Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:26:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87293 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »

Just our of interest: How much time and effort goes into these university applications in the U.S.? It seems incredibly difficult and annoying, from what I've been reading in this thread.

Yeah, I've been reading through this thread with an increasing sense of horror. This whole process seems like a pretty miserable experience.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »

Trust me, it's not. And it seems like the process is even less pleasant for for these guys than it was for me five years ago.

Yeah, this seems pretty awful.

I'm transferring colleges (well, dropping out and starting another course, technically :facepalm:) , and if I were American I'd not only find that near impossible due to the ridiculous bureaucracy, I'd also literally not have been anywhere near able to afford to go to college in the first place, let alone have the luxury of changing track.

Good luck, all.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »

I'm transferring colleges (well, dropping out and starting another course, technically :facepalm:) , and if I were American I'd not only find that near impossible due to the ridiculous bureaucracy,

Hmm?  Yes and no.  You would find switching between programs ("changing majors") comically easy in the American system compared to yours if you didn't change schools.  Such a thing is routine here, and it's rare to find a student who hasn't done anything to their major at all over their years of undergrad.  Transferring is doable.  One of my best friends from high school transferred from UPenn to the University of Wisconsin without too much trouble, though of course since he's an engineer he has to stay an extra year at UW-Madison.

Yeah, actually, that part of my post was badly thought-out - I actually think the US system in that regard is the right way to do it - where, unless I'm mistaken, students don't declare their majors for a couple of years. That makes more sense to me than expecting 18-year-olds to know what they want to do with their lives. Tongue

I do feel fairly strongly about the second part of my post, though - although what seems to be the case in the US is that, since I couldn't afford to go to college, I wouldn't not go, but would instead rack up obscene amounts of debt and go anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies