How long until riots begin in the U.S.? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:04:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How long until riots begin in the U.S.? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Imminently

Only if things get really bad.

Lulz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: How long until riots begin in the U.S.?  (Read 6991 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

I think they will happen eventually, but I don't think they will right now.  But take into account that the Millennial generation is exceptionally hive minded... so once it starts, it will blow up quickly.  And you won't have the vehement opposition from their peers like back in the 60s.  You'll see people more likely to join in or at least sympathize with rioters, or at the very least, not condemn the point of the action.

To be honest, I sort of hope massive protests begin.  I don't want violence... but enough people in the streets protesting to get peoples attention. 

As I've already said elsewhere... when the next round of protests begin, it won't be crusty old guys in tri-cornered hats bitching about taxes.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »

If America is anywhere close to being what I hope it is, sooner rather than later. But more needs to be done than that. Our government has been sticking both middle fingers at us and laughing for far too long. Our country is an embarrassment. I also hope you guys are right in that it's apolitical. The very last thing anyone in Washington needs is a side to unequivocally take at the expense of reason. What I'm most sick of is a President that I have a feeling agrees with most of us and yet bites his tongue and plays the game anyway. I can't decide whether he'd actually grow some balls if he's reelected or if he really is just a career campaigner. Something's gotta give, regardless. Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Essentially, it needs to happen and it needs to be big.
I also get this feeling that Obama does agree with "us" and he's probably frustrated with himself for f**king up so grandly.  But I don't foresee a change.  He's not playing the game.  The game is playing him.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »

People will riot over their declining stock portfolios? People will riot over the prospect that Medicare benefits will be cut?  Over what? 
They will riot over the fact that you have more than them and that you think that's just fine.  So, in the absence of the government taking from you and giving it to them, they will just go ahead and take it from you themselves.

Never underestimate the danger of an adolescent with nothing to lose.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »

Neither riots, nor revolution.  It's a realignment.   Welcome to 1979!
lol...

More like 1929.

And considering who the GOP has up for offer... well, Reagan would be a marked improvement.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Jumping in at the fourth page without reading the entire thread....

Whenever austerity to comes to America and a large segment of the population moves from being disenchanted to openly hostile because they aren't getting a job, a place to live or a steady supply of essentials (food, water, basic consumables).

If an army marches on its stomach, that's doubly true for a population. People won't riot over their 401Ks, they'll riot went the rule law is widely disrespected from the top to the bottom of a society (it already is in many ways), add to this the magic ingredient of hunger and then we get civil unrest.
If the Teabaggers get into office, they'll be going after food stamps.  How dare people have food on their tables!  If they just had decided not to be poor and to find all those magical jobs that are just a little too elusive... then they'd be able to eat with their own money!

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies