Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87129 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

Maybe, Tmth. My grandfather absolutely loves Indiana; though he is a graduate of Michigan and Miami.

applying to undergrad is way more fun than applying to law school

Hey, you went to Cornell for undergraduate studies, right? How did you like it? That school is  close to the top on my list.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »

applying to undergrad is way more fun than applying to law school

Hey, you went to Cornell for undergraduate studies, right? How did you like it? That school is  close to the top on my list.

I've dealt with it ok.  I'm sort of an atypical case for a variety of reasons, I never got involved with the Greek system nor its spheres of influence, and I go to one of the smallest schools (ILR has 800 kids, all of whom have the same major).  it's a diverse place so you're highly likely to find something you like if you seek it.  just be sure to pack boots and an overcoat.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

Bad stats?  Other than a so-so GPA these aren't bad.  Is college that much harder to get into?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

Is college that much harder to get into?

Pretty much.  More applicants + intensive college training = hell of a time getting in anywhere.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »

So, I went to a college fair on Thursday at a neighboring high school. Very disappointed. The only two schools I was interested in that were present were UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U$C, and there were practically no privates from out of state. MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them. Not even Stanford was present, which shocked me. Though I bet the Stanford Admissions Office thinks that not a single person who would approach them would get admitted, so maybe they didn't see it as worthwhile to go. It's a shame, because I thought the Ivies and Ivy-caliber institutions would be there, and only a few comparable institutions showed up.

In any case, it was not a fun night. I really strained myself the entire day, and my body literally collapsed from exhaustion afterward.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

Apply to uOttawa, noobs.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »

So, I went to a college fair on Thursday at a neighboring high school. Very disappointed. The only two schools I was interested in that were present were UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U$C, and there were practically no privates from out of state. MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them. Not even Stanford was present, which shocked me. Though I bet the Stanford Admissions Office thinks that not a single person who would approach them would get admitted, so maybe they didn't see it as worthwhile to go. It's a shame, because I thought the Ivies and Ivy-caliber institutions would be there, and only a few comparable institutions showed up.

In any case, it was not a fun night. I really strained myself the entire day, and my body literally collapsed from exhaustion afterward.

Stanford, Harvard, and UPenn do pretty much all their "college admissions fairs" together with Georgetown and Duke. So if you want them keep an eye out I'm sure they'll make some stops in Michigan, they were going to Montana after they came to Colorado Springs
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

wtf is your problem Angry
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »

Thanks A-Bob. I'll keep an eye out. I'm on the mailing list.

MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

Hey, I really did wantto, but couldn't. Due to my back's recovery, I can't stand for more than ten minutes at a time, and I got really sick while I was there. My friend loved their info, though.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

Thanks A-Bob. I'll keep an eye out. I'm on the mailing list.

Hey, I really did wantto, but couldn't. Due to my back's recovery, I can't stand for more than ten minutes at a time, and I got really sick while I was there. My friend loved their info, though.

Well, at least you know they're in the area Grin
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »

Come to UW, I think you have a shot at getting in. I think you have a shot at getting in most of the top-tier public schools.

In that case he should go to UVA.  #1 public school in the nation.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

Come to UW, I think you have a shot at getting in. I think you have a shot at getting in most of the top-tier public schools.

UVA is very hard for an out-of-state applicant. You Virginians have it easy. My friend was accepted at Princeton and MIT, but rejected at UVA.

And besides, Cal Berkeley, despite all of its current problems, is the best public school in the nation. 68 Nobel Prizes do not lie. Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2011, 09:08:40 PM by ilikeverin »

Michigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan State!

What makes State better than Ann Arbor?

We give you money, Michigan doesn't! Grin

Also, our Honors College program is better.  I don't know of many other programs which let you bypass literally every single course prereq if you so desire, enroll in graduate-level classes at will, ignore core curriculum requirements in favor of a general set of class distributions, and substitute classes willy-nilly for degree requirements (my psych degree is being fulfilled with the help of something like 3 non-psych classes).

There's also a different in "feel" on the campus.  MSU is definitely much more campus-like; it's just one big block of land that's Michigan State, with East Lansing kind of chilling there on the north side.  Michigan is more integrated with Ann Arbor, but from what I've heard it's more in a "they stick buildings at random places where they happen to have room" kind of way, not like UW-Madison where I was blown off my feet by the amazing seamlessness of it.

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations?

Michigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan State!
I've been getting stuff recently from both Michigan State and Michigan. Interesting schools, but high tuition costs.

MSU's Honors College is [about trying to make it affordable for talented out-of-state students to come to MSU.
I was living in EL this summer, and I've got to say it's a pretty boring place, and the campus isn't that pedestrian friendly. I think this is the reason for some of the things u listed. I can't speak about UM, but UW campus(where I'm attending right now) blows MSU out of the water.

I don't deny Lansing is a very dull town.  But who cares?  The other benefits of coming to MSU make it worthwhile to live in Michigan for four years.  If you're picking a college based on where it's located (other than wanting to move somewhere away from home or close to home), you're choosing for very petty reasons.

Personally, I really like East Lansing in the summer.  The campus is much nicer without the masses buffeting you when you're on the way to the lab Wink

Or he should avoid somewhere where he'll get in debt up to his ears Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2011, 01:52:23 AM »

ANU, now home to six Nobel prizes, is always a good choice Wink
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »

According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted"

Very odd.  If you do Speech and Debate, I'd consider a school like GMU, especially if you do OO or Extemp.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »

Yeah, since Tulane is making it free I'll probably apply there.

...?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »

It most certainly is.  Not only is the faculty better than that of UC-Berkeley, UCLA, or Michigan, but it is also a better size, fewer financial issues, etc.  Definitively #1.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »

It most certainly is.  Not only is the faculty better than that of UC-Berkeley, UCLA, or Michigan, but it is also a better size, fewer financial issues, etc.  Definitively #1.

lolllllll being partisan.

The obvious answer is that "the best public school in the country" differs depending on the program.  For linguistics, it's Maryland; for nuclear physics and secondary education, it's Michigan State; for cognitive science, it's Indiana; and so on and so forth.  I'm sure it's Virginia for some random things, too.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

The obvious answer is that "the best public school in the country" differs depending on the program.  For linguistics, it's Maryland; for nuclear physics and secondary education, it's Michigan State; for cognitive science, it's Indiana; and so on and so forth.  I'm sure it's Virginia for some random things, too.

Don't ruin my narrative, Verin Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2011, 06:45:30 AM »

Don't ruin my narrative, Verin Wink

Well, no one seems to be paying much attention to mine, so I might as well ruin everyone else's!  Because I'm a Scooby Doo villain or something!  Muahahahaha!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2011, 02:14:25 AM »

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.

You could come to Gonzaga! We are roughly equivalent to UW and yet a fair distance closer to Idaho. Though honestly I would probably have gone to Seattle U. if I had to make the choice over again (I love the Jesuit education model but personally prefer Seattle to Spokane). Also Whitman is a GREAT option, although it would be very difficult to get in. What is your unweighted GPA by the way?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

Hmm Whitman is a very good school.  A family friend (from my high school) got a full ride there for Debate.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »

Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

Carleton as in Carleton U, where the K stands for quality or...?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

You could come to Gonzaga! We are roughly equivalent to UW and yet a fair distance closer to Idaho. Though honestly I would probably have gone to Seattle U. if I had to make the choice over again (I love the Jesuit education model but personally prefer Seattle to Spokane). Also Whitman is a GREAT option, although it would be very difficult to get in. What is your unweighted GPA by the way?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies