Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:52:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 86517 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »

I walked around NYU today. Such a cool neighborhood. So many cuties. So many awesome-looking restaurants. Still probably going to Columbia though.

My brother got waitlisted from Georgetown today, which is weird because he got rejected by George Washington. If he doesn't get off the waitlist he's either going to UT Austin or Boston College, though if I were him I would pick UT.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #451 on: March 30, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »

I walked around NYU today. Such a cool neighborhood. So many cuties. So many awesome-looking restaurants. Still probably going to Columbia though.

My brother got waitlisted from Georgetown today, which is weird because he got rejected by George Washington. If he doesn't get off the waitlist he's either going to UT Austin or Boston College, though if I were him I would pick UT.

if you're still in that neighborhood in NY check out this little restaurant 'Natori' and order the fried alligator appetizer.  absolutely amazing.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #452 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

Wait-listed at Harvard and Columbia is awesome! I hope you get to go to Harvard Cheesy

Thanks!  I doubt it'll happen, and I expect to go to UVA (which I'm excited for), but twice in three years a Jewish debater from my school has gotten off the waitlist at Harvard, so I'm optimistic.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »

I got into NYU but I'm still committed to Reed.

If you don't mind me saying so, you must have wrote one hell of an essay to get into such schools, considering that you had a 3.4 weighted.Smiley But you said you had a big upward trend, so maybe GPA doesn't matter as much as I thought.

What's the big difference between Columbia Law and NYU Law anyway? They both have excellent placement, and seem to be on the same tier. Why not go to the school with the hotter girls?
Foucaulf
« Reply #454 on: April 01, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »

Congratulations to all! It seems like everyone in this thread has gotten into one school they wanted, and that's what really matters.

Was surprised Ben didn't get into Northwestern and Simfan didn't get into every school to which he applied, considering how much more impressive their resumes were. But they seem like they didn't set their hearts on one school in the first place, which is a very good attitude to have.

Too bad no one here got accepted to my school, but that also means there won't be the awkward moment when I bump into said person. There's a silver lining to everything.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #455 on: April 02, 2012, 04:34:29 AM »

Just our of interest: How much time and effort goes into these university applications in the U.S.? It seems incredibly difficult and annoying, from what I've been reading in this thread.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #456 on: April 02, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

Just our of interest: How much time and effort goes into these university applications in the U.S.? It seems incredibly difficult and annoying, from what I've been reading in this thread.
Depnds - My IU application took less than an hour. Many applications themselves take roughly that long. Just factor in the essays - you'll get 1-4 typically in an application, and how long it takes per essay.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »

it is its own massive industry.  children of the upper-middle class or the bourgeois are often forced into cupboards, devoting the soul of their existence to the goal at the tender age of 16-17.  it's cruel stuff and goes a long way to pacifying the future managerial/political class, harvesting attitudes of submission to authority and a more general fatalism.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »

...and then of course once they are "successful" they get sacked with $150k of debt, so their lives are very literally foreverafter owned by finance capital.  land of the free.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »

Yeah, I've been reading through this thread with an increasing sense of horror. This whole process seems like a pretty miserable experience.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

Yeah, I've been reading through this thread with an increasing sense of horror. This whole process seems like a pretty miserable experience.

Yeah, this thread is gross. It's also reminding me that where you went to school doesn't mean all that much. I mean, does anybody really think Benconstine is smarter than Xahar? I know I've poked fun at Xahar before but he's obviously about ten times smarter than Ben.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »

When I applied to Wake Forest in 2007, I had to write 7 essays and 2 short answers. I don't know why I did that application at the time.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »

Yeah, this thread is gross. It's also reminding me that where you went to school doesn't mean all that much. I mean, does anybody really think Benconstine is smarter than Xahar? I know I've poked fun at Xahar before but he's obviously about ten times smarter than Ben.

Don't be a dick, dude. You're right about how it doesn't really matter in the end, but there's no need to put other members down for their accomplishments.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #463 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

Tweed's last two posts are very on point.

What's the big difference between Columbia Law and NYU Law anyway? They both have excellent placement, and seem to be on the same tier. Why not go to the school with the hotter girls?

Columbia has better job placement (especially outside of New York, but generally within the city as well) and is more prestigious/well-known. And living in Morningside Heights is probably $5000-6000 cheaper per year, which isn't an insignificant amount of money.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »

GW has a habit of rejecting people they think are overqualified and won't end up going there in order to reduce their acceptance rate. I have a friend who got into Georgetown outright but was rejected from GW.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »

I like NYU. My ex girlfriend is there now, but she's really not living it up like she should. I know I would be if I was in her shoes. I loved the neighborhood and the restaurants in the area.

My best friend goes to Columbia Med and told me he has to have 2 wallets. 1 to leave in his room and one to carry with him incase its stolen. Sounds like a  great place to be. Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

It's also reminding me that where you went to school doesn't mean all that much.

It really, really, really doesn't, as I've been trying to yell at the Ben et als who are so excited to get themselves shoulder-deep in debt.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »

The process is drawn out and depressing. Many colleges place emphasis on perspective students actually visiting the school and being interviewed. While I enjoyed visiting Reed and my interview, there's no denying that it was a hassle for my family and that if I was of lesser means such activities would be impossible.

The competitive aspect of the process is getting to the point of absurdity and this raises the stress levels of applicants to atmospheric levels. It's all too easy for essays to become contrived pieces of Inks for this reason.

I'm just thankful that I was able to get into a great LAC without going through the pressure cooker that is an "Ivy League"-prep education (I don't know what else to term it) that forces you to get straight A's on a full AP or IB schedule for all of your high school career along with a bunch of BS extracurriculars and sports. Getting a fairly SAT score was easy for me and I'm sure if I took more difficult classes that interested me, I would have done even better but in order to really be considered by a few of the schools I desired to attend I'd have to take AP Chemistry or other such horrors that literally had nothing to do with my future.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »

It's also reminding me that where you went to school doesn't mean all that much.

It really, really, really doesn't, as I've been trying to yell at the Ben et als who are so excited to get themselves shoulder-deep in debt.

I'll disagree with this: different schools offer vastly different experiences. The difference between some crunchy LAC like Oberlin and Harvard or UC-Berkeley and Texas A&M is extreme. As far as academics/grad school/employment goes, it doesn't have to matter at all though.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »

my applications werent bad at all, but I didn't really apply to many reach schools Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »

The German university system doesn't really place significant value on one university over another. Although there are rankings these days and certain universities (e.g. Munich) tend to be at the top usually, most universities in the country are thought to be relatively comparable, and I would say that which one you attended is not very important concerning future job opportunities.

Access to the universities (to simplify a bit...there are some exceptions and "personal interviews" are used in certain circumstances to make borderline determinations) is relatively uniform.

Slightly simplified, there are "access restricted" and "non access restricted" subjects. Each university determines themselves how they want to organize their programs. (Medicine, Dentistry and one or two others are restricted at federal level rather than at university level).

If a subject is not restricted (increasingly seldom with increasing student numbers, budget cuts, etc.), you just state you are going to study that subject at that university. Prove you have health insurance, show ID, provide a copy of your Abitur, and you're all set.

If a subject IS restricted, almost always, "applicants" are admitted to the programs ENTIRELY based on their average Abitur grade. They'll have x slots available, and starting at the top grade, x people will be admitted in the order of their GPAs.

That's pretty much it, I've never heard of anything remotely similar to what people in this thread have described.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »

College admissions in the US are often times completely arbitrary. Things like legacy, whether your mother and father went to college, skin color, ethnicity, orientation all matter. Schools like to talk about how diverse their student body is. And SATs at a lot of schools tended to trump GPA back when I was applying. I don't know if that's changed though.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #472 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:11 PM »

We've gone 32 pages without fighting and personal attacks. Please don't ruin this thread now by making insults.

<cue kitty joke>

College admissions in the US are often times completely arbitrary. Things like legacy, whether your mother and father went to college, skin color, ethnicity, orientation all matter. Schools like to talk about how diverse their student body is. And SATs at a lot of schools tended to trump GPA back when I was applying. I don't know if that's changed though.
We have a perfect example of this at our county rivals school, became kinda a big deal.
Student A: Average GPA, Decent Test Scores, High Amount of Extracurricular Activities - White Male
Student B: Average GPA, Decent Test Scores, but slightly worse than Student A, Low Amount of Extracurricular Activities - African-American Female

Can you guess which one was accepted and which one wasn't? (Hint: Student B was accepted)

It all worked out in the end, as they both ended up getting in, though there was some controversy. The irony is the black female didn't get any big scholarships, so she's not going to IU now while the white male is.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #473 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

The German university system doesn't really place significant value on one university over another. Although there are rankings these days and certain universities (e.g. Munich) tend to be at the top usually, most universities in the country are thought to be relatively comparable, and I would say that which one you attended is not very important concerning future job opportunities.

Access to the universities (to simplify a bit...there are some exceptions and "personal interviews" are used in certain circumstances to make borderline determinations) is relatively uniform.

Slightly simplified, there are "access restricted" and "non access restricted" subjects. Each university determines themselves how they want to organize their programs. (Medicine, Dentistry and one or two others are restricted at federal level rather than at university level).

If a subject is not restricted (increasingly seldom with increasing student numbers, budget cuts, etc.), you just state you are going to study that subject at that university. Prove you have health insurance, show ID, provide a copy of your Abitur, and you're all set.

If a subject IS restricted, almost always, "applicants" are admitted to the programs ENTIRELY based on their average Abitur grade. They'll have x slots available, and starting at the top grade, x people will be admitted in the order of their GPAs.

That's pretty much it, I've never heard of anything remotely similar to what people in this thread have described.

Yeah, what Franzl described is what I thought was normal standard-fare procedures, not all the horror this thread describes.

In Ontario, I paid a fee to gain access to an online system called OUAC where I could apply to three universities in Ontario directly through a single online interface, which included copies of my grades (updated throughout the rest of the year) and the bullsh**t they need. If I had wanted to apply to a uni outside the province I think I would have needed to do the stuff myself but I don't recall all this horror. Most programs had pre-requisite HS classes - normally an English university-level and often a math or science university-level. The normal admission average is about 75%, depending on the program and school.

Karleton and OttawaU accepted me within days of sending in my admission request, with scholarship and advance dibs on rez if I wanted. Queens responded a month or two later (their standards are apparently tougher) but they didn't bribe me and I would have needed to be bribed to go live in Kingston anyhow (it's a nice city, but c'mon). Karleton called me like 5 times before the deadline for my answer to all universities (in May iirc) to entice me to come or whatever, and I think Ottawa might have too. I quickly decided on Ottawa anyways, even though I was more familiar with Carleton.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »

ilikeverin will be pleased to know that I've gotten into Maryland and am now strongly considering attending.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies