The most developed Latin American country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:21:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The most developed Latin American country
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which nation do you consider to be the most developed in Latin America?
Chile

Argentina

Uruguay

Mexico

Brazil

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: The most developed Latin American country  (Read 8355 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »

I would say Chile. It has basically eradicated extreme poverty, has maintained political and economic stability, and has outpaced Latin America in its economic growth.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

Glancing at development indicators, I'd say Argentina; Chile has a very slightly higher HDI but Argentina has a significantly better Gini coefficient.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

Brazil has more votes than Mexico? What is this I don't even...

I'd say Uruguay but I'm pretty ignorant of the history and current status of Mercosur nations.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »

I answered Argentina.

There's an old saying.  Brazil has the potential to be a great power, and it always will.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »

Chile, but with Uruguay a strong second. Chile takes it die to having a major, westernish commercial centre in Santiago, which Uruguay lacks. Montevideo is a great city, but it's an Adelaide or Sacramento rather than a Stockholm or Cairo.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

I answered Argentina.

There's an old saying.  Brazil has the potential to be a great power, and it always will.

No, the saying is 'Brazil is the country of the future' which was coined a long time ago. Then the joke became 'Brazil is the country of the future, and always will be'
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »

France
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »

I would say Chile. It has basically eradicated extreme poverty, has maintained political and economic stability, and has outpaced Latin America in its economic growth.
That's weird. It was not what I've saw there. Local common people use to consider such claims as laughable propaganda. They reported me as being pretty difficult to get access to health and high level education, even for middle class. I've noticed the same poorness of any other latin-american country on their city outskirts. Their economy lays heavily on the state controlled copper commodities and they were the last southern cone country to be a stable democracy. Their good indicators are more a heritage of early and mid XXth century than later developments, as for Argentina and Uruguay.
They're a very nice people, indeed, and the country is f**king beautiful.
Many people gets impressed by Santiago's business downtown, with it's international class architecture, but, for my own professional taste, I rather Montevideo's and Buenos Ayres' heritage style. As for Montevideo's urbanism being way more charming. If it wasn't for northern Uruguay, there would be no doubt, but nevertheless I stick with them. At least, their poverty is organized.
No, the saying is 'Brazil is the country of the future' which was coined a long time ago. Then the joke became 'Brazil is the country of the future, and always will be'
That joke is an inside job. Well, unless PSDB and DEM return to power, I think we can finally stop being the country of the future.  Smiley And maybe in 15, 20 years, I can vote for my own country.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »

That's weird. It was not what I've saw there. Local common people use to consider such claims as laughable propaganda. They reported me as being pretty difficult to get access to health and high level education, even for middle class. I've noticed the same poorness of any other latin-american country on their city outskirts. Their economy lays heavily on the state controlled copper commodities and they were the last southern cone country to be a stable democracy. Their good indicators are more a heritage of early and mid XXth century than later developments, as for Argentina and Uruguay.
They're a very nice people, indeed, and the country is f**king beautiful.
Many people gets impressed by Santiago's business downtown, with it's international class architecture, but, for my own professional taste, I rather Montevideo's and Buenos Ayres' heritage style. As for Montevideo's urbanism being way more charming. If it wasn't for northern Uruguay, there would be no doubt, but nevertheless I stick with them. At least, their poverty is organized.
That joke is an inside job. Well, unless PSDB and DEM return to power, I think we can finally stop being the country of the future.  Smiley And maybe in 15, 20 years, I can vote for my own country.

I thought Chile was known for having the longest periods of democracy in Latin America. Before 1973, there had been a continuous Republic there since 1925, and before a brief coup in the 1920's, there was another democratic period that went back to a couple of years after independence.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »

?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »

Chile, but with Uruguay a strong second. Chile takes it die to having a major, westernish commercial centre in Santiago, which Uruguay lacks. Montevideo is a great city, but it's an Adelaide or Sacramento rather than a Stockholm or Cairo.

Is Adelaide really as provincial as Sacramento? Interesting.

I thought Chile was known for having the longest periods of democracy in Latin America. Before 1973, there had been a continuous Republic there since 1925, and before a brief coup in the 1920's, there was another democratic period that went back to a couple of years after independence.

What democracy existed in Chile was rather illiberal. In 1891 there was a civil war between the army and navy.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:51:22 AM »

Adelaide is quite possibly the most boring city of all time based off of what I've read about it.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

Probably Chile.  Regardless, it's nice to see Latin American countries putting up some real growth.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »

Well, that's original.

I've been waiting for the obvious joke, but I'll make it:

The United States. ha ha.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »

No love for Costa Rica? Sad
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

It's got some pretty bad pockets of poverty (the northern section of the country and much of the Caribbean side). Though on that note I think Panama could make it on this list in the next 5-10 years, it's growing incredibly fast.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:57 PM »

Well, that's original.

I've been waiting for the obvious joke, but I'll make it:

The United States. ha ha.

In New Mexico, you'd just get nodding agreement.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 04:05:16 AM »

Roll Eyes
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »

Glancing at development indicators, I'd say Argentina; Chile has a very slightly higher HDI but Argentina has a significantly better Gini coefficient.

I vote for Chile because it has better institutions and rule of law, plus less corruption and fewer economic crises.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »

Part of France is in Latin America (French Guiana, which is an integral part of the French state rather than a dependency like Puerto Rico). Of course, it's still a silly answer as French Guiana itself is not very developed at all.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »

It's definitely the most developed nation in Central America, and I believe has the longest continuous democracy in Latin America, but is not as major a power economically as say Argentina, Brazil, or Chile.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies