Northern Ireland Quiz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland Quiz (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northern Ireland Quiz  (Read 4120 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

EASY
Name the current First Minister and deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland the the parties they represent.
FM: Peter Robinson, DUP.
dFM: Martin McGuiness, SF.

Which party won every election to the old Parliament of Northern Ireland?
Ulster Unionists, i.e. UUP

What was "The Troubles"?
A time of violent tensions in Northern Ireland, where religious troubles were very problematic. IRA and republican groups were killing Protestants and UVF and other loyalist groups were killing Catholics. It was a sort-of civil war and could have degenerated in a ethnic war, if UK and Ireland weren't modern states of law.

Who was Bobby Sands?
Some really young guy who died in jail of hunger strike and which was elected MP while being in jail. Very Republican.

MEDIUM
What was "Bloody Sunday" and when did it occur?
A parachute regiment of the Army shot on peaceful protestors asking for equality between Catholics and Protestants. I'll try 1982.

What part of Gerry Adams was banned in the UK and Ireland for a number of years?
A part? I'll say his voice, as it was the only part of him that was dangerous, even if I doubt than Ireland would depreve someone from his freedom to speech.

Name three active Terrorist groups during The Troubles, with at least one being Republican and one Loyalist.
IRA (Irish Republican Army), Republican. UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force), Loyalist. Real IRA, Republican.

What city is sometimes called "Slash City" and why?
Londonderry/Derry? Because neutrality forces the use of the two names and signs have the slash (/) on them?

What is the method of Cabinet Selection in the Assembly?
Seats are given on a proportionnal way. Each time a party is awarded a Cabinet seat, it chooses a cabinet office until all offices are taken. The Justice minister is an exception, since it is elected by a cross-community vote by the Assembly (which guarentees the seat to the Alliance, in fact)

Name the parties currently in Cabinet in Northern Ireland
DUP, UUP, SDLP, SF and Alliance (APNI)

The shaking of hands of which two men brought in the current democratic period for Northern Ireland?
Gerry Adams and Ian Paisley?

HARD

"The Parades" are a controversial event in Northern Ireland. What event do the largest of these commemorate? Bonus points for naming the event that the Apprentice Boys commemorate.
The victory of the ultra-protestant Orange prince over the Irish Catholics. The Apprentice Boys are based in Derry and commemorate some siege, I think.

Who is the official party leader for Sinn Fein in the Assembly (clue, it's not the dFM)
Michelle Gildernew?

Who (which party leader) was literally dragged out of the legislature kicking and screaming in 1986
Gerry Adams?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »

a) North Antrim?

b) Vanguard?

c) Vanguard, again?

d) McCartney? Who renamed the party in UKUP? (I'm probaby saying nonsence, putting together names, parties and patchy memory.)

e) It was the only bill which passed with unanimity?

f) He crossed the floor from unionist to republicanisn?

g) He is a party-switcher. But I don't remember his name. I only remember Oliver Napier.

h) Trimble and Empey?

i) Adams, Gildernew, de Brun, McGuiness and McCartney?

j) Newry and Armagh. They lost to Seamus Mallon.

k) APNI, DUP, UKUP, SF, NIWC, SDLP, UUP, PUP and Huh?

l) I assume it is some party like the UKUP. I remember they collasped in a strange way. It has nothing to do with a cream bun, I hope.

m) SF, Workers' Party and Unionist Party?

n) (London)Derry, Belfast, Armagh, Omagh, Strabane?

o) I read it recently, but I don't remember.

p) Belfast City Hall?

q) God Kills the Queen?

r) Ian Jr and ?

s) UCUNF (United Conservatives and Unionists - New Force).

t) Alderdice?

u) Alliance, Belfast South?

v) Alliance, Belfast West?

w) SDLP?

x) North Down? That place is a hell for Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies