Will the United States experience a Double-Dip recession?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the United States experience a Double-Dip recession?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will we double-dip before November 2012?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Will the United States experience a Double-Dip recession?  (Read 1955 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »

We are in the recession now, the second dip.  It is because Obamanomics is an obamanation.

What is Obamanomics?  Sit around, do nothing, let the opposition party have their way on every issue, leave in place the irresponsible spending and tax cuts of your predecessor?

Spending huge amounts of money that don't do anything.

People who know more than you disagree. Just google CBO + stimulus + jobs saved, I'm too lazy to post the link on this forum for the seventeenth time.

The stimulus (as opposed to TARP) is one the reasons we're facing a recession today.

lol wut

Erg, I have J.J. on ignore, but I still see his posts in quotes. Thanks, Lief---you just killed several braincells, and there wasn't even a fun drug involved. Sigh!

Short term, it may have been worst, but we'd be out of it by now.  The recession actually ended prior to the spending.  Growth might have been slower, but by this point, we'd be in better shape.

Obama just kicked the can down the road two years.  Now, he's broken his foot.

You have to explain the "why". What did the money do that hurt the economy? You can't just assert, "money spent, economy bad, therefore economy bad because money spent".
Rollback
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »

A crying shame, since I do not want to have yet another Republican administration so soon after the disaster of the Bush years.  Tongue

Too late. Maybe one of these times we'll get an actual Democrat. Clinton was highly disappointing, but he was far more of an actual Democrat than Obama.

How would an "actual" Democrat have governed as opposed to Obama?
t_host1

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »

No, this is the Obama norm. The only way his transformation can continue is by way of a weak people. His plan continues as plan. His financier's are wealtheir via gold and the other commodities with wall street getting their cut. His billion in campaign cash is chump change compared to what he has done for them, the ultra's.

BTW - what happen yesterday was a euro barge backed up to the fed window and hauled a bunch of cheap dollars to the ECB, inflating the euro, hold on tight Europe, you have a adjustment coming.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »

By the economic-science definition of the word "recession", the Great Recession ended in the U.S. in June or July 2009. Thus if we expierence a recession it will not be a double dip, and simply just another recession. Perhaps we will see a double dip in markets that have not recovered, or are considered lagging indicators(i.e unemployment, housing).
It can also be defined as a 12-month period in which unemployment increased by 1.5% or more.  July's jobs reports belay taht fear, but I couldn't know that when I made this thread Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »

Maybe if the Euro unravels.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »

Yeah the jobs report tends to support my no vote, as I thought it would.

We won't be going into a literal recession, just wasted generations sacrificed on the golden toilet bowl.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »

If?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »

We are in the recession now, the second dip.  It is because Obamanomics is an obamanation.

What is Obamanomics?  Sit around, do nothing, let the opposition party have their way on every issue, leave in place the irresponsible spending and tax cuts of your predecessor?

People who know more than you disagree. Just google CBO + stimulus + jobs saved, I'm too lazy to post the link on this forum for the seventeenth time.

The stimulus (as opposed to TARP) is one the reasons we're facing a recession today.

lol wut

Erg, I have J.J. on ignore, but I still see his posts in quotes. Thanks, Lief---you just killed several braincells, and there wasn't even a fun drug involved. Sigh!

Short term, it may have been worst, but we'd be out of it by now.  The recession actually ended prior to the spending.  Growth might have been slower, but by this point, we'd be in better shape.

You have to explain the "why". What did the money do that hurt the economy? You can't just assert, "money spent, economy bad, therefore economy bad because money spent".

It created substantially more debt, which decreased investing and, ironically, decreased revenue, which led to the lowering of the bond rating, which will probably decrease investment and raise prices.  Welcome to Obananomics.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »

lol wut

It created substantially more debt, which decreased investing and, ironically, decreased revenue, which led to the lowering of the bond rating, which will probably decrease investment and raise prices.  Welcome to Obananomics.

Pithe and correct. I would add Obamanomics also has increased regulatory burdens, and added a great deal of uncertainty over future business decisions [Do I start a factory that uses electricity? What will be my electricity costs if a massive carbon tax is imposed?].
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »

First, this thread belongs in the Economics board.

Second, I have a (morbid) question of my own to the economists on this forum -what would it take to turn a double-dip recession (which is what it looks like might be happening) into a full-blown depression that could last for the duration of this decade?  Especially considering that the federal government has few tools left after fighting the last recession (which arguably ended in June 2009) and its after-effects. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:18 PM »

As a rule, economists don't use the term anymore.  A few definitions are (from Wikipedia):

Generally, periods labeled depressions are marked by a substantial and sustained shortfall of the ability to purchase goods relative to the amount that could be produced using current resources and technology (potential output). Another proposed definition of depression includes two general rules: (1) a decline in real GDP exceeding 10%, or (2) a recession lasting 2 or more years.[3][4]
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies