Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:16:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polls on Same-Sex Marriage State Laws  (Read 190519 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 26, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »

NJ (Quinnipiac):

Would you support or oppose a law that would allow same-sex couples to get married?

64-30 support

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-centers/polling-institute/new-jersey/release-detail?ReleaseID=1872

Did I not say but a few months ago we would be one of the best on this issue? 

Oh... and the South still blows the big one on gay marriage.  Who would've thought? 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:19:34 AM »

Here's where YouGov most recently had Wyoming on approval and disapproval on same-sex marriage (SSM):

WY    33    50    -17

I don't know where the 53-39 poll came from. If such is the pattern, then it would seem that soon after SSM is tolerated by law, the public follows. Maybe people find that it does not hurt them.  

PPP could poll North Carolina. This could compel me to update the approval rating for SSM in at least one state.

Why does Wyoming get this reputation of being all libertarian and whatnot... like a gaggle of cowboys that don't want the government involved in anything?  They are clearly just a bunch of nasty hicks like the rest of Republamerica.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »

Here's where YouGov most recently had Wyoming on approval and disapproval on same-sex marriage (SSM):

WY    33    50    -17

I don't know where the 53-39 poll came from. If such is the pattern, then it would seem that soon after SSM is tolerated by law, the public follows. Maybe people find that it does not hurt them.  

PPP could poll North Carolina. This could compel me to update the approval rating for SSM in at least one state.

Why does Wyoming get this reputation of being all libertarian and whatnot... like a gaggle of cowboys that don't want the government involved in anything?  They are clearly just a bunch of nasty hicks like the rest of Republamerica.  

I think there was a time where it was like that, but the energy boom of the late 2000s brought in a lot of white trash. I think as the value of Hydrocarbons decreases, that these people will move out and things may or may not turn to normal in the next few years. Though even then, I don't think they are anti-Government as they are "we don't really care about feminism or civil rights or religion for that matter, we just want to get rich and enjoy the outdoors".

Yea, but I always thought that "I don't care" was not to include actively opposing.  50% opposition to gay marriage at this point is striking, as it's basically one of those progressive issues that has come full circle.  Definitely "it's here, it's queer, get used to it", and those people still fighting it just come off as hateful. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »

WY    33    50    -17

I think there was a time where it was like that, but the energy boom of the late 2000s brought in a lot of white trash. I think as the value of Hydrocarbons decreases, that these people will move out and things may or may not turn to normal in the next few years. Though even then, I don't think they are anti-Government as they are "we don't really care about feminism or civil rights or religion for that matter, we just want to get rich and enjoy the outdoors".

Wyoming's population hasn't really changed enough to cause any kind of seismic shift in their politics.  Also, I doubt that young energy industry workers are substantially more socially conservative than native Wyoming citizens.  They probably vote at fairly poor rates, too.

The interior west may have a "leave me alone" approach to politics, but that often takes the form of "don't force social liberalism on me and my family."  I guess that's libertarian in a way, but in a socially right-wing way.

Yea... "leave me alone"... but "go get them!"  That's called hypocrisy. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies