Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 03:20:07 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 35245 times)
xavier110
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -7.83

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2012, 07:11:09 pm »
Ignore

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
Ignore

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.

Does that mean I scare you?

xavier110
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:11 pm »
Ignore

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »
Ignore

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.

Ivy League FTW!

xavier110
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:47 pm »
Ignore

But I'm biased.

Ivy League FTW!

But Cornell and Brown are tragic places
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »
Ignore

But I'm biased.

Ivy League FTW!

But Cornell and Brown are tragic places

The former: See young Tweed.

But I have good friends at both....

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:25 pm »
Ignore

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)

I thought so, too.  Then I went to the institution with the ninth-largest undergraduate enrollment in the country, and I couldn't be happier.  Then again, I applied to anywhere from Michigan State (enrollment: 47,954) to Swarthmore College (enrollment: 1,545), so needless to say, size was not a priority for me.  I've got to say, though, attending a large institution has definitely meant this place can offer a lot of resources that a smaller school can't...

(also lol only 7,934 undergrads being scary)

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »
Ignore

My financial aid was lost at IU - long, complicated story...

Anyways, I'm stuck going to Indiana State for a year or two, where I'm renting a house with a couple friends. Then ill transfer back to IU.

Woe is me... Sad

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 26, 2012, 11:33:41 pm »
Ignore

This forum is quickly becoming a haven for kids who go to selective colleges. At this rate, in five years all the youngins will exclusively go to Ivy League schools and be Jewish, Asian or WASPs.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2012, 01:57:11 am »
Ignore

This forum is quickly becoming a haven for kids who go to selective colleges. At this rate, in five years all the youngins will exclusively go to Ivy League schools and be Jewish, Asian or WASPs.

Need that be an and or an or? If it's the former I'm a strange paradox. Tmth, I'd like to repeat my commiserations.

Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2012, 02:00:09 am »
Ignore

That really sucks Tmth. I'd be pretty devastated if I was in your situation.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2012, 08:08:27 am »
Ignore

My financial aid was lost at IU - long, complicated story...

Anyways, I'm stuck going to Indiana State for a year or two, where I'm renting a house with a couple friends. Then ill transfer back to IU.

Woe is me... Sad

That's horrible.  *hughughug*

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »
Ignore

Deepest condolences, Tmth.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
Ignore

That's terrible Tmth, so sorry. Maybe it's for the best and you'll actually love Indiana State more Cheesy

So far I've visited Princeton, Yale, and Brown and am currently in Boston. Brown had by far the most energetic and confident kids for the tours followed by Yale and Princeton way behind- I guess it proves their number in the nation for students being happy on campus. Princeton's campus is cool, but outside of it is...New Jersey... Yale's campus was better and larger. New Haven isn't as terrible as it is made out to be, but still pretty bad. However, the Professor's are great and helpful, actually more helpful on student and social life than their own classes lol. One literally knew nothing of the workload, that Yale even had distribution requirements when he recommended I look at all areas of studying sooner rather than later in college. Interestingly they both talked specifically about Georgetown out of all the colleges I listed that I was visiting and compared it to Yale. One Yale professor and the Princeton professor I met with both recommended that I apply to U Michigan, though the Princeton prof went there- his only advice was go to the school where you'll have the most fun because it's four years you can't get back. I couldn't met with anyone at Brown, but basically there are zero Brown professors there right now since virtually all the summer courses are taught by non-Brown professors, either that or they have a policy to not meet with prospective undergrad students.

Right now I absolutely love how Yale's residential college system works, but also like the atmosphere at Brown and not so much their living system. Yale also seems like my lifestyle, even though I don't always enjoy it- do as many extra circulars as possible and stay up until 4am studying and doing homework.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2012, 10:23:46 am »
Ignore

Oh, god, you should see my school. Twenty people going to Ivy League schools, five more at Stanford, and of course almost 20% are going to Berkeley.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 30, 2012, 01:47:49 am »
Ignore

Visiting Reed next week. For the resident Reedie (looking at you, EMD), what should I ask? Should I be nervous about my interview?

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 30, 2012, 01:52:08 am »
Ignore

Oh, god, you should see my school. Twenty people going to Ivy League schools, five more at Stanford, and of course almost 20% are going to Berkeley.

You go to Cal, right? That's where my dad went. Lots of colours in the Bay Area, for sure...

A-Bob, Yale is a wonderful school, definitely. Come swing by Columbia, though...

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: June 30, 2012, 03:07:20 am »
Ignore

UK universities I am considering applying to.
Loughborough (Econ+pol minor BSc)
East Anglia (in Norwich) (PPE MA)(Pol+Econ BSc)
Royal Holloway University of London(Econ+pol minor BSc)
Aberystwyth(Econ+pol minor BSc)
Essex (Pol+Econ BA)
Would the like to post graduate with BSc Economics or an MBA
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:24:09 pm by freefair »Logged

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »
Ignore

Harvard is amazing Cheesy woo. Talked to a professor, sat in on a class. Didn't really like either of them but I loved the campus, it's location, the atmosphere, once again the residential housing system. I'll still apply early action to Yale for the fact that in my case I have a better shot there, but I'd prefer Harvard over it.

Tufts was also nice minus a giant hill I would not want to climb in the winter. The professors were awesome though and I really felt not only welcomed, but wanted. Had the best and longest conversations yet by far with two professors and an administrator, probably a combination of I'm getting a lot better at these interview/discussions/whatevers and that Tufts professors do really care.

I will be going to Columbia on Thursday! But so far I haven't successfully been able to schedule a meeting with a professor. It is the day after the 4th I believe though.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »
Ignore

You go to Cal, right? That's where my dad went. Lots of colours in the Bay Area, for sure...

A-Bob, Yale is a wonderful school, definitely. Come swing by Columbia, though...

Nah, I'm going to Maryland. It's just everyone else in my class who's going to Cal.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »
Ignore

Tufts was also nice minus a giant hill I would not want to climb in the winter. The professors were awesome though and I really felt not only welcomed, but wanted. Had the best and longest conversations yet by far with two professors and an administrator, probably a combination of I'm getting a lot better at these interview/discussions/whatevers and that Tufts professors do really care.

...and what I've been saying over and over again: the Ivies don't care about you, the schools that aren't Ivies do!  (And the state schools, which you have neglected to visit yet, care about you even more Wink)

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Brown, though.  I loved Brown.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 05, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
Ignore

Did not like Columbia, mostly because I just don't want to live in NYC. I've never actually been in the city until now but I knew coming in that I didn't like NYC. Not every city though, I still love London and Boston and D.C., just Columbia. And I had the weirdest sort of tour with a professor who I thought was just showing me to the walkway. It was just odd all around.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 06, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »
Ignore

This "choosing a university" business sounds much more fun for Americans than Canadians...

Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
Ignore

Trust me, it's not. And it seems like the process is even less pleasant for for these guys than it was for me five years ago.

Dentures, for instance, is something Medicaid recipients could live without, Astorino suggested in the interview.

When asked how someone without dentures could eat, Astorino flippantly replied with a laugh, “Soup is good.”
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 11, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »
Ignore

Georgetown is awesome, both the campus and surrounding area. I had a great experience with a dean and a professor, though my tour guide was meh (apparently tour guide students only stay for a week instead of a month or summer at GTU).

I liked GW even though I wasn't planning too since it is spread in the city and outside of Mt. Vernon doesn't have a real campus feel. I didn't like the student atmosphere completely, it seemed everyone had a set way of ideals and ways of doing things they weren't willing to compromise, but those are just a select few people I met.

UVa was pretty huge, largest campus I've visited along with Cornell. It might be too big for me, but I enjoyed the campus. The class I sat in on was kind of boring because it was pretty elementary on politics though it was only day 3 of the class and it seemed that not too many people were actual government majors.

I'm going to take a tour and have an interview at William & Mary tomorrow.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout