Is the "Blame Bush" strategy going to be effective for Obama in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:40:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is the "Blame Bush" strategy going to be effective for Obama in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

He won't use it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Is the "Blame Bush" strategy going to be effective for Obama in 2012?  (Read 2407 times)
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »

The premise of this question is wrong. He isn't going to be blaming Bush and he never has. "I inherited the recession" DOESN'T translate into "Bush caused the recession." What he is saying is: "I didn't cause the recession." Now Republicans may argue (without any real evidence, I might add) that he made it worse...but that's a different discussion.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »

It might be more effective than Bush's blame Clinton strategy was in 2004, but it's not going to work by itself.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »

No matter what Obama tries to argue, in the end he'll still have difficulty trying to convince voters that he's without blame. Mondale brings up a good point: Obama currently asserts that he inherited the recession, which is certainly different from explicitly stating that Bush caused it. It's a well-known fact that economy nose-dived before Obama was inaugurated, let alone even elected. But what has Obama done in the past three years to improve the economy? He may have inherited the problem, but have his efforts worsened the issue, had no effect, or improved it? They certainly haven't improved it. Sure, it may be unrealistic to ask for or expect a complete recovery, but after three years of Obama, we aren't even on the right track.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

The premise of this question is wrong. He isn't going to be blaming Bush and he never has. "I inherited the recession" DOESN'T translate into "Bush caused the recession." What he is saying is: "I didn't cause the recession." Now Republicans may argue (without any real evidence, I might add) that he made it worse...but that's a different discussion.

I don't think most voters will take the time to split that hair.

They'll just say, "Our president keeps blaming all of our problems on someone else and not taking personal responsibility.  Some leader."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »

They'll just say, "Our president keeps blaming all of our problems on someone else and not taking personal responsibility.  Some leader."

And I think it's abundantly clear who he's blaming.......the easiest target.  Do you think he's blaming the Pelosi run House during W's last 2 years?  Is he blaming Reid's Senate?  Ha.....hardly.  Blame Bush is an appropriate name, mondale84.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »

Except poll after poll shows the public doesn't primarily blame Obama.  I don't see why it's remotely surprising.  The crash and the start of spiking unemployment all clearly happened before Obama was president.  Even a child could figure out it's not his fault.  Even Mitt Romney has.

Mondale is right that people are making ridiculous assumptions about Obama's message.  It won't be "Hey, don't look at me."  It's "Judge my work in the context of inheriting an unholy mess and depending on a dysfunctional congress to pass laws.  And take a good look at your options."
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »

It would be a moderate effect, if Rick Perry was the nominee.

It would be minimal effect with most other candidates.

It would be a huge negative for Obama, if Ron Paul was the nominee.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

No question about it.  Look at all the polls.  2 out of 3 say Bush is responsible.  You follow the polls as a politician, like it or not.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 09:35:59 PM by Does anybody else miss Bill Clinton? »

If I go to the doctor because I am not feeling well, I certainly don't "blame' the Doctor.

But if after 3 years what the Doctor has prescribed has not worked, and indeed made things worse... I will find a new doctor.......

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »

depending on a dysfunctional congress to pass laws.  And take a good look at your options."

Refresh my memory.... Which party controlled both Houses of Congress from 2006 till 2010...?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

depending on a dysfunctional congress to pass laws.  And take a good look at your options."

Refresh my memory.... Which party controlled both Houses of Congress from 2006 till 2010...?

Only if you remind what Bush initiatives they blocked and what part of their own agenda they forced on the country by threatening to blow up the economy.  Republicans will have had veto power over policy for 75% of Obama's first term.  Joe Lieberman and Ben Nelson for the other 25%.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »

No. Most of the people who still blame it on Bush are those too stubborn to admit that it's Obama's fault now, too.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 10:39:02 PM »

Except poll after poll shows the public doesn't primarily blame Obama.  I don't see why it's remotely surprising.  The crash and the start of spiking unemployment all clearly happened before Obama was president.  Even a child could figure out it's not his fault.  Even Mitt Romney has.

Mondale is right that people are making ridiculous assumptions about Obama's message.  It won't be "Hey, don't look at me."  It's "Judge my work in the context of inheriting an unholy mess and depending on a dysfunctional congress to pass laws.  And take a good look at your options."

I didn't say they primarily blame Obama.  I think they blame Bush but are tired of people making excuses.  When the running back can't get into the endzone, they want to hang his ass from the rafters, regardless of how bad his O-line is.

As for the latter part, I think that's a message that Obama will try to convey.  I just don't think it works for his charmer personality.  Nobody wants a smiley-faced guy who gets an A for effort and a C- for results.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies