I'll back the rationality of the market here.. the market is piling into treasuries because it rightly sees us entering the deflation/depression which is the inevitable result of neo-liberalism.  The debt limit crisis and downgrade were the final proof that no Keynesian solution (the only possible solution) will be allowed by the Republicans.

The downgrading of the bonds doesn't mean as much as the fact that we are going to be entering a decade of no growth and falling prices. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »

Care to comment, Link:

I like keeping track.

And others who want to keep track are perfectly capable of doing so on their own.  Your spamming of this thread and the gold thread with the latest updates has reached the point that if I see you are latest one to post in them , I just hit the mark as read button and go on, for your signal to noise ratio in this board is so low as to be not worth reading.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »

Care to comment, Link:

I like keeping track.

And others who want to keep track are perfectly capable of doing so on their own.  Your spamming of this thread and the gold thread with the latest updates has reached the point that if I see you are latest one to post in them , I just hit the mark as read button and go on, for your signal to noise ratio in this board is so low as to be not worth reading.

I am tying to see, often times what the market is doing.  The interday, especially on days of high movements, can be significant, as it shows movement.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »

Posting about breaking events on the proper board is not spamming.  These things are poll numbers, except they are ongoing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

Posting about breaking events on the proper board is not spamming.  These things are poll numbers, except they are ongoing.

It's spam if no one else is interested in it.  Not only can what you have been spamming in this board be easily obtained elsewhere, it can obtained in much more useful forms including charts.  It would be different if you were to include some analysis of why the numbers are what they are each time you spew the numbers, but you don't.

These seven posts made in a period of less than 24 hours the other day are absolutely nothing but spam:

In some good news Dow Futures are only off 24.

If you were a new poster, you'd probably be halfway to being banned on suspicious of wanting to pad your post count by now.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

How else are we suppose to follow this on a week of literally historic volatility, not to mention, the record high gold prices?  Seriously. 

If the market moved 27 points yesterday, and 12 points today, there was no other economic news, there wouldn't be these posts.  I could understand saying we shouldn't comment on this on some other board, but this is economics.

Would you prefer separate threads each day? 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

How else are we am I suppose to follow this on a week of literally historic volatility, not to mention, the record high gold prices?  Seriously.

Fixed your post, and it's been pointed out several times how you can do so.  Indeed, you must be getting your numbers from such a place.  If you want to comment on the volatility, then comment on the volatility.  Simply spewing numbers without commentary is just spam.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »

How else are we am I suppose to follow this on a week of literally historic volatility, not to mention, the record high gold prices?  Seriously.

Fixed your post, and it's been pointed out several times how you can do so.  Indeed, you must be getting your numbers from such a place.  If you want to comment on the volatility, then comment on the volatility.  Simply spewing numbers without commentary is just spam.

But generally, not preserved. 

For some thing, like gold, I can, and have, posted.  I have not been able to find any for futures, for example. 

I looked at the thread on the Iowa debate; it's 27 pages, but they are posted almost live, basically almost as the stuff is happening.  It gives some impression of what's happening, as it is happening. 

If the future (no pun intended), we might look at some things and have a shot at determining where the markets are going. 

We've had one of the most volatile weeks ever.  I think it's reasonable to focus on it, for now at least.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Have you ever heard of charts, JJ?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »

Have you ever heard of charts, JJ?

Yes, and because of the volatility, I'd have to post them repeatedly. 

Good Lord, this isn't like nothing much happened in the markets this week. 

We do this with any news story happening in real time.  Roll Eyes
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »

I looked at the thread on the Iowa debate; it's 27 pages, but they are posted almost live, basically almost as the stuff is happening.  It gives some impression of what's happening, as it is happening. 

Even the most inane responses in that thread are at least providing some commentary that gives insight into what the poster is thinking.  All posting stock and gold index numbers does is increase your post count.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »

Even the most inane responses in that thread are at least providing some commentary that gives insight into what the poster is thinking.  All posting stock and gold index numbers does is increase your post count.

Frankly, I'm more interested in what is happening than what the poster is thinking.  On the gold tread, we've actually discussed some cultural differences that tend to make gold rise higher in Asia than in America.  (And you have me, on the day that gold goes up $50, there would be a correction coming, which we might be in at this point.)

We also have a polling thread that is a lot longer, and often might consist of a poll result, without commentary, or with minimal commentary.  Generally, we don't need to do that with economics, but at point, it seems useful.  I've been interested in if the futures can be a portent of the next day's trading.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies