Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:26:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 51
Author Topic: Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws  (Read 189566 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »

Oregon from PPP: 54/40 support.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #901 on: May 31, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »

The Michigan State legislature is debating an anti-discrimination law with respect to homosexuality. Big Business wants it to pass, so don't be surprised to find a Democratic-libertarian coalition pass it. I don't know whether SSM is in the package.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #902 on: June 01, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »

You'd think it would be higher, eh?

Also, lol at the 24% who said legalizing SSM would have a "negative impact" on their lives.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #903 on: June 02, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

Also, lol at the 24% who said legalizing SSM would have a "negative impact" on their lives.

Oregon is considered the most politically polarized state in the country, with vast numbers of liberals and conservatives identifying themselves as die-hards, so it's not really surprising.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #904 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:47 AM »

PPP's latest poll on Pennsylvania shows 48% support gay marriage; 44% oppose. Meanwhile, 56% of Pennsylvanians agree with Corbett's decision to not appeal the court's decision.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/06/wolf-leads-corbett-by-25-pa-supports-gay-marriage.html
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #905 on: June 06, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »

Some of those 24% might be vain and think that they are more likely to be hit on by members of the same sex.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #906 on: June 06, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »

WISCONSIN!

http://m.channel3000.com/court-overturns-samesex-marriage-ban/26370048

For support and legality of same-sex marriage.

White -- same-sex marriage legal or has at the least been enacted. No further distinction.
Orange -- same-sex marriage ban ruled void by a judge, but subject to a legal appeal and assumed unpopular
Dark blue -- same-sex marriage ban ruled void by a judge, but subject to a legal appeal and assumed popular enough to pass in a popular vote

Green -- current same-sex marriage not legal, but more popular than unpopular or plurality support for legalization of SSM

65% or higher -- deep green (90% saturation)
60.0 - 64.9%  -- dark green  (70% saturation)
55.0 - 59.9%  -- medium green (50% saturation)
50.0 - 54.6% --  light green (30% saturation)
below 50% but positive -- aqua (20% saturation)

tie -- yellow

above 45.0% but negative -- hot pink (30% saturation)
40.0 - 44.9% -- medium red (50% saturation)
35.0 - 39.9%  -- ruby (60% saturation)
30.0 - 34.9%  -- maroon (70% saturation)
under 30% -- deep red  (90% saturation)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #907 on: June 06, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »

Why are Idaho and Arkansas orange, but not Utah, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan and Virginia?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #908 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »

The map is starting to look like the rainbow flag. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #909 on: June 06, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »

Why are Idaho and Arkansas orange, but not Utah, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan and Virginia?

In those five states the decision has been stayed until heard by an appellate court, so you can't get a same-sex marriage there yet.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #910 on: June 07, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »

In those five states the decision has been stayed until heard by an appellate court, so you can't get a same-sex marriage there yet.

I'm also confused. Same-sex couples have been married in Utah and Arkansas (and I think Michigan, but I'm not sure), but never in Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, or Virginia. That doesn't explain the map.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #911 on: June 07, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »

I'm also confused. Same-sex couples have been married in Utah and Arkansas (and I think Michigan, but I'm not sure), but never in Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, or Virginia. That doesn't explain the map.

There were some who got married before a stay was issued in some of those states, but if you try to get a new SSM in them today, you can't.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #912 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:43 PM »

There were some who got married before a stay was issued in some of those states, but if you try to get a new SSM in them today, you can't.

That still doesn't explain the map. Same-sex marriages were granted during brief periods in Utah, Arkansas, and Michigan (and currently Wisconsin). Idaho has never issued a marriage license to a same-sex couple, which makes it no legally different from states like Texas or Oklahoma, where bans have also been struck down in federal court. Other than Wisconsin, which has yet to reach the appellate level, none of those states are currently issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. I don't see what makes Idaho and Arkansas unique.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #913 on: June 08, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

That still doesn't explain the map. Same-sex marriages were granted during brief periods in Utah, Arkansas, and Michigan (and currently Wisconsin). Idaho has never issued a marriage license to a same-sex couple, which makes it no legally different from states like Texas or Oklahoma, where bans have also been struck down in federal court. Other than Wisconsin, which has yet to reach the appellate level, none of those states are currently issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. I don't see what makes Idaho and Arkansas unique.

Brief windows of opportunity for SSM  that have not been reopened do not count. Neither does the simple acceptance of SSM contracted in another state or on places of federal authority (military bases and Indian reservations).

Permission to do SSM can be established by

(1) legislation authorizing it, including initiative or referendum
(2) an interpretation that the state law on marriage does not prohibit SSM)
(3) a state ban being voided by a judicial decision that the State does not appeal
(4) a state ban being voided but appealed, but the appeal being denied
(5) state bans being voided by a decision of the Supreme Court analogous to Loving vs. Virginia  that applies to all states.

All imply that the state permits SSM. States in white so far have legalized SSM through (1), (2), or (3). No state has yet gone through (4), and I cannot predict when any state will do so.

Orange implies that an appeal is in process and that the state is understood to be unfavorable to SSM. Blue implies that an appeal is in process and that the state is understood to be amenable to SSM through polling. Both colors implies that marriage licenses for same-sex couples are not underway.

Others are either gray (no polling) red (polling shows greater opposition than support), yellow (equal support and disapproval), or green (SSM higher approval than disapproval.

States in reddish shades are going to approve SSM only through a judicial decision that nobody can now predict. They will not enact SSM with the legislatures that they now have or are likely to ever have, and any initiative or referendum allowing SSM is sure to fail.  States in green could approve SSM either through specific legislation or an initiative/referendum. At that there is a huge difference between Indiana and North Carolina.

Indiana? Sure. Big Business wants it to pass even in that very conservative state -- because it is good for business.           
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »

Except for New Mexico, every state with SSM voted for Kerry in 2004. Wisconsin and Michigan seem to be the only Kerry states without it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #915 on: June 12, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

Republicans would lose the issue if they were to put it on the ballot as initiative or referendum  in Michigan or Wisconsin. In recent years they would put it on the ballot to bring out the Fundamentalist vote
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #916 on: June 12, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »

Except for New Mexico, every state with SSM voted for Kerry in 2004. Wisconsin and Michigan seem to be the only Kerry states without it.
Wisconsin currently has it in 60 out 72 counties. But I imagine van hollen will eventually get a stay.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #917 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »

Wisconsin currently has it in 60 out 72 counties. But I imagine van hollen will eventually get a stay.

It's up to each county to decide whether they want same sex marriage or not?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #918 on: June 12, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2014, 08:33:52 PM by Nhoj »

It's up to each county to decide whether they want same sex marriage or not?
No, its just must are issuing licenses and the others are waiting for clarification.
the number of counties issuing has steadily increased throughout the week.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #919 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »

No, you forgot Iowa. 

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #920 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »

Iowa voted for Dubya in 2004.

Gore won Iowa and New Mexico but lost New Hampshire. Kerry won New Hampshire but lost Iowa and New Mexico.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #921 on: June 13, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

Ok then:

No state that voted for Bush twice has SSM. Is that better?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #922 on: June 13, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »

tbf iowa is very forgettable
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #923 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »

Ok then:

No state that voted for Bush twice has SSM. Is that better?

Yes. But Colorado, Ohio, and Virginia are good candidates to legalize SSM.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #924 on: June 15, 2014, 09:19:50 AM »

Is any state going to vote on legalizing marriage equality this year? I know that Oregon was going to prior to its ban being struck down. What about Ohio? I'd read that there was a push to put it on the ballot this year. I can't really find any current info on that initiative. I think it'd stand a pretty good shot at passing, though very far from a sure thing.

I'm not sure why they didn't try to put it on the ballot in Colorado. Of any state currently without marriage equality, I think Colorado would be the best bet for it passing via ballot initiative (expect perhaps Nevada, where it can't be legalized until 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies