Ugly city boundaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:47:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ugly city boundaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ugly city boundaries  (Read 6541 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2011, 07:00:38 PM by Bacon King »

I figure this will make an interesting thread; Georgia (along with other states, of course) has really lax laws governing how a city can expand its boundaries, resulting in some grotesque boundary maps. For your amusement, here are some of the worst offenders that I know of (others are welcome to contribute, of course).

My hometown of Auburn, Georgia:

Jefferson, GA: (actually juts a good bit further to the west along the red ine road)

Sugar Hill, GA: (I couldn't get a good image showing the entire city, but this patchwork exists along the entire perimeter)

Dawsonville, GA:
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »

San Jose, CA (the shaded red is the city of San Jose)

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »

In Canada, Montreal is the one with the best known ugly boundaries thanks to demergers:

In Spain, there's lot of stuff like this (eg: Donostia)

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »

the only one in Ontario I can think of is Greenstone

Not the best map (I created it), but I couldn't find anything else.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »

Why did Montreal-Est demerge from Montreal? The rest I understand, all being wealthy and heavily Anglophone, but as far as I am aware, Montreal-Est is neither.

And, to keep this post on topic... South Hackensack, NJ (in red on the county map). It looks that way because Teterboro, Moonachie, Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge and Little Ferry all incorporated during Boroughitis, leaving the Township of South Hackensack split into three parts. The southeastern sliver is all industrial, while most of the population lives in the northeastern portion. Most of the western portion is taken up by a cemetery, but there are a few residents.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »

Liechtenstein has ridiculous and illogical town borders for a joke country:

The capital of Vaduz:

Largest city of Schaan (which has about 5600 people):
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »

Columbus, OH.

RBH

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

Missouri reporting in

Kansas City

Nevada, MO (the limbs are the municipal airport and a park)

Higginsville (the tail goes down MO13 to I70)

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »

Why did Montreal-Est demerge from Montreal? The rest I understand, all being wealthy and heavily Anglophone, but as far as I am aware, Montreal-Est is neither.

It's apparently a big hub for the oil industry, which might have something to do with it. Montreal-Est has four of Montreal's six petrochemical plants, and two of the city's three commercial refineries (with the third one barely out of the city).

Montreal-Est also refused to rename its stretch of Dorchester Blvd. to René Lévesque Blvd., so I assume there's some hostility to separatism as well.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »

It's apparently a big hub for the oil industry, which might have something to do with it. Montreal-Est has four of Montreal's six petrochemical plants, and two of the city's three commercial refineries (with the third one barely out of the city).

Montreal-Est also refused to rename its stretch of Dorchester Blvd. to René Lévesque Blvd., so I assume there's some hostility to separatism as well.

Can't be that much hostility to separatism; it's in the federal seat of La-Pointe-de-L'Ile, which was the Bloc's strongest seat 2004-2008, and the provincial seat of Pointe-aux-Trembles, which has been represented by a PQ MNA continuously since at least 1989 (and was 63% Oui in the 1995 referendum).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »

As a special bonus, a map of Houston, showing the familiar shape of a galloping hedgehog with antlers and a television antenna, as a squirrel and a hunchback man in a stovepipe hat pushing a wheelbarrow try to avoid getting bucked off.

One measure of compactness is the ratio of the perimeter squared to the area.  A circle has a normalized value of 1.00.  A square of 1.27.  A Houston-shaped 13340-gon has a value of 60.0.

This is the same as a 4-mile wide strip across Texas, a shotgun house 560 feet deep and 3 feet wide, or a one millimeter-wide filament 18.6 cm in length.

Click To Texasize

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »

I don't think there's any deep demographic reason. It looks unique when you consider only Montreal, but the PQ's municipal consolidation and the subsequent demerger process allowed by Charest were province-wide, and outside the English-speaking towns where ordinary people really were angry at the mergers, the results were basically chaotic, with low turnout, and even though most efforts failed, a random handful of French-speaking towns also demerged, of which Montreal-Est was just one. I assume that those places happened to have a strong local organization (maybe because local politicians wanted their old jobs back).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »

Yes, Columbus is hell when it comes to drawing lines respecting municipal boundaries, particularly in its southern and eastern reaches.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »

Doing maps for Colorado now, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Denver:

It's the whole appendage to take in the airport. There just isn't any way to get that to work right.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »

Los Angeles is also an obvious one:

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

Glasgow Sad
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »

I think you forgot to read the last word.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »

You know what you say is lies Wink
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »

Haha, just playing up on popular stereotype.  Glasgow is Paradise Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »

Haha, just playing up on popular stereotype.  Glasgow is Paradise Smiley

Well one half of it is Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »

Glasgow doesn't look all that nice but certainly better than most American cities like the ones listed earlier.

At least Minneapolis is a neat little rectangle. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

The Blue and White half, right?

*flees*
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »

Doing maps for Colorado now, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Denver:

It's the whole appendage to take in the airport. There just isn't any way to get that to work right.

Since Denver is also a county, its annexations also removed territory from neighboring counties, and also school districts.  Annexations in Colorado have to be approved by the land owners of the area being annexed, so once an area is developed, the residents would generally favor keeping their schools.  But developers might prefer to be in Denver since that would secure them water.  Many cities around Denver annexed territory to block Denver, and Denver tried to squeeze between them.

Now voters of the whole county from which territory is being annexed from must approve annexation from their county.   So when the new airport was built, Adams County voters had to approve the annexation.   If the annexation had failed, the airport might not have been built.  Even if their were some sort of regional organization, Denver would have resisted.   Adams County benefits since it is easier to commute from Adams County than Denver proper and there is also sales tax revenue and businesses located near the airport.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »

I'm not sure there's any good solution to make more aesthetically pleasing city boundaries. Cities are creatures of state statute and are given the ability to annex new land. Some states have county restrictions on cities, but others allow annexation across county lines. Some allow non-contiguous annexations as well.

There's a need for property owners to benefit from city services at the cost of city taxes if they so choose. Those owners will often seek the nearest city regardless of the shape of the boundaries it would create.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies