Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:31:59 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: Hashemite)
| | |-+  Irish Elections - Referendum, Presidential, and General (polling or byelections)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Print
Poll
Question: Which Gay do you support?
Gay Mitchell   -6 (60%)
Gay Byrne   -4 (40%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Irish Elections - Referendum, Presidential, and General (polling or byelections)  (Read 26757 times)
argentarius
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 28, 2012, 06:01:14 am »
Ignore

Looks like the referendum is making people forget the greens exist. Good. I fear however their support is concentrated where I live, Dublin South.
ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:11 am »
Ignore

Looks like the referendum is making people forget the greens exist. Good. I fear however their support is concentrated where I live, Dublin South.

I imagine people are well aware that they exist; it's just that they have no intention of voting for them.

argentarius
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2012, 07:52:08 am »
Ignore

I imagine people are well aware that they exist; it's just that they have no intention of voting for them.
What I meant was they are nowhere to be seen during the referendum while everyone else has posters up.
ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
Ignore

What I meant was they are nowhere to be seen during the referendum while everyone else has posters up.

I think the leadership didn't get enough support at the party convention to take an official stand in support of the treaty (it required 2/3rds support and they got 60%).

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:19 am »
Ignore

Who could Sinn Fein go into coalition with, hypothetically?

SF would go into government with anyone who'd take them.
FG would have the most qualms about it; I think both FF or Labour could make such a deal if needs be.

SF might be more picky (or at least feel that they have the chance to be more picky) next time round.

Their ideal scenario would be that in 2015/16 where things are as bad (or worse) economically as they currently are (despite all the half-truths and general cac tairbh about employment, investment and stability being trotted out in the current referendum campaign) and they are facing three more-or-less equally-discredited "old parties", this would give them the chance to do a SYRIZA and say "we told you so". Their 2008 vote on the bank bailout would be very old news by then. (It's probably old news even now, not that Labour have realised.)

Either you then get a very chastened Labour and still-battered FF as junior partners in a "progressive alliance" (I don't see the ULA as being either able or willing to join a government), or, more likely, you see an "all hands to the tiller" coalition of the old establishment clinging on for dear life in the hope of something turning up.

(Have I mentioned before that I am deeply pessimistic about the future here?)

That "pessimism" though hardly is an unrealistic analysis, we are talking about a situation where for the forseeable future (Oxymoron, surely?) the breakdown of the euro is much more likely than a return to Keltic-Tigah levels of growth.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
Ignore

Conceivably SF could work with any of the parties except FG, no?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:31 am »
Ignore

Conceivably SF could work with any of the parties except FG, no?

Conceivably. But I think unlikely.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:18 am »
Ignore

Early turnout news...

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »
Ignore

Inishfree will not detain the tallymen for long on Friday.

ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »
Ignore

Who could Sinn Fein go into coalition with, hypothetically?

SF would go into government with anyone who'd take them.
FG would have the most qualms about it; I think both FF or Labour could make such a deal if needs be.

SF might be more picky (or at least feel that they have the chance to be more picky) next time round.

Their ideal scenario would be that in 2015/16 where things are as bad (or worse) economically as they currently are (despite all the half-truths and general cac tairbh about employment, investment and stability being trotted out in the current referendum campaign) and they are facing three more-or-less equally-discredited "old parties", this would give them the chance to do a SYRIZA and say "we told you so". Their 2008 vote on the bank bailout would be very old news by then. (It's probably old news even now, not that Labour have realised.)

Either you then get a very chastened Labour and still-battered FF as junior partners in a "progressive alliance" (I don't see the ULA as being either able or willing to join a government), or, more likely, you see an "all hands to the tiller" coalition of the old establishment clinging on for dear life in the hope of something turning up.

(Have I mentioned before that I am deeply pessimistic about the future here?)

That "pessimism" though hardly is an unrealistic analysis, we are talking about a situation where for the forseeable future (Oxymoron, surely?) the breakdown of the euro is much more likely than a return to Keltic-Tigah levels of growth.

I see commentary from supposedly reputable economists pooh-poohing the effort required in reducing the debt/GDP ratio to 60% given "modest" nominal GDP growth estimates of 3.5% in a few years time and I wonder if they're in an alternate universe.

My suspicion is that we are going to be made pay dearly for Depfa and Hypo RealEstate. And given that our leaders seem to be intent on being the best little doormats in Europe, the only slim hope for this country is if something changes in the German federal elections next year.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:22:53 pm by ObserverIE »Logged

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:02 am »
Ignore

Anyone know when the votes will start to be counted? Tonight or tomorrow?
argentarius
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:58 am »
Ignore

Anyone know when the votes will start to be counted? Tonight or tomorrow?
Tomorrow morning. First to report will probably be some of the Dublin constituencies, and I guarantee last to report will be Donegal. They're very lazy.
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »
Ignore

I, like (apparently) many people can't work up the enthusiasm to bother voting on this thing. I was leaning "yes", my brother was leaning "no", so since we'd cancel each other out... Wink

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0531/breaking3.html?via=mr

argentarius
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
Ignore

It will be interesting to see which constituency is most yes and which is most no. I think the yes title is once again between my home constituency, Dublin South, and our coastal neighbours, Dun Laoghaire, both constituencies being largely middle class paradises. The most "no" constituency is harder to predict, it could be Dublin North West, which is a working class hellhole which was the only constituency not to elect a Fine Gael TD, or Donegal South West, which elected a Sinn Fein TD and a de-facto Sinn Fein independent TD in the last election, but it's anyone's guess. Only Donegal northeast and southwest voted no to Lisbon 2.
ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:14 pm »
Ignore

It will be interesting to see which constituency is most yes and which is most no. I think the yes title is once again between my home constituency, Dublin South, and our coastal neighbours, Dun Laoghaire, both constituencies being largely middle class paradises. The most "no" constituency is harder to predict, it could be Dublin North West, which is a working class hellhole which was the only constituency not to elect a Fine Gael TD, or Donegal South West, which elected a Sinn Fein TD and a de-facto Sinn Fein independent TD in the last election, but it's anyone's guess. Only Donegal northeast and southwest voted no to Lisbon 2.

At a guess:

High Yes: Dublin South, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin South East, Cork South Central, Mayo (Mayo loves its Messiah), Dublin North, Kildare North, Wicklow

In short: upper-middle class Dublin and Cork and their more prosperous surrounds, along with the Enda-worshippers.

High No: Donegal North East, Donegal South West, Roscommon/South Leitrim, Dublin South Central, Cork North Central, Dublin South West, Dublin North West, Cavan/Monaghan

In short: working-class urban-dwellers and the more alienated areas west of the Shannon.

Overall guess: 62% Yes on a 47% turnout. People are more cynical than in Lisbon 2, but more frightened.

ObserverIE
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »
Ignore

Turnout likely to be well below 50% nationally. It was 52% at my local (very rural) polling station on the Leinster/Ulster border which generally manages 75% in general elections.

Turnout supposedly relatively higher in urban working-class areas which may be ominous for Yes (but then I seem to remember much the same being said on election night about Lisbon II which was 69% Yes).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:49:31 pm by ObserverIE »Logged

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Ignore

"Secret" exit polls predict Yes vote victory by 3-2 margin despite low turnout. No, I don't know what this "secret" thing is all about, and the article does not tell us.

cc: Jas

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:37 am »
Ignore

"Secret" exit polls predict Yes vote victory by 3-2 margin despite low turnout. No, I don't know what this "secret" thing is all about, and the article does not tell us.

cc: Jas

That sort of result, it seems, is the closest thing to conventional wisdom about what the result might be - at least on the side that thinks Yes will win.

I'm pretty doubtful any such exit poll actually exists, but thanks for the pointer.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:06 am »
Ignore

Counting has been underway for just over half an hour.

Very, very early indications suggest to me a single digit win for Yes seems plausible.

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 01, 2012, 03:44:11 am »
Ignore

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2012, 03:46:49 am »
Ignore

Early tallies starting to appear...

Dublin Mid West - 8% Boxes Open: Yes 52% No 48%
Dublin North West: 10% Boxes Open - NO 52% Yes 47%
Wicklow - 17% Boxes Open: Yes 55% No 45%
Laois/Offaly: 9% Boxes Open , Yes 60% No 40%

Unkown how many boxes open...
Wexford: Yes 60% No 40%
Dublin Mid West: Yes 52% No 48%
Dublin North: No 60% Yes 40%

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2012, 03:48:45 am »
Ignore

Dublin South: 7.7% Boxes Open, Yes 69% No 31%
Louth: 10% boxes open, Yes 52.03% No 47.97%

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2012, 03:54:17 am »
Ignore

Limerick County - 60% Boxes Open: Yes 60% No 40%
Limerick City - 70% Boxes Open: Yes 57% No 43%

Funny 'cause it's true:

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:23 am »
Ignore

Mayo - 20% boxes open: Yes 68% No 31%
Dublin South Central - 20% boxes open: NO 67% Yes 32%

Funny 'cause it's true:

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 01, 2012, 04:02:40 am »
Ignore

Why is there a box in the middle there? There are only two options.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout