Misery Index High
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:05:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Misery Index High
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Misery Index High  (Read 1422 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

I'm less worried about the rates at which people get new mortgages in the future... they can decide for themselves what they can afford. There is a systematic benefit to reducing the number of mortgage-owners today, and most people have fixed mortgages, who are underwater because it leads to more sales, more freedom of movement, and a healthier economy. The surest way to do that is to raise the general level or prices in the economy to catch up a bit with the rampant housing price inflation that preceded our current crisis, so housing prices, and consequently housing debt, can diminish by comparison.

Don't confuse interest rates with inflation.  They just dropped again.

I was responding to The Vorlon's post about higher interest rates in the future.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »

That sure puts the screws on retirees, though. And a bunch of them already got bent over by the market turmoil.

Many of them are invested in bonds which are paying absurdly low interest rates that don't support them. Social Security is indexed to inflation. I think what we have now for economic policy is overwhelmingly tilted toward seniors. Seniors benefit from economic growth.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »

That sure puts the screws on retirees, though. And a bunch of them already got bent over by the market turmoil.

Many of them are invested in bonds which are paying absurdly low interest rates that don't support them. Social Security is indexed to inflation. I think what we have now for economic policy is overwhelmingly tilted toward seniors. Seniors benefit from economic growth.

With a long delay.  Also, many pensions are not.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies