Opinion of opebo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of opebo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of opebo  (Read 3616 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 03:23:03 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=120482.0
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »

Quite amusing, and a beacon of hope for people who have no recognizable talents or skills, yet would like to live a comfortable life.

Haha, yes!  Precisely so!  Every day I am amazed that I have not starved to death at some point along the way.  Though of course that probably will happen yet.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »

So F.F., obviously, right?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »

Right!  Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »

Things like that (and your characterization of honest labour as humiliating) are why I can't vote FF despite agreeing with you on a number of other issues.

You're so omoshiroi, opebo-chan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »

Things like that (and your characterization of honest labour as humiliating) are why I can't vote FF despite agreeing with you on a number of other issues.

Well I thank you very much and applaud your use of the Nipponese Tongue (though in Romanized version so a bit of a cheat).  You know that reminds me of a story about a Nipponese Tongue.. but I digress..

How can one characterize labour in any other fashion in our capitalist system, Nathan?  Don't get me wrong, if a man in wealth or on the dole, creates, say, a charming garden through his the efforts of his own green thumbs, then we may say 'that labor was honest, valuable, and worthy of respect'.  But if one participates in the market economy, one is an abject slave (or conversely a kind of vampire), and there is nothing to commend there.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »

Well I thank you very much and applaud your use of the Nipponese Tongue (though in Romanized version so a bit of a cheat).  You know that reminds me of a story about a Nipponese Tongue.. but I digress..

オペボちんは本当に面白いですね。

Better?

I'm actually a Japanese literature major, but I'm used to writing these things out longhand (very traditional professor), so it took me a while to get the keyboard to input it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Okay, that makes more sense. I guess I'm saying is that labour needn't be humiliation, it's just what the system makes of it (which tends, at least in a mechanized post-industrial economy, to be fairly soul-crushing as it stands; you're right about that). There is certainly something to be said for making people get up and do sh**t, but you'll get no argument from me that the way we go about it is far from ideal.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2011, 03:11:51 PM by The Pauper of the Surf and the Jester of Tortuga »

オペボちんは本当に面白いですね。

Better?

I'm actually a Japanese literature major, but I'm used to writing these things out longhand (very traditional professor), so it took me a while to get the keyboard to input it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Okay, that makes more sense. I guess I'm saying is that labour needn't be humiliation, it's just what the system makes of it (which tends, at least in a mechanized post-industrial economy, to be fairly soul-crushing as it stands; you're right about that). There is certainly something to be said for making people get up and do sh**t, but you'll get no argument from me that the way we go about it is far from ideal.

You think the kind of work people do now is more soul-crushing than what they did in the nineteenth century? No one else could believe such nonsense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

Just because it's less "soul-crushing" (the proper term is "alienation" or Entfremdung folks) than it was when we worked in factories for 14 hours a day doesn't mean it is no longer "soul-crushing."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 01:45:05 AM »

Ah, I see Lief got to alienation before I did. It's an idea that's fascinated me for a long time; it seems to me that the goal of a socioeconomic system ought to be to minimize alienation.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »

Just because it's less "soul-crushing" (the proper term is "alienation" or Entfremdung folks) than it was when we worked in factories for 14 hours a day doesn't mean it is no longer "soul-crushing."

Well, I'm familiar from before with Gustaf's tendency to assume that any criticism of capitalism is approbation of earlier systems, but thanks for putting it more succinctly than I could.

Also, I knew the word 'alienation' but it had slipped my mind. So thanks for that too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies