Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:44:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87353 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: August 07, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »

Ontario has an online application system called OUAC where you pay one fee which allows you online, free applications to 3 Ontario unis. I was a bit on the lazy side and I didn't feel like going out of town, so I only applied to 3 unis. If I had wanted to apply out of province, I would have needed to do it myself and pay extra (I also would have needed to pay extra to apply to 4+ unis in ON).

So... I applied to the 2 in Ottawa and Queens in Kingston (just as a necessary third choice)
Carleton University: accepted with full scholarship+rez advantages within days
University of Ottawa: accepted with full scholarship+rez advantages a few days later
Queen's University: accepted in late March but no scholarship iirc

My first preference had been Carleton because uOttawa requires 2 mandatory ass-boring English courses which I could be dispensed of based on IB results. So I took a chance and accepted Ottawa over Carleton, which was a Very Good Choice.

Carleton called me likes 5 times between January and May to basically beg me to accept. Ottawa called me a few times, Queen's iirc never called.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »

What's the point of majoring in history? It's interesting, but what does that get you besides teaching history in high school where nobody gives a sh**t or being a history prof?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »

What's the point of majoring in history? It's interesting, but what does that get you besides teaching history in high school where nobody gives a sh**t or being a history prof?

Historical perspective is a useful thing to have even a basic understanding of.

Edit: it's especially useful as a means of, well, dissent. That's why so many of the craft are lefties.

Of course, of course. But to the point of majoring in it?

If you actually want to become a history teacher, yeah it's good, but I don't want to become a history teacher.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

Apply to uOttawa, noobs.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.

Carleton as in Carleton U, where the K stands for quality or...?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

"UNESCO sponsors the International Baccalaureate program, which seeks to indoctrinate US primary and secondary school students through its ``universal curriculum'' for teaching global citizenship, peace studies and equality of world cultures. This program, started in Europe, is infiltrating the American school system."

-Hon. Ron Paul (BNP-TX)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

The German university system doesn't really place significant value on one university over another. Although there are rankings these days and certain universities (e.g. Munich) tend to be at the top usually, most universities in the country are thought to be relatively comparable, and I would say that which one you attended is not very important concerning future job opportunities.

Access to the universities (to simplify a bit...there are some exceptions and "personal interviews" are used in certain circumstances to make borderline determinations) is relatively uniform.

Slightly simplified, there are "access restricted" and "non access restricted" subjects. Each university determines themselves how they want to organize their programs. (Medicine, Dentistry and one or two others are restricted at federal level rather than at university level).

If a subject is not restricted (increasingly seldom with increasing student numbers, budget cuts, etc.), you just state you are going to study that subject at that university. Prove you have health insurance, show ID, provide a copy of your Abitur, and you're all set.

If a subject IS restricted, almost always, "applicants" are admitted to the programs ENTIRELY based on their average Abitur grade. They'll have x slots available, and starting at the top grade, x people will be admitted in the order of their GPAs.

That's pretty much it, I've never heard of anything remotely similar to what people in this thread have described.

Yeah, what Franzl described is what I thought was normal standard-fare procedures, not all the horror this thread describes.

In Ontario, I paid a fee to gain access to an online system called OUAC where I could apply to three universities in Ontario directly through a single online interface, which included copies of my grades (updated throughout the rest of the year) and the bullsh**t they need. If I had wanted to apply to a uni outside the province I think I would have needed to do the stuff myself but I don't recall all this horror. Most programs had pre-requisite HS classes - normally an English university-level and often a math or science university-level. The normal admission average is about 75%, depending on the program and school.

Karleton and OttawaU accepted me within days of sending in my admission request, with scholarship and advance dibs on rez if I wanted. Queens responded a month or two later (their standards are apparently tougher) but they didn't bribe me and I would have needed to be bribed to go live in Kingston anyhow (it's a nice city, but c'mon). Karleton called me like 5 times before the deadline for my answer to all universities (in May iirc) to entice me to come or whatever, and I think Ottawa might have too. I quickly decided on Ottawa anyways, even though I was more familiar with Carleton.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies