MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute)  (Read 9789 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 11, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »

A few thoughts, if I may:

I've always thought the mention of an exception for "incest" is odd. If we are talking about cases of forcible incest, or a family member having sex with a child, that would be covered under rape. If you are concerned about some sort of genetic problem, incest is not at all a good proxy for that - (and if it's consensual incest, at least the case of a genetic problem is preventable). An exception for severe genetic abnormalities that either make life outside the womb impossible or involve painful debilitating conditions would be a reasonable exception to make, though it would probably have to be extended for the majority of the pregnancy since these things aren't often caught early on.

There are a few other things you might consider to help this withstand a possible referendum to overturn it. One is to state that this act does not prohibit emergency contraception or other birth control, since it is sometimes claimed that these are abortificients. I don't think those claims are persuasive, but they exist. A good way might be to just say broadly that any drug or procedure that uninentionally causes an abortion cannot be prosecuted under the act.

Then there's the issue of how to go about prosecuting this, or whether to make it a criminal issue at all. Even as someone passionately pro-life, I'd rather not send people to prison over this, or risk driving a lot of abortions underground. Try to consider other possibilities. Maybe institute a significant tax on abortions and give the money to abortion prevention. Anyway, just my 2c.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »

Just a thought to ponder: Do the Assemblymen believe a fetus is a life?  If so, how does rape justify the taking of a life?  If not, then it is my opinion that we have no right to restrict abortions.  I've never understood that concession by the pro-life community.
The reason for the exception is that it means making the woman carry the pregnancy in a case where she didn't consent to the act that made her pregnant in the first place. That does not make the abortion justified in a moral sense, but it does give a sense of the law being particularly burdensome. For someone who respects human life but also has a high regard for liberty, it can be a difficult issue.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

I think the Second Abortion Statute would go against Roe v Wade already.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies