Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:45:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87326 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: December 17, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »

Cornell is one of my top choices for law school, so hopefully Ithaca is less terrible than it's being made out to be here... I kind of like cold, gloomy weather though, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Or maybe I'll get into Columbia and get to live in NYC instead.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

still waiting on my goddamn december LSAT score. Angry
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »

I had thought that the deadline for Occidental was on the 15th, so I had to do their five essays after finding out this afternoon that the deadline is today. Today was also the George Washington deadline, and I wasn't seized with inspiration for one of the essays until about 90 minutes ago. I'm happy with how it turned out, though, so that's nice.

You and my younger brother are applying to the same schools apparently.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »

Don't go to college to study political science. It's a waste of money unless you want to go to law school, which is a crap shoot these days.

I plan to go to Law school, and hopefully become a lobbyist. (The Law degree would help if my plans fall apart)

Of course things can always change.

Don't go to law school if you don't want to become a lawyer. It's not worth it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

Finally finished the last of my law school apps. Now we wait.

In the end I did Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke, UVA, UPenn, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, Texas, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Vanderbilt. Thank the lord for fee waivers.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »

Finally finished the last of my law school apps. Now we wait.

In the end I did Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Duke, UVA, UPenn, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, Texas, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Vanderbilt. Thank the lord for fee waivers.

What was your LSAT score (obviously high if that's your repertoire, no)?

Yeah, 174. I did about 30-practice tests worth of questions in 2 months leading up to the test.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »

College confidential basically taught me how to apply to college, back in the day.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »

Well my avatar is going to be changed to Oregon next year...

That's my round about way of saying I got into Reed!

Congrats! My brother applied to Reed, maybe you two will be classmates.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »

Got into NYU!!! Definitely going to law school next year then.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »

How much is a PBR in NYC? $8? That's what's really important.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

Jesus, $1.50?! We were drinking tallboys for $4 last night and I thought that was a good deal.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »

I am getting mad tired of getting spammed out by law school fee waivers

^^^^^^^^^^^^ seriously
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

Decided not to apply to Yale, because it was a longshot anyway, the essay was annoying and difficult, and I don't really want to live in New Haven for three years.

So it's either NYU or Columbia (or Harvard if they decide to accept me) or I guess UPenn if they give me literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Last night I dreamt that Herman Cain sent me a handwritten letter congratulating me on my acceptance into law school.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »

One more month. Most of my senior friends are on edge. When I talk to them about college, they don't want to think about it. Any similar thoughts, seniors?

Can I go to grad law school yet?

Basically. This undergrad stuff sucks and I don't want to do any more of it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »

I have now been waitlisted by the University of Chicago for the second time in four years, the bastards.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »

I have now been waitlisted by the University of Chicago for the second time in four years, the bastards.

Color me shocked; UChicago definitely has more hipsters per capita than any school in America.

Isn't the UChicago stereotype that it's full of hard-working nerds?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »

Are you going to accept a spot on the list?

I'm automatically placed on it but there's not much chance to get off unless I actively grovel at their feet for the next few months. And I wouldn't have picked Chicago over Columbia anyway unless they gave me a lot of money, which they're obviously not if they're waitlisting me. So beyond being kind of annoyed it's not really a big deal.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »

I walked around NYU today. Such a cool neighborhood. So many cuties. So many awesome-looking restaurants. Still probably going to Columbia though.

My brother got waitlisted from Georgetown today, which is weird because he got rejected by George Washington. If he doesn't get off the waitlist he's either going to UT Austin or Boston College, though if I were him I would pick UT.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

Tweed's last two posts are very on point.

What's the big difference between Columbia Law and NYU Law anyway? They both have excellent placement, and seem to be on the same tier. Why not go to the school with the hotter girls?

Columbia has better job placement (especially outside of New York, but generally within the city as well) and is more prestigious/well-known. And living in Morningside Heights is probably $5000-6000 cheaper per year, which isn't an insignificant amount of money.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

I also have heard that it is somewhat easier to get in out-of-state, as the school is inflated with Texans. Would you happen to know if that's true?

Wouldn't know about out of state chances, but yes, the school is full of Texans.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

Georgetown is awesome, both the campus and surrounding area. I had a great experience with a dean and a professor, though my tour guide was meh (apparently tour guide students only stay for a week instead of a month or summer at GTU).

I just graduated from Georgetown if you want to ask or PM me any questions. The campus and surrounding area are nice, though I think you'll quickly get sick of the Georgetown neighborhood. Luckily the rest of DC is pretty cool.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »

Have they branded you yet? Or do they only do that in black fraternities?

One time over the summer while I was working for school, they gave people working over the summer free on campus housing, so I lived in an apartment with three other guys I had never met. One of them was an African-American. One night, like a Wednesday or something, I was in my room watching TV on my laptop in bed. When I had come home I saw that my black roommate and his friends were hanging out in the living room, as they were wont to do, so I just went to my room. While watching TV I heard some loud noises in the kitchen and it smelled like they were cooking something, but didn't care to investigate. The next morning I wake up to go to work and walk into the kitchen, and it's a mess, with flour everywhere, metal wires bent into shapes, and the stove elements (I think that's what they're called?) were all taken off. Turned out he and his fraternity buddies had branded themselves that night while I was watching TV in my room.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:35 PM »

The law school application process, on the other hand, is fantastic. Basically all the schools care about is your GPA and your LSAT, the applications are basically all identical, and it's very easy to confidently predict which schools will accept you and which will reject you. Plus studying for the LSAT is fun.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies