Fracture: The 2016 Election.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fracture: The 2016 Election.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fracture: The 2016 Election.  (Read 597 times)
NCeriale
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »

Prologue:

June 2012

Huffington Post - REPUBLICAN FIELD IN TURMOIL

NBC Evening News

"...we have come so far. But this campaign has never been about me. It's about the future of this country. Which is why this morning I have formally ended my campaign, so that we can focus on defeating Andrew Cuomo and the best way to do that is to join me in supporting Scott Brown for President."

'Brian Williams: That was Senator Marco Rubio earlier this afternoon in Orlando, FL, dropping out of the hotly contested Republican primary after the final votes had been tallied in South Dakota and Oregon, endorsing the senior Senator from Massachusetts, Scott Brown. This is a momentous occasion in American Politics, where the presumptive nominee will be the first pro-choice candidate by the Republican Party. Doubts still remain as to how united the party will be behind Brown....'

Politico - Rubio endorses Brown

P.2 ....Rubio had emerged as the front runner for the nomination after coming in second behind Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann in the Iowa caucuses. After Scott Brown's come from behind win in New Hampshire, Rubio, Bachmann and Brown and  squared off in South Carolina, where Rubio was favored but Brown surging from his upset victory came in second behind Rubio.  Brown, after winning in Michigan and coming in second in the Rubio’s home Florida primary, went on to tie Rubio nationally on Super Tuesday, opening up a lead of about 60 delegates. Rubio was largely hampered by Bachmann staying in the race, while Brown was able to take advantage of the winner take all process and solidify support in the Northeast and most notably, in California….

Bachmann would not drop out until after she was publicly urged to drop out by one of her fiercest supporters, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, who endorsed Rubio in an effort to stop pro-choice Scott Brown. The governor was unavailable for a comment today.

MSNBC: Hardball with Chris Matthews

Chris Matthews: ….why did Rubio stay in the race? Why didn’t he concede after Pennsylvania? Is he doing basically trying to cripple the nominee so he has the better chance in 2020. Joan?

Joan Walsh:  Hi, Chris. Yeah, Marco Rubio and to a lesser extent Michele Bachmann are emblematic of that whole Tea Party thing of cutting off their nose to spite their face. In fact in this case, sinking the nominee off of only one issue that isn’t in line with tea party orthodoxy, they’re cutting off their face to spite their nose-

Matthews: Ha! Let me bring Chris Cilizza in on this. Chris, I love your blog the Fix. I read it every day. So what’s the deal? You’re Karl Rove or the Chairman of the RNC, you’ve got a formidable opponent in Andrew Cuomo, where do you go from here?

Chris Cilizza: Hey Chris, thanks for the plug. First, a point of disagreement with Joan with the whole sinking the nominee. Let’s look at what happened after Pennsylvania where everyone knew now that Scott Brown would come out on top without some implosion. Rubio didn’t drop out but he didn’t really directly attack Brown from there on. If you noticed he went on the attack against Andrew Cuomo. If anything, he was showing off his attack dog chomps to help sink Cuomo in the general while keeping the base placated.

Matthews: Wait are you saying he stayed in the race to give the pro-life people just the illusion of a choice? How does that work, cause they’re still voting against the nominee of the party?

Walsh: The field's in chaos Chris.

Cilliza: Don't underestimate how disciplined the Republicans are. Brown putting Rubio on the ticket solves that dilemma. I think that’s what Rubio’s been auditioning for after he figured he couldn't w-

Matthews:  Yeah like a show of force. That whole ‘me and my friends in half the convention would appreciate a spot for me on the ticket.‘ That’s interesting.

FOX NEWS- Hannity

Sean Hannity: ….why did Rubio concede? He should’ve fought it to the convention. I know you’re going to disagree with me Karl but that’s the problem with republicans these days! They’ve been giving the liberals in the democrat party what they want!

Karl Rove: Well I think that Rubio ran a great race. He was my original pick as you know, but I think the best way to defeat Andrew Cuomo, who does support third trimester abortions, Sean is to elect Scott Brown. The best thing he can do to get elected is to put Marco Rubio on the ticket.

Sean Hannity: Rubio should've stuck it out to the convention....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies