2012: The Fight for Liberty!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012: The Fight for Liberty!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 2012: The Fight for Liberty!  (Read 12400 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »

Did Rudy and Pataki make the ballot in Iowa?
They did, just performed poorly, so weren't on the list.
Gotcha Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »

Just Barely! Mitt Romney Narrowly Wins New Hampshire Primary

With 95% of precincts reporting, we can confirm that Mitt Romney will hang on in New Hampshire. The state was a make or break for his campaign, and after a poor debate performance this past weekend, many questioned whether he'd be able to pull it out.

The story of the night, however, is Ron Paul's late surge in New Hampshire, which resulted in him overtaking Rudy Giuliani for second place and almost defeating Romney.

Following the New Hampshire primary, George Pataki announced his withdrawal from the race. Neither Huntsman or Giuliani gave an indication of what their future plans would be.

Results
Mitt Romney - 27.43% (Green)
Ron Paul - 25.86% (Yellow
Rudy Giuliani - 21.68%
Jon Huntsman - 10.34%
Rick Santorum - 6.98%
George Pataki - 5.65%
Rick Perry - 2.60%

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »

Rudy, Pataki, and Huntsman are finished.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »

Moderate's Dropping Like Flies!

Simply put, we had to do well New Hampshire to stay alive. We put in a great effort, but we just couldn't get the job done. Today, I'm announcing that I will be ending my campaign for Presidency.

Looking forward, I think it's important that Republicans unite behind someone who is fiscally conservative and can defeat Barack Obama in November. With that in mind, I'm giving my endorsement to Rudy Giuliani, in hopes that he will be able to unite the party and win it all.

- George Pataki

After many prayers, my family has decided it is best for me to stand aside in this race. We have fought a hard fought, but simply haven't had the results we were hoping for.

It is with great pride, though, that I announce my endorsement for Rudy Giuliani. He's someone who, I believe can unite this party and also attract moderate support needed to defeat Barack Obama.

- Jon Huntsman

At this point in the race, I think everyone was expecting a candidate to claim some momentum. At this stage, instead, we have several candidates all claiming they have the momentum. Mitt Romney, even though he only won one of his homestates by less than 2%, is claiming victory after strong showings in the first 2 states. Ron Paul probably has the best argument, after pulling off an upset in Iowa and nearly pulling one off in New Hampshire. His numbers have spiked, and reports suggest that in the past week, he's ran even with Romney in terms of fundraising.

Then, you got Rudy Giuliani. After New Hampshire, I thought he was done for. Now, all of a sudden, he has Pataki and Huntsman both throwing their support behind him, and he's also starting to get moderates to coalesce around him. Just today he picked up the endorsement of former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge, and also has an endorsement from Olympia Snowe.

Rick Santorum is still in the thick of things, claiming he is the only real conservative left in the race, while Rick Perry still has a breathing hope in South Carolina. This is anyone's race!

National Republican Primary Poll (Rasmussen Reports)
Mitt Romney - 22%
Ron Paul - 20%
Rudy Giuliani - 15%
Rick Santorum - 14%
Rick Perry - 11%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »

Great update!
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »

January 16th, 2012: The remaining GOP candidates debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It was aired on Fox News.

Some key moments of the debate.

Now is not the time for more division and partisanship in America - it is time for new hope, and a new leader that's ready to put American's back to work. I have the proven leadership experience, leading the people of New York City through the most trying of times. It's time to once again make America a beacon of hope throughout the world.
- Rudy Giulani

I am the only true conservative remaining in this race. Congressman Paul has a foreign policy plan that will cripple our nation, both Governor Romney and Mayor Giuliani have questionable positions on social issues, and Governor Perry is one of the most pro-immigration candidates we've had. This party was founded on conservative principles, and I'll restore them.
- Rick Santorum

There he goes again, creating more lies and trying to say whatever he can to win votes. Rick Santorum is not conservative, he's lying. Don't let him fool you. He voted for all of the big spending bills under Governor Bush, and repeatedly compromised his beliefs for backroom politics. There's a reason he lost by the biggest margin of any incumbment in 2006, and that's because he forgot the people he represented and the need to fight for liberty!
- Ron Paul

We can have all of this bickering, or we can focus on the real opponent in this election - President Barack Obama. I think we all know that I'm not the greatest debator, but I have something none of the other candidates have - a proven record as Governor that shows that smart, conservative policies work. We've created more jobs in Texas than anywhere else. I'll take our blueprint in Texas to the national stage, and we're going to get America working again!
- Rick Perry

Analysis on the Debate:
Karl Rove - This was the most watched debate of the year, and that's because a majority of Republicans still have no clue what they're going to do. The biggest winner for tonight, in my opinion, was Rick Perry. He avoided gaffes and did a successful job at touting his plans and his experience as Governor.

Another reason why tonight was a big night for Perry - Santorum fell apart. He was repeatedly labeled a "big-government Republican", with Paul attacking him in almost every answer he gave. Some Americans may look down on Paul's negative approach, but he made Santorum look like a fool tonight, while successfully making some points as well.

Tonight, Giuliani established himself as the moderate choice in this election, and reminded voters that he's the most electable of the bunch. Finally, tonight was a wash for Governor Romney - he did nothing to hurt his status as "weak frontrunner", but didn't help his cause either.

Post-Debate Polls:
Mitt Romney - 21% (-1)
Ron Paul - 18% (-2)
Rick Perry - 16% (+5)
Rudy Giuliani - 16% (+1)
Rick Santorum - 10% (-4)

South Carolina Primary Poll (Gallup)
Perry - 29%
Romney - 21%
Santorum - 15%
Paul - 14%
Giuliani - 10%

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »

That debate was interesting. Rudy, as pointed out, is the new moderate. Romney is nothing for the time being. Paul and Perry are going to be the Conservatives in the race, as Santorums record is out for everyone to see. Great timeline Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 01:28:08 AM »

That debate was interesting. Great timeline Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

Perry Power! Rick Perry wins South Carolina Primary

With the votes counted, we can easily project that Texas Governor Rick Perry will win the South Carolina. Governor Perry benefited from strong debate performances in recent week, and also spent more money than any other candidate in South Carolina. When adding in the endorsement of Senator Jim Demint, it was fully expected that he would win.

Results:
Rick Perry: 38%
Mitt Romney: 28%
Ron Paul: 14%
Rick Santorum: 10%
Rudy Giuliani: 9%

Florida Poll (Post South Carolina):
Rick Perry - 25%
Rudy Giuliani - 23%
Mitt Romney - 17%
Ron Paul - 8%
Rick Santorum - 6%

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

It's back!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »

Santorum Withdraws from Race

After prayerful consideration, today, I announce that I will be suspending my race for President of the United States. We have fought a good fight, but at the end of the day, we just weren't able to capture the momentum needed to win the White House.

Rick Santorum declined to make an endorsement, but an insider in the Santorum camp states that the former Senator plans to make an endorsement soon, and that endorsement will likely be either Governor Romney or Governor Perry.

Rick Perry - 30%
Mitt Romney - 22%
Ron Paul - 17%
Rudy Giuliani - 16%

Florida will be a huge test for our campaign. It is imperative that we win here.
- Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani

January 24th: In a surprise move, former Florida Governor Charlie Crist announces that he will be voting for Rudy Giuliani, but will not make any appearances with him.

Having Crist's support will certainly hurt Giuliani's support with conservative voters, but then again, he wasn't strong with them to begin with. What it will do, though, is help Giuliani with Independents. Can Giuliani get enough Independents to vote with him to win Florida? We'll see.
- Chuck Todd

We won't be contesting Florida. We will appear in a debate there next week, but that's about the extent of it. Rather, we will be focusing on upcoming caucus states, as well as the Missouri primary.
- Ron Paul

Florida Polling:
ARG:
Perry - 27%
Giuliani - 26%
Romney - 20%
Paul - 7%

CNN/Time:
Giuliani - 26%
Perry - 24%
Romney - 22%
Paul - 11%

PPP:
Giuliani - 29%
Perry - 28%
Romney - 25%
Paul - 8%

Analysis: It's a three-way race. Romney appears to have the late momentum, an he has spent more in Florida than his opponents combined. Florida could become one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, primary in American history. Giuliani, Perry, and Romney all have a lot riding here, while Paul has decided to skip out on the state.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

Let me take this post to say that I'm praying for the day I see this when I open up my email
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

Let me take this post to say that I'm praying for the day I see this when I open up my email

Amen!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »

Amen!

Cheesy.  I look forward to future installments; all your TLs are great.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »

Romney Recovery!

January 31st: Following a narrow victory in New Hampshire, it was collectively decided by many insiders within the Republican Party that the Romney campaign was fading fast. A string of mediocre debate performances and a ten-point loss to Governor Perry only contributed to that sentiment. However, after outspending all of his opponents combined in Florida by a 3-1 margin, Romney's advertising attack paid off, giving the Governor a win and assuring the death of Mayor Giuliani's second, and likely final, presidential campaign.

Florida Results:
Mitt Romney - 34%
Rudy Giuliani - 28%
Rick Perry - 27%
Ron Paul - 10%

February 1st:

After speaking with my family and closest campaign advisers, I recognize that there is no viable path towards garnering the Republican nomination. I will be withdrawing from the Republican primaries. I am extremely grateful to my supporters, many working hours upon hours towards our goal. I have nothing but kind words to say about my opponents: Governor Mitt Romney, Governor Rick Perry, and Congressman Ron Paul.

It is imperative that the Republican Party is united and strong heading into this fall. President Obama has failed this nation both at home and overseas, and our country desperately needs real leadership. I am confident that Governor Romney is the candidate who can best run a successful campaign in November, and I enthusiastically back his candidacy. Thank you all. God Bless.

- Mayor Rudy Giuliani

November 4th: Despite Nevada's libertarian-leanings, heavy Mormon turnout lands the state in Romney's column. However, the Paul campaign has nothing to be ashamed of, as the campaign finished in a strong second, surpassing Governor Rick Perry.

Nevada Results:
Mitt Romney - 48%
Ron Paul - 27%
Rick Perry - 25%

Considering their limitations as a candidate with wide-appeal, Governor Perry and Congressman Paul are both running strong campaigns. Both are receiving substantial support from the Tea Party. However, this division is keeping either of them from mounting a serious challenge to Governor Romney, and unless one drops out soon, which I think is very unlikely, Governor Romney should start preparing for Tampa in August.
- Karl Rove

Red - Paul
Lime Green - Romney
Blue - Perry

Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:52 AM »

WOOT!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 01:14:41 AM »

It looks like Romney will end up with the nomination.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:34 PM »

Mayhem in Minnesota!

February 7th: Thanks to great organization and turnout, Congressman Paul surprised many today with a moderate victory in the Minnesota Caucus. Congressman Paul was also successful in the beauty contest known as the Missouri Primary, though no delegates were awarded.

Not all was bad for the Romney campaign, however, as the Governor was able to scrape by in Colorado. Momentum is starting to swing behind Congressman Paul - will Governor Romney soon turn negative on the Congressman?

Minnesota Results:
Ron Paul - 44%
Mitt Romney - 30%
Rick Perry - 24%

Missouri Results:
Ron Paul - 45%
Mitt Romney - 33%
Rick Perry - 20%

Colorado Results:
Mitt Romney - 36%
Ron Paul - 33%
Rick Perry - 30%

February 6th: Today, the Romney campaign announced an television ad buy that hit Congressman Paul on foreign policy. This is the first sign of negativity between the Romney and Paul Campaigns.

February 11th: After seven days, it is announced that Congressman Paul has also won the Maine Caucus. This represents the third win out of the last four states for the Congressman, and national polls show him slowly catching up with Governor Romney.

Public Policy Polling (National)Sad
Mitt Romney - 36%
Ron Paul - 27%
Rick Perry - 22%
Undecided - 14%

February 22nd: In what proved to be a turning point for Governor Perry, the candidates sparred at a debate in Phoenix, Arizona.

Congressman Paul's views on foreign policy are not only out of line with the principles of the Republican Party, but they threaten our national security. I have great respect for Congressman Paul sticking to his principles, but there is a reason he has been unable to pass legislation during his long tenure in Washington D.C. - he is simply too extreme to effectively lead.
- Governor Mitt Romney

I never thought I would see the day where I would be attacked for standing by my principles, let alone to Governor Romney, a man with a notorious record for flip-flopping to appease the voting base. This is a man who has campaign as pro-life and pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and against gay marriage, and supported universal healthcare until it was no longer convenient to do so. Mitt Romney will say whatever he needs to say in order to win the nomination - I find that type of character to be far more dangerous for our nation.
- Congressman Ron Paul

On one side we have a Congressman who is admired by many but has many extreme views and has no sort of executive experience. On the other side...we have a candidate who has the needed executive experience, but he has a wishy-washy record on multiple issues. How can we expect to campaign against Obamacare this fall with a candidate who passed the same thing in his own state?

Not only do I have executive experience, but I have overseen the fastest growing and most business-friendly state in the nation - Texas. Despite the Obama recession, our economy has continued to grow due to conservative governing. I am the only candidate remaining who has a proven conservative record and the experience needed to lead our nation.

- Governor Rick Perry

CNN Flash Poll:
Who won the debate?
Rick Perry - 55%
Ron Paul - 29%
Mitt Romney - 8%

Arizona Poll:
Rick Perry - 37%
Mitt Romney - 30%
Ron Paul - 19%

Michigan Poll:
Rick Perry - 38%
Mitt Romney - 36%
Ron Paul - 11%

Red - Paul
Lime Green - Romney
Blue - Perry
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2013, 02:15:24 PM by Accidental IDS Legislator Sanchez »

I'm so glad this is back Smiley.

....and dear God, I was a freshman when this timeline started Tongue. Feels like an eternity since then.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »

Can Romney Buy the Nomination?

February 28th: After a strong debate performance, Texas Governor Rick Perry looked nearly unstoppable, jumping up to a tie with Romney in national polls, a prime example of how elastic this race has been. However, following a week of attacks by both Governor Romney and Congressman Paul, specifically highlighting past debate performances, the Governor has slowly faded back.

That being said, Perry's campaign received a major boost after recieving the endorsement of Jan Brewer, and his campaign was able to prevail in Arizona. However, in Michigan, Governor Romney was able to spend his way to another victory. Despite his absence from these states in preparation for Super Tuesday, Congressman Paul also had surprisingly strong showings in both states.

Arizona Results:
Rick Perry - 39%
Mitt Romney - 36%
Ron Paul - 24%

Michigan Results:
Mitt Romney - 44%
Rick Perry - 35%
Ron Paul - 20%

February 29th: Despite strong making visits to the state and having the better organization, strong Mormon turnout enabled Governor Romney to narrowly take the Wyoming Caucus over Ron Paul, winning 38%-36%.

March 1st: The next week could make or break each campaign. While Governor Romney is airing ads in all Super Tuesday states, the campaign is focusing primarily on Ohio and Georgia. Congressman Paul is hoping to win a string of small states, campaigning in Washington for the upset, Alaska, North Dakota, and Vermont. His campaign is also campaigning in Virginia, where they face a head-to-head matchup with Governor Romney. Rick Perry is sticking to the South, focusing heavily on Georgia and Tennessee while also hoping to pull out a big win in Ohio.

March 3rd: Ron Paul pulls off another surprise in the Washington caucus. Pundits begin to compare his campaign to President Obama's in 2008 due to his focus on the caucus states, something Romney has not contested heavily to this point.

Washington Results:
Ron Paul - 38%
Mitt Romney - 37%
Rick Perry - 24%

March 6th: In the biggest day of the primary season, each candidate has reasons to declare victory, only suggested a prolonged primary season. Congressman Paul picked up wins in North Dakota and Vermont, while also coming close in Virginia. Governor Romney maintained the Northeast and won the crucial Ohio primary. Rick Perry held the South by strong margins.

Alaska Results:
Ron Paul - 39%
Mitt Romney - 34%
Rick Perry - 26%

Georgia Results:
Rick Perry - 41%
Mitt Romney - 35%
Ron Paul - 23%

Idaho Results:
Mitt Romney - 52%
Ron Paul - 34%
Rick Perry - 13%

Massachusetts Results:
Mitt Romney - 63%
Ron Paul - 19%
Rick Perry - 17%

North Dakota Results:
Ron Paul - 36%
Mitt Romney - 35%
Rick Perry - 28%

Ohio Results:
Mitt Romney - 40%
Rick Perry - 36%
Ron Paul - 23%

Oklahoma Results:
Rick Perry - 44%
Mitt Romney - 32%
Ron Paul - 23%

Tennessee Results:
Rick Perry - 38%
Mitt Romney - 34%
Ron Paul - 25%

Virginia Results:
Mitt Romney - 53%
Ron Paul - 47%

Vermont Results:
Mitt Romney - 41%
Ron Paul - 37%
Rick Perry - 21%

Had Perry been on the ballot in Virginia, won there, and also have taken Ohio, I think one could make the argument that this is a two-way dogfight. Ron Paul is only going to stay in to prove a point - he has done far better than anyone expected, winning several states, but he doesn't have the resources nor the base to win the needed states. Mitt Romney has performed much weaker than anyone expected, but after tonight's results, I still don't see any way he can lose the nomination.
-Karl Rove

Red - Paul
Lime Green - Romney
Blue - Perry
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »

What is the delegate count thus far?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

I hope Ron Paul is chosen and loose to Obama. A Neo-Con wave takes back the Republican Party and Democrats Govern for twenty four years Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

I have not been able to master how to keep track - if anyone knows of a website or could do it, it would be much appreciated.

I bumped this up simply to finish it - going to try and speedtrack this and have 2012 done by the end of this week. Reader interest will determine whether it extends beyond.
DDGE
Rookie
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:44 AM »

I'd like to see an update! Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies