Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:48:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87131 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )

I know, I just refuse to use that backwards acronym, it's stupid. Tongue

Really though, a 4.0 GPA to get into CU-Boulder? I thought it was far easier than that to get in, even if you were out of state.

If freshman year you got a weighted 2.4 GPA and CU being an out of state school, then yes you should get a 4.0 to make up for it, unless you are planning on going into sports at CU. It's possible to go under and still get in, I mean the school isn't that grand at all except a decent engineering program, but if you want to guarantee 99% you'll get in you need to get up to that 4.0. Your SAT scores are great for CU though so that will help
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations?

Michigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan State!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )

I know, I just refuse to use that backwards acronym, it's stupid. Tongue

Really though, a 4.0 GPA to get into CU-Boulder? I thought it was far easier than that to get in, even if you were out of state.

If freshman year you got a weighted 2.4 GPA and CU being an out of state school, then yes you should get a 4.0 to make up for it, unless you are planning on going into sports at CU. It's possible to go under and still get in, I mean the school isn't that grand at all except a decent engineering program, but if you want to guarantee 99% you'll get in you need to get up to that 4.0. Your SAT scores are great for CU though so that will help

Oh okay, I was confused by your post and thought you meant that I needed to get my cumulative up to a 5.0. A 4.0 this semester should be easy for me to get this semester, too bad I failed one out of the four math tests in my College Algebra (Pre-Calc) course. I've honestly been thinking about not going to CU though, hence why I was asking about other colleges? Tongue

There's always the possibility that my SAT scores will be in the 2300+ once I retake it. Hopefully.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »

What makes State better than Ann Arbor?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »

I've been getting stuff recently from both Michigan State and Michigan. Interesting schools, but high tuition costs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

I've figured out that for Early Action I'll be applying to:
University of Virginia
Georgetown University
University of Michigan
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 02:00:39 PM by ilikeverin »

What makes State better than Ann Arbor?

We give you money, Michigan doesn't! Grin

Also, our Honors College program is better.  I don't know of many other programs which let you bypass literally every single course prereq if you so desire, enroll in graduate-level classes at will, ignore core curriculum requirements in favor of a general set of class distributions, and substitute classes willy-nilly for degree requirements (my psych degree is being fulfilled with the help of something like 3 non-psych classes).

There's also a different in "feel" on the campus.  MSU is definitely much more campus-like; it's just one big block of land that's Michigan State, with East Lansing kind of chilling there on the north side.  Michigan is more integrated with Ann Arbor, but from what I've heard it's more in a "they stick buildings at random places where they happen to have room" kind of way, not like UW-Madison where I was blown off my feet by the amazing seamlessness of it.

I've been getting stuff recently from both Michigan State and Michigan. Interesting schools, but high tuition costs.

MSU's Honors College is really good about trying to make it affordable for talented out-of-state students to come to MSU.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

University of Virginia
Georgetown University
University of Michigan

I thought it was only possible to do two early actions?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

I thought it was only possible to do two early actions?

I don't think so.  I'll have to check, though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »

University of Virginia
Georgetown University
University of Michigan

Hmm, I always thought it was your ambition to attend Harvard. Why not apply there early decision? By the way, are you applying to Georgetown College, or the School of Foreign Service?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »

When was this decided?

Also, I figure I'd release my new list (it keeps changing):

Indiana - Accepted
Purdue - Will apply, interested in seeing how many scholarship offers I'd get\
Kansas- Found out about a great program they have for student's out-of-state, so it's definately back on the table.
Weber State/Utah - Under this scenario I'd go to Weber, then transfer to Utah after 2 years.
Indiana State - If all else falls through, I'll be stuck going here, but this is very unlikely. I feel pretty confident I'll be graduating from a BCS school.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »

Hmm, I always thought it was your ambition to attend Harvard. Why not apply there early decision? By the way, are you applying to Georgetown College, or the School of Foreign Service?

It's a strategic decision.  I have a better chance applying Regular Decision to Harvard, when my test scores will be higher, and I can now apply to additional schools - UVA is very high on my list too.  And I'll likely be applying to Georgetown College, although Walsh is tempting as I wish to study Diplomatic History/become a diplomat.

Isaac: I decided to apply to Michigan essentially as a safety; I've heard it's easy to get in to for an out of state person with my qualifications, so I'm going for it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:32 AM »

Michigan's a safety? What?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »

I do think your system of application is much better than our centralised system based on raw numbers and specific course to be taken.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »

My grades and test score line up well with Michigan, and my extra-curriculars are excellent.  Plus, I'm out of state.  They can charge me up the wazoo.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »

I don't think Harvard has early action anymore, do they? Or did they just do away with early decision? I remember they were changing their admissions procedures while I was applying to colleges in 2006/2007.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »

I don't think Harvard has early action anymore, do they? Or did they just do away with early decision? I remember they were changing their admissions procedures while I was applying to colleges in 2006/2007.

Harvard and Princeton just added early action back
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »

Harvard is also Single Choice, meaning I cannot do EA anywhere else.  If it were unrestricted, like UVA, Georgetown, and Michigan, I'd go for it.  But I'm now better off waiting.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »

I do think your system of application is much better than our centralised system based on raw numbers and specific course to be taken.

Plus we have ANU, Melbourne, USyd, Monash, and UNSW for 'free', the first two of which at least would make the top 20 list of unis if they were in the US. So nyah nyah ne nyah nyah.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

Harvard is also Single Choice, meaning I cannot do EA anywhere else.  If it were unrestricted, like UVA, Georgetown, and Michigan, I'd go for it.  But I'm now better off waiting.

The acceptance rate will be higher (twice as higher according to the last years they did it) if you apply early for them though. How will waiting increase your chances?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »

The acceptance rate will be higher (twice as higher according to the last years they did it) if you apply early for them though. How will waiting increase your chances?

Higher test scores and grades, and more tournaments to win.  Plus applying EA to multiple schools is just more comforting.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »

I just spent a couple hours this afternoon starting the application to Notre Dame's graduate school. I'm planning to apply to MIT, Ohio State, and SUNY Buffalo also. In case anyone is wondering at the odd selection, those schools happen to have particular Chemical Engineering resources I'm interested in. (There's a method to my madness... Tongue)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »

Weren't you applying to UChicago as well? They also have unrestricted Early Action.

Hey, I just had a crazy idea. Since many of us are applying to the same colleges, wouldn't it be crazy if some of the posters here chose to attend the same one? Of course, I'm a year behind most here, but still, it would be funny.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »

That would be cool, NiK. Come to Indiana! Tongue

I applied to KU last night.
© tweed
Miamiu1027