Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:36:12 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC, The Mikado)
| | |-+  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 33538 times)
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 05, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
Ignore

Did not like Columbia, mostly because I just don't want to live in NYC. I've never actually been in the city until now but I knew coming in that I didn't like NYC. Not every city though, I still love London and Boston and D.C., just Columbia. And I had the weirdest sort of tour with a professor who I thought was just showing me to the walkway. It was just odd all around.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 06, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »
Ignore

This "choosing a university" business sounds much more fun for Americans than Canadians...

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
Ignore

Trust me, it's not. And it seems like the process is even less pleasant for for these guys than it was for me five years ago.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 11, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »
Ignore

Georgetown is awesome, both the campus and surrounding area. I had a great experience with a dean and a professor, though my tour guide was meh (apparently tour guide students only stay for a week instead of a month or summer at GTU).

I liked GW even though I wasn't planning too since it is spread in the city and outside of Mt. Vernon doesn't have a real campus feel. I didn't like the student atmosphere completely, it seemed everyone had a set way of ideals and ways of doing things they weren't willing to compromise, but those are just a select few people I met.

UVa was pretty huge, largest campus I've visited along with Cornell. It might be too big for me, but I enjoyed the campus. The class I sat in on was kind of boring because it was pretty elementary on politics though it was only day 3 of the class and it seemed that not too many people were actual government majors.

I'm going to take a tour and have an interview at William & Mary tomorrow.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »
Ignore

Wow I think this is my first post in this thread. I'm going to start applying next summer (it'll be the summer going into junior year for me)

I've got a few schools on my list:

Coastal Carolina University (Conway, SC)
Rutgers University (Newark, NJ)
East Carolina Univeristy (Greenville, NC)
Akron University (Akron, OH)
West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV)

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 14, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »
Ignore

William & Mary was okay. It would be a fine school to go to if I didn't get into a lot of others, though it will still be tough out of state. Both UVa and WM have about a 33% acceptance rate, 2/3 have to be virginians but 2/3 who apply are out of state.

I did get an on campus interview (they don't do interviews off campus) and it went pretty well. I could have touched on more qualities and areas I'm involved with, but I pulled across the fact that I'm unique and bring something different to WM.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: 2.78

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2012, 05:25:34 pm »
Ignore

On the off chance anyone was wondering, my sister chose the smaller school with the more tailored program.

As for me, I just took the GRE and am looking to apply to econ PhD programs for next fall (my quantitative score on the GRE was a 790, which is pretty good for an econ doctorate program). It's my goal to get my apps done in August after summer quarter is over. I'm for sure applying to UW (probably the best school for me for non-academic reasons) and WSU as a last resort school.

Lately, I've been trying to come up with other schools to apply to beyond those in Washington state. UCLA and UCSD seem like fair targets, and I was thinking about applying to Stanford as a long shot school. Any suggestions from our resident economists?

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
oakvale
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »
Ignore

Trust me, it's not. And it seems like the process is even less pleasant for for these guys than it was for me five years ago.

Yeah, this seems pretty awful.

I'm transferring colleges (well, dropping out and starting another course, technically :facepalm:) , and if I were American I'd not only find that near impossible due to the ridiculous bureaucracy, I'd also literally not have been anywhere near able to afford to go to college in the first place, let alone have the luxury of changing track.

Good luck, all.

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.
I could only wish that I looked like Paul Ryan
GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »
Ignore

I'm transferring colleges (well, dropping out and starting another course, technically :facepalm:) , and if I were American I'd not only find that near impossible due to the ridiculous bureaucracy,

Hmm?  Yes and no.  You would find switching between programs ("changing majors") comically easy in the American system compared to yours if you didn't change schools.  Such a thing is routine here, and it's rare to find a student who hasn't done anything to their major at all over their years of undergrad.  Transferring is doable.  One of my best friends from high school transferred from UPenn to the University of Wisconsin without too much trouble, though of course since he's an engineer he has to stay an extra year at UW-Madison.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Lіef
Lief
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »
Ignore

Georgetown is awesome, both the campus and surrounding area. I had a great experience with a dean and a professor, though my tour guide was meh (apparently tour guide students only stay for a week instead of a month or summer at GTU).

I just graduated from Georgetown if you want to ask or PM me any questions. The campus and surrounding area are nice, though I think you'll quickly get sick of the Georgetown neighborhood. Luckily the rest of DC is pretty cool.

RIP opebo
RIP the jfmtsc
RIP joshgreen
RIP King

Don't get me wrong, I love variety, and get a kick out of all these odors.
oakvale
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »
Ignore

I'm transferring colleges (well, dropping out and starting another course, technically :facepalm:) , and if I were American I'd not only find that near impossible due to the ridiculous bureaucracy,

Hmm?  Yes and no.  You would find switching between programs ("changing majors") comically easy in the American system compared to yours if you didn't change schools.  Such a thing is routine here, and it's rare to find a student who hasn't done anything to their major at all over their years of undergrad.  Transferring is doable.  One of my best friends from high school transferred from UPenn to the University of Wisconsin without too much trouble, though of course since he's an engineer he has to stay an extra year at UW-Madison.

Yeah, actually, that part of my post was badly thought-out - I actually think the US system in that regard is the right way to do it - where, unless I'm mistaken, students don't declare their majors for a couple of years. That makes more sense to me than expecting 18-year-olds to know what they want to do with their lives. Tongue

I do feel fairly strongly about the second part of my post, though - although what seems to be the case in the US is that, since I couldn't afford to go to college, I wouldn't not go, but would instead rack up obscene amounts of debt and go anyway.

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.
I could only wish that I looked like Paul Ryan
GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »
Ignore

I'll throw it out there for some peoples' happiness, I got a mailing from University of Maryland saying I should apply.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »
Ignore

I'll throw it out there for some peoples' happiness, I got a mailing from University of Maryland saying I should apply.

As you should! Grin

C'mon, take a look, it can't hurt!  Xahar and I will likely be able to pitch it much more effectively once we actually get there this fall.  You should probably talk to him more than me- as a grad student, I'll be in a magical other world (full of brains and phonemes and fun stuff like that), but Xahar will actually, like, be living in the dorms, and stuff.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:24 am »
Ignore

Phonemes!

Boris transferred from Wisconsin to Illinois, as I recall. It's not impossible or anything. The price issue is a much bigger deal; you have to be reasonably rich to survive.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »
Ignore

I just graduated from Georgetown if you want to ask or PM me any questions. The campus and surrounding area are nice, though I think you'll quickly get sick of the Georgetown neighborhood. Luckily the rest of DC is pretty cool.

Thanks! I heard a rumor they are going to turn all the student off campus housing into faculty housing because the Georgetown residents are complaining that students are housing I guess. Well anyway, they have power considering there's no metro stop in Georgetown because of them.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 23, 2012, 12:04:15 am »
Ignore

Future Material Science & Engineering major here!(got accepted a couple weeks ago).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 23, 2012, 02:03:52 am »
Ignore

Obviously I'm a few months late, but is anyone going to UCLA?

Endorsements: Sen: Broun (GA), Bevin (KY), Wolf (KS), McDaniel (MS), Brannon (NC), Bright (SC)
House: Amash (MI), Massie (KY), Duncan (TN), McClintock (CA), Sanford (SC), Jones (NC), Huelskamp (KS), Loudermilk (GA), Emmer (MN), Richardson (ME), Raths (CA), DeMaio (CA), Dietzel (LA), Lonegan (NJ), Didier (WA), Mooney (WV), Mathis (AL)
Gov: LePage (ME), Coleman (AR), Melvin (AZ), Donnelly (CA)
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »
Ignore

The list is being cut still.

Duke
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
Brown
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
UVa
William and Mary
Michigan
Denver
American
Cornell
Hamilton

Bolds are up on the cutting block.

Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:35 am »
Ignore

Don't cut UVA!  It has one of the best Politics Departments in the country; definitely better than William and Mary or American!

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:04 am »
Ignore

Instead of cutting Michigan you should add a "State" to the end!

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 01, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
Ignore

Don't cut UVA!  It has one of the best Politics Departments in the country; definitely better than William and Mary or American!

I know it is better than William and Mary, but I'm not sure if I like such a huge campus. Though after a year I'd probably be extremely bored at WM...

American is just way easier to get into since the admissions rate is like 41% and I calculated out of state for UVa and it is like 23% or something. Why does it seem like everyone but Virginians want to go to these Virginian schools? haha

I'm probably going to have to choose between Michigan and UVa. Michigan is larger, so that's a negative. They'd both be in battleground states which would be fun. Michigan has a really good PS department as well though, but I may be thinking more grad than undergrad.

Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 03, 2012, 11:56:24 pm »
Ignore

So, this week, I'll be in Southern California, interviewing at Occidental, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, and USC. If all goes according to plan, that is. My trip to the East Coast, unfortunately, has been postponed until the fall...

My list, as of now, is as follows:

Claremont McKenna
George Washington
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
Occidental
Pomona
Princeton
Reed
Stanford
Swarthmore
University of Chicago
University of Southern California

The list is being cut still.

Duke
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
Brown
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
UVa
William and Mary
Michigan
Denver
American
Cornell
Hamilton

Bolds are up on the cutting block.

Don't cut Princeton. Awesome politics department and great program in political history. Also, Robert George is the man.

I wasn't aware you loved conservative Christians. Tongue

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 04, 2012, 08:26:30 am »
Ignore

So, this week, I'll be in Southern California, interviewing at Occidental, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, and USC. If all goes according to plan, that is. My trip to the East Coast, unfortunately, has been postponed until the fall...

My list, as of now, is as follows:

Claremont McKenna
George Washington
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
Occidental
Pomona
Princeton
Reed
Stanford
Swarthmore
University of Chicago
University of Southern California

Like every Washington school but Maryland?  Xahar and I cry all the tears.

I loved Swarthmore!  (And I liked Pomona enough to apply there.)  Ridiculously debt-inducing, though.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: August 04, 2012, 10:00:58 am »
Ignore

Man, you guys make me feel dumb.  My list consists of UGA, Georgia State, and the lesser Georgia public schools I'd rather not think about.

Goodbye
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 04, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
Ignore

Man, you guys make me feel dumb.  My list consists of UGA, Georgia State, and the lesser Georgia public schools I'd rather not think about.

George State I've heard is a good school. Are you looking at Georgia Tech? My sister's friend is the only person I knew who went to a Georgia school, he's crazy brilliant. He went for a degree with something related to physics and astronomy but is now in a Ph. D. program at Johns Hopkins...for poetry.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout