England riots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:02:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  England riots
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: England riots  (Read 13964 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »

...Instead of British people sipping tea and being friendly...

Dude, if you think being brained by a yob hurts, you should experience how the middle and upper classes would snub your sorry ass.  Nobody in England is 'friendly'.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »

Anyone who knows anything knows that any police officer anywhere in Europe isn't gonna be trigger happy,

How comes you are so sure about this?

Europe has a history of being too liberal for it's own good.

I was explaining to a coworker the other day about how different Britain is than what many Americans see it as. Instead of British people sipping tea and being friendly, the country is so radicalized and full of extremists that it has lost whatever culture it possessed in the decades following World War II. Americans look at Winston Churchill as a heroic figure. They booted him out after the war. Americans look at Margaret Thatcher as a heroic figure. Many in her own land loath her and her legacy. It's almost as if Barack Obama would make a better European leader and people like Churchill, Thatcher and Blair would make better American leaders. Indeed, I know many British people dislike the fact that Tony Blair acted more like a "President" than a Prime Minister. Maybe it's fear. After all, Europe has had a brutal history. Berlin, Warsaw, Paris, London...all of them and more were at one time or another, in ruins. Besides 1812, the Civil War, and September 11, 2001, Americans haven't had that kind of brutality in our own land, and perhaps this should give pause to criticism of Europeans.

What I can't grasp for the life of me is the hypocrisy of them to riot and cause disorder after a criminal was taken off the streets.

TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »

Yet others blame it on "gangsta rap and culture"... um... 1993 much?

"I once interviewed a boy who said 'just because I like the music doesn't mean I agree with the lyrics', which is true," says Prof FitzGerald. "But it may be a factor when it comes to those who may be particularly susceptible."

Must be the "underclass" he's referring to that's "particularly susceptible".

Yeah, pretty funny.  A bit of a strange aside, but I used to DJ, and I played a lot of the music that these rioters probably listened to (grime).

I guess I'm not particularly susceptible, since I haven't yet burned down my office.

What can I say?  I don't like the poors but I do like their music.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »

By the looks of it, Id say this is the same type of rioting here on the other side of the Atlantic---over sensitive neighborhood riots! Its a smaller version of Rodney King I guess.

Indeed. They said it was to begin as a "peaceful protest". Oddly enough, even liberals I know told me last night they are "fed up" with the rioters.

Anyone who knows anything knows that any police officer anywhere in Europe isn't gonna be trigger happy, and it was probably a justified shooting. Of course, if race shouldn't matter...why does it matter here?

These rioters are hypocrites and cowards all the way.

London has lost so much of it's culture, it's not what it used to be. The radicalization of London over the last two decades has indeed ended whatever culture people because accustomed to associating London with.

Please stop making a fool of yourself.

Oh wait, it's Naso. Nevermind, carry on.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »

These riots are getting to be a bit too much. I hope the British police crack down hard on them.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

I also loved some of the official responses as to why the riots occurred.. like

"a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline - tough love - which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live".

... just wow.

"I once interviewed a boy who said 'just because I like the music doesn't mean I agree with the lyrics', which is true," says Prof FitzGerald. "But it may be a factor when it comes to those who may be particularly susceptible."

There was also some commentator saying it was the result of a lack of masculine role models' in young peoples' lives Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »

I also loved some of the official responses as to why the riots occurred.. like

"a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline - tough love - which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live".

... just wow.

There was also some commentator saying it was the result of a lack of masculine role models' in young peoples' lives Roll Eyes
a million solutions looking for a problem.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

(smug)May be speaking too soon, but very interesting to notice what cities/areas didn't riot(/smug)

They'd riot in Scotland but they're too lazy and fat.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »

Anyone who knows anything knows that any police officer anywhere in Europe isn't gonna be trigger happy,

How comes you are so sure about this?

Europe has a history of being too liberal for it's own good.

I was explaining to a coworker the other day about how different Britain is than what many Americans see it as. Instead of British people sipping tea and being friendly, the country is so radicalized and full of extremists that it has lost whatever culture it possessed in the decades following World War II. Americans look at Winston Churchill as a heroic figure. They booted him out after the war. Americans look at Margaret Thatcher as a heroic figure. Many in her own land loath her and her legacy. It's almost as if Barack Obama would make a better European leader and people like Churchill, Thatcher and Blair would make better American leaders. Indeed, I know many British people dislike the fact that Tony Blair acted more like a "President" than a Prime Minister. Maybe it's fear. After all, Europe has had a brutal history. Berlin, Warsaw, Paris, London...all of them and more were at one time or another, in ruins. Besides 1812, the Civil War, and September 11, 2001, Americans haven't had that kind of brutality in our own land, and perhaps this should give pause to criticism of Europeans.

What I can't grasp for the life of me is the hypocrisy of them to riot and cause disorder after a criminal was taken off the streets.

Do you actually know anything about Britain?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 02:28:36 PM by phk »

Yesterday, news agencies all over the world carried stories of Sikhs in Southall standing guard outside of Southall Gurdwaras to protect them from the rioters who had attacked neighboring wealthy Ealing the day before. It was a feel good story with great visual appeal, captured nicely by this picture.

First, the story of community self-defense is much larger than just Sikhs or Southall. All residents of Southall worked together, across religious lines, to guard each others’ places of worship (Gurdwaras, Mosques, Mandirs) and businesses. Nor was Southall the only place where this happened. Bangladeshis mobilized in Whitechapel, Brick Lane, and Bethnal Green; three desi men were killed while defending their neighborhood in Birmingham.

When the police issue warnings against “vigilantism” to discourage community self-defense groups, it’s likely falling on deaf ears. Members of the community will work with the police, but they’re not about to stand down and trust the police to protect them.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

http://tribune.com.pk/story/228461/underclass-dismissed/

It should have been universally condemned and not used, as the former mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, did, as an opportunity for cheap political point scoring. He described the riots as a ‘revolt’ against the government’s cuts in public services. This was baloney and mischief-making. If this was about cuts, why target local businesses, buses and services?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 03:16:23 PM by Refudiate »

http://tribune.com.pk/story/228461/underclass-dismissed/

It should have been universally condemned and not used, as the former mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, did, as an opportunity for cheap political point scoring. He described the riots as a ‘revolt’ against the government’s cuts in public services. This was baloney and mischief-making. If this was about cuts, why target local businesses, buses and services?

I wouldn't expect different from Ken. He was banging on about he has home so much quicker from his holiday on 7/7 too. This is exactly why he shouldn't have been re-selected as the nominee.

But, let's not forget that Boris did his own bit of politicking with his embarrassing broom photo-op, which backfired when he got heckled.

Both are horrendously shallow individuals.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »

I don't disagree, but all of the credible alternatives ended up backing him for various reasons. Lammy would have been good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »

How long until Naso proposes that the rioters should have a talk with Archie Bunker?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »

Those passing through London's courtrooms... have included a teaching assistant, a lifeguard, a postman, a chef, a charity worker, a millionaire's daughter and an 11-year-old boy, newspapers reported."

....yeah?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/08/11/ukriots.accused/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

... the rioters .... had attacked neighboring wealthy Ealing the day before.

Well it is very encouraging to hear that!
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »

I don't disagree, but all of the credible alternatives ended up backing him for various reasons. Lammy would have been good.

I would've voted for Oona if I lived in London.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/08/its-pattern-london-rioters-are-leaving-bookstores-untouched/41142/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:54 AM »

How long until Naso proposes that the rioters should have a talk with Archie Bunker?

What England really needs is a John Mellancamp type to play patriotic songs that warm their cold British hearts.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2011, 05:15:42 AM »

What England really needs is a John Mellancamp type to play patriotic songs that warm their cold British hearts.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't know that John Mellencamp is a labor militant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/08/the-10-most-stupid-things-said-about-the-uk-riots/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »

Nothing from Naso in there?  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14510329

sigh
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »

Piece on Sunday paper circulations:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/12/sunday-tabloids-news-of-the-world-abc
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies