Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51
Author Topic: Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws  (Read 188876 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 29, 2014, 12:06:04 AM »
« edited: July 29, 2014, 08:50:58 AM by pbrower2a »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/28/north-carolina-gay-marriage_n_5628129.html

For support and legality of same-sex marriage.

White -- same-sex marriage legal or has at the least been enacted. No further distinction.

Green -- same-sex marriage not legal, but more popular than unpopular or plurality support for legalization of SSM

65% or higher -- deep green (90% saturation)
60.0 - 64.9%  -- dark green  (70% saturation)
55.0 - 59.9%  -- medium green (50% saturation)
50.0 - 54.6% --  light green (30% saturation)
below 50% but positive -- aqua (20% saturation)

tie -- yellow

above 45.0% but negative -- hot pink (30% saturation)
40.0 - 44.9% -- medium red (50% saturation)
35.0 - 39.9%  -- ruby (60% saturation)
30.0 - 34.9%  -- maroon (70% saturation)
under 30% -- deep red  (90% saturation)

In view of the decisions of the 4th Federal Circuit Court, tan for states in which states have until August 18, 2014 in which to appeal the decision:  

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1001 on: July 29, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/28/north-carolina-gay-marriage_n_5628129.html

White -- same-sex marriage legal or has at the least been enacted. No further distinction.

Green -- same-sex marriage not legal, but more popular than unpopular or plurality support for legalization of SSM

tie -- yellow

In view of the decisions of the 4th Federal Circuit Court, tan for states in which states have until August 18, 2014 in which to appeal the decision:  

Not sure why you made NC white, Cooper has stated he will no longer defend the legal challenges to the law in court, but same-sex marriage is still not legal in N.C
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1002 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »

It sounded like a surrender.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1003 on: July 29, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »

The court still has to rule specifically in the local NC case and it is possible that there are others besides Cooper who would have the standing to defend the NC law, as happened in Virginia where the AG ceased to defend it, but some of the local officials who would be involved in the implementation of SSM recognition continued to defend not doing so.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1004 on: July 29, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »

Another map, and I hope that it is for your convenience.

States in white (and DC) already have legalized same-sex marriages. Other states are coded by district:

I do not know the status of SSM in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, or the Northern Marianas.

4th circuit*
5th circuit
6th circuit
7th circuit
8th circuit
9th circuit
10th circuit*
11th circuit

*Next appeal, US Supreme court.

Colors have no political significance.

DC and all states within the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd circuit courts have legalized SSM.

I think that SCOTUS will not issue cert until the 5th or 11th upholds a gay marriage ban. If they don't, they won't.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1005 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

tie -- yellow

Not sure why you made NC white, Cooper has stated he will no longer defend the legal challenges to the law in court, but same-sex marriage is still not legal in N.C

Correction made. One surrender by one elected official may not be enough.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1006 on: August 02, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »

The Boston Globe just had a poll of Massachusetts on acceptance of SSM.

77% favor
17% disfavor
5% don't know

http://c.o0bg.com/rw/Boston/2011-2020/2014/07/31/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Graphics/Topline.pdf

It seems that the earthquakes, the tidal waves, and Boston being obliterated like Sodom and Gomorrah for acceptance of SSM never happened. SSM seems to be the sort of thing that people accept once it is entrenched.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1007 on: August 02, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »

But why bring it up? You said SSM states would no longer count in your maps.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »

And it's not on the map?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1009 on: August 03, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »

And it's not on the map?
It's not. pbrower said he wouldn't include polls on SSM states.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1010 on: August 03, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2014, 04:26:34 PM by pbrower2a »

I brought it up as an illustration of why approval for SSM need not be shown in states that have legalized it.

It illustrates why approval of SSM in a State that already has it does not belong on the map, and why I did not show it on the map. It is enough that SSM is legal in Massachusetts.

Once entrenched in law, SSM is unlikely to go away.  Of course if there were some legislative attempt or a referendum to abolish SSM, then approval would become relevant again. I do not see that happening in any state with SSM.

Approval is relevant in states in which SSM is not yet fully legal. The map suggests that SSM has more ways in which it can be legalized in such a state as Colorado than in neighboring Wyoming. In Colorado, means of legalizing SSM would seem to include a referendum (it would likely pass), legislative action, refusal of the Governor to appeal, or a definitive decision of the court that denies all appeals. In Wyoming such would take a huge change in public opinion before any method other than a definitive decision beyond any appeal.

Of course the 10th Circuit can establish the law for Colorado and Wyoming simultaneously. Likewise, the legal status of SSM could be decided simultaneously in such disparate states as Michigan and Tennessee together.

As for a Governor refusing to make further appeals -- a Republican Governor can decide that resistance to SSM might be unwise. Governors of Florida, Michigan, and Wisconsin might be in that position at some time.  
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1011 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »

I'd at least be interested to see SSM polls in states like Iowa that aren't likely to be quite as enthusiastic about SSM as Massachusetts but have had it for some time.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1012 on: August 08, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

If I got such a poll I would have no qualms about anyone showing it as a poll. Likewise for any state that has SSM.

SSM looks like an unqualified success where it is in effect. It's likely rare and it seems harmless. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1013 on: August 14, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »

All but over in Virginia. Virginia will soon be for lovers even if same sex.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/virginia-gay-marriage_n_5675326.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices&ir=Gay%20Voices

Waiting until Wednesday (expiration of the appeal) to white-out Virginia on the map.

tie -- yellow

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1014 on: August 15, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »

National poll, for what it is worth:

51% believe that legalization of same-sex marriage (SSM)  is rightly the purview of the federal government; 44% believe that it is a state issue.

50% of those who oppose legalization of SSM believe that the issue is best decided by States.

64% of Democrats and 52% of independents favor settling SSM at the federal level. 59% or Republicans favor leaving it to the States.

54% of Americans favor the legalization of SSM. 62% of Democrats favor legalization of SSM;  63% of Republicans oppose doing so. 65% of Americans under 45 years of age support legalization of SSM;  only 44% of Americans 45 or older support legalizing SSM.

12% of Americans have changed their attitudes toward SSM -- but it is a lopsided 11-1 gap between those who have come to support legalization after having opposed it and those who used to support it who now oppose it.

71% of Americans now know someone homosexual. 83% would not reject voting for a Congressional candidates who admit being homosexual. 62% of Americans would not be strongly upset to find that a son or daughter is homosexual.   

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/815-views-on-same-sex-marriage-supporters-look-to-feds-opponents-more-to-states/
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1015 on: August 16, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2014, 05:53:30 PM by eric82oslo »

62% of Americans would not be strongly upset to find that a son or daughter is homosexual.  

Only 62% would not be strongly upset? That's horrible numbers. Disgusting actually. And if anything these are underestimations as most respondents want to appear as desirable and politically correct as possible. Perhaps the real world is closer to 50/50. With 50% only being moderately upset (or not at all) and 50% being either strongly or extremely strongly upset. Like those who cut off all contact with their child after learning such. Unfortunately that happens with a lot more people than we like to think about. That's what religion does with people... Only religion can make people cut contact with their own child(ren).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1016 on: August 16, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »

62% of Americans would not be strongly upset to find that a son or daughter is homosexual.  

Only 62% would not be strongly upset? That's horrible numbers. Disgusting actually. And if anything these are underestimations as most respondents want to appear as desirable and politically correct as possible. Perhaps the real world is closer to 50/50. With 50% only being moderately upset (or not at all) and 50% being either strongly or extremely strongly upset. Like those who cut off all contact with their child after learning such. Unfortunately that happens with a lot more people than we like to think about. That's what religion does with people... Only religion can make people cut contact with their own child(ren).

Religion? No -- it is a primal concern about passing down genes, something deep in the irrational subconscious. Religion often manipulates the subconscious, and not always for the best. Cutting off relatives for something so lacking in culpability as homosexuality is irrational, as is cutting off relatives for abandoning the religious fold or marrying out of the group. Homophobia is not strictly a religious decision, although some religious bodies are undeniably intolerant of homosexuality. There's a huge difference between the Anglican communion and (at worst) the infamous Westboro Baptist Church, best known for godh@tesf@gs.

Most who wouldn't be strongly upset would probably sympathize with homosexual offspring after learning that everything other than homosexuality is normal. Homosexuality is not a choice; it is a fact. Nobody knows a cause.

Other things could be far more troubling. Consider:

1. General delinquency, including gang activity.
2. Drug use.
3. Alcoholism.
4. Pathological gambling
5. Involvement in extremist causes (including godh@tesf@gs)
6. Elder abuse
7. Spouse or child abuse
8. Mental illness
9. Financial recklessness

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #1017 on: August 16, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »

Religion? No -- it is a primal concern about passing down genes, something deep in the irrational subconscious.

The only gays I know or have heard about whose parents have cut off contact with them, have all had deeply religious parents.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1018 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »

Religion? No -- it is a primal concern about passing down genes, something deep in the irrational subconscious.

The only gays I know or have heard about whose parents have cut off contact with them, have all had deeply religious parents.

The point is than even pro-gay parents are usually upset a bit. Thye know life will be harder, than they won't pass down genes. I doubt any parent ever launched a party while learning their kid was gay.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1019 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:15 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 04:51:14 AM by pbrower2a »

The point is than even pro-gay parents are usually upset a bit. Thye know life will be harder, than they won't pass down genes. I doubt any parent ever launched a party while learning their kid was gay.

I wouldn't throw a "My daughter is a prostitute" or "My son is a car thief" party, either.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #1020 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 09:23:46 PM by eric82oslo »

That 60% number seems to be for Republican voters actually, at least according to Washington Post. Which makes more sense to me. Here are the breakdowns along party line.

Republican voters:
Percentage being upset or very upset: 60%
Percentage not being very upset or not at all: 38%

Democratic voters:
Percentage being upset or very upset: 28%
Percentage not being very upset or not at all: 70%

Independent voters:
Percentage being upset or very upset: 31%
Percentage not being very upset or not at all: 67%

Meaning that Democratic and independent voters have almost exactly the same attitude towards the issue.

"While a 1985 poll for the Los Angeles Times showed that 89 percent of Americans said they would be upset -- including 64 percent being "very upset" -- today, 35 percent say they would be upset, and only 12 percent say "very upset." "

Here's the WP article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/08/18/republicans-are-ok-with-voting-for-gay-candidates-they-are-less-ok-with-their-children-being-gay/
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1021 on: August 20, 2014, 04:29:47 AM »

I doubt any parent ever launched a party while learning their kid was gay.

I wouldn't throw a "My daughter is a prostitute" or "My son is a car thief" party, either.

Those examples aren't on the same level as homosexuality at all.  Seems like a strange comment to make.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1022 on: August 20, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »

I doubt any parent ever launched a party while learning their kid was gay.

Those examples aren't on the same level as homosexuality at all.  Seems like a strange comment to make.

That is the point. At the least one can have a happy and wholesome life as a homosexual. One can't live a happy and wholesome life as a criminal or as a prostitute. Because homosexuals can do about anything that straight people can do other than maintain a heterosexual relationship, people can do some soul-searching and find that what seems distressing at first is not so horrible. Nothing good can be said of a life of criminality or of loveless sexuality for which nobody can find a rational defense.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1023 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2014, 04:47:08 PM by pbrower2a »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/virginia-gay-marriage_n_5694479.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices&ir=Gay%20Voices

FDRfan1985
Rookie

« Reply #1024 on: August 20, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/politics/virginia-same-sex-marriage/index.html

The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday granted a request to delay enforcement of an appeals court ruling that overturned Virginia's same-sex marriage ban. That means gay and lesbian couples cannot legally wed in the state for now.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies