Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87177 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »

Cut UC-Boulder (it will go on as a good school without you)

No, don't cut UC-Boulder.  It's an excellent school and you can actually get money from them.
^^^ This. You need to keep your options open, and while you may want to go East, it will offer you a cheap, solid education. Granted, it's no Harvard, but it's no community college either.

It is cheap, and there's a chance I can get a full ride without the Boettecher scholarship there. I'd be able to start as a sophomore . But I extremely dislike CU, I know I'm not actually choosing the college I'll go to right now...but ugh, Colorado schools trap you into this state.

Then why not apply to schools out of state?  Look, many state schools offer money to out-of-state students.  (Virginia is an exception: they have a full-ride merit-based scholarship and not many of those and that's it.) Take a look at Michigan's scholarships.  Heck, check out Michigan State's scholarships.  If you meet the criteria for the Professorial Assistantship (and, if your walk matches your talk, your ACT was at least 33 or your "old-SAT" was at least 1500), you get in-state tuition.  (that's, oh, $37,400/yr cheaper than Yale.  so, over 4 years, you'll save $149,600 of your/your parents' money.  Michigan State is generous with its AP credit, so you might be able to do it in three years, too...)

A cursory glance around undergraduate institutions elsewhere reveals that scholarships for out-of-state students aren't an uncommon phenomenon, though I don't see anything like MSU's in-state-equivalency scholarship... but Ohio State has one (and competitive full rides), Indiana has two (and competitive full rides), Vermont has three...

And if you mention the fact that your parents are horrible people horrible people horrible people people who value prestige again, I swear to God I'll call them up and repeat "$149,600" over and over and over again until they get the message! Wink (that was you, wasn't it?)

Hehe

Okay I just saw an article (though the link to it's source didn't work) that Michigan cuts OOS tuition in half for impressive scores. Outside of Michigan and UVa, I've looked at UNC Chapel Hill (though that's real tough to get in out of state, something around 87% have to come from North Carolina), and Berkeley. You build better state schools on the east coast...and California.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »

Hmm, how do I encourage A-Bob to apply to my college without actually revealing where I go...? What a dilemma...

Go Dartmouth, too!

I don't think I could live in such a small community...especially when such an overwhelming amount are greek sorry. And NYC...will never be for me haha
Foucaulf
« Reply #652 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

To clarify, I think everyone with their mind in the right place ought to apply to a state school or two. Surely UC-Boulder is worth applying to more than University of Denver...

Really, in this era of college admissions chaos to compete for the best brand-names one ought to apply to 20 of them. More reason to apply for publics, I think.

(And, to be coy, everyone who applies to Dartmouth should read this article.)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #653 on: September 11, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »

I'm trying to finalize my list of grad schools to apply to. I'm for sure applying to UW and WSU, plus two or three from a list of California schools: UCSD, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UCSB, USC. I will almost certainly apply to UCSD.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #654 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

You build better state schools on the east coast...and California.

Says who?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #655 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »

I'm trying to finalize my list of grad schools to apply to. I'm for sure applying to UW and WSU, plus two or three from a list of California schools: UCSD, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UCSB, USC. I will almost certainly apply to UCSD.

My recommendations, FWIW.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #656 on: September 12, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »

If all your time has been on the West Coast I'd recommend looking at grad schools in other regions of the US. I grew up and went to college in the Midwest. One of my best decisions for grad school was going to New England. I not only got a good education in my chosen field, but learned a lot about the country through the eyes of another region.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #657 on: September 12, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

Says who?

California Schools, Michigan, UNC, UNC Chapel Hill, U Penn, Wisconsin Madison- are some of the best schools in the nation. What western, non-pacific, school is equally accredited?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #658 on: September 12, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »

Says who?

California Schools, Michigan, UNC, UNC Chapel Hill, U Penn, Wisconsin Madison- are some of the best schools in the nation. What western, non-pacific, school is equally accredited?

U Penn isn't a state school, despite its name.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #659 on: September 12, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

Says who?

Furthermore, Michigan and UW-Madison are definitely not East Coast.  It also depends on what you mean by "western, non-Pacific"; off the top of my head Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona, Arizona State, UC-Boulder, Kansas, and UT-Austin are all fine schools.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #660 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

Says who?

Furthermore, Michigan and UW-Madison are definitely not East Coast.  It also depends on what you mean by "western, non-Pacific"; off the top of my head Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona, Arizona State, UC-Boulder, Kansas, and UT-Austin are all fine schools.

Don't forget Illinois! Not only are we a "Public Ivy," but the Princeton Review rated us as the #4 party school in the nation. #WorkHardPlayHard
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #661 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

The college application process stinks.  I'm glad I'm long done with it.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #662 on: September 12, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »

The college application process is horrible and I'm not looking forward to going through the gauntlet again. Grad school, gotta attain dat human capital.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #663 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »

Says who?

Well east of the Mississippi where it is green and not the deep south
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #664 on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »

Says who?

Don't forget U Illinois Urbana Champaign. For public universities it ranks as an equivalent to UT-Austin and ahead of everything else on your list. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #665 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:35 PM »

The law school application process, on the other hand, is fantastic. Basically all the schools care about is your GPA and your LSAT, the applications are basically all identical, and it's very easy to confidently predict which schools will accept you and which will reject you. Plus studying for the LSAT is fun.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #666 on: September 13, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »

The law school application process, on the other hand, is fantastic. Basically all the schools care about is your GPA and your LSAT, the applications are basically all identical, and it's very easy to confidently predict which schools will accept you and which will reject you. Plus studying for the LSAT is fun.

Is this sarcasm?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #667 on: September 13, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »

The college application process is horrible and I'm not looking forward to going through the gauntlet again. Grad school, gotta attain dat human capital.

You have a four year break and then you're right back at it! Not something to look forward to, unfortunately.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #668 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:11 AM »

Is this sarcasm?

No, thought I understand why you would mistake it for sarcasm.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #669 on: September 13, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »

That's nice. Don't think PhD programs are that easy, so... but I don't think going for the five-year program here is that bad. Last year 8 people applied to the BA-MPA/MIA program and all 8 got in, so...
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #670 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:16 AM »

I actually enjoyed the college admissions process. Mostly because I treated it as a game. Ooh let's fill in the blanks for fun. Ooh, let's see how I can dodge this question. etc. etc.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #671 on: September 13, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

Is this sarcasm?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #672 on: September 13, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

I'm now officially a Boettcher scholarship nominee. There's around 1,200 now, the last 40 standing receive free tuition to any school, public or private, for four years in Colorado (although quite a few people turn it down and an alternate happily takes the place)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #673 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

This is true. And yes, the LSAT actually is kind of more interesting than most standardized tests. Logic games can actually be fun. And now that you can take the LSATs multiple times (essentially), it's not as stressful anymore.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #674 on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

Anyone applying early action/decision? I've been working through the wee hours of the morning for the last two weeks, only to completely throw out a supplemental essay and change the topic...with a day to go! haha
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies