Person of the Year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:03:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Person of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Person of the Year  (Read 2188 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2004, 08:02:25 PM »

Who do you think it will be?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 08:08:19 PM »

I don't know. There aren't really any stand-out candidates this year, so I'm hoping it will be me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »

I don't know. There aren't really any stand-out candidates this year

I have the same feelings on this issue.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 08:12:04 PM »

But you don't agree with the part about hoping it will be me? I am deeply disappointed and offended.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 08:12:27 PM »

Is there someone who helped a lot with the Florida disasters.

Otherwise give it to Karl Rove.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 08:24:31 PM »

But you don't agree with the part about hoping it will be me? I am deeply disappointed and offended.

Sorry Alcon but you received way too much coverage this year. Let someone else shine.  Smiley

Political Person of the Year is a bit easier but still tough. I think it could go to any one of these three people: President Bush (first Presidential candidate in sixteen years to get over 50% of the vote, 62 million votes...) John Kerry (for an amazing comeback in the Democratic primaries) or Howard Dean (for going from a nobody, to the top spot in the polls and back down in embarrassing defeat. Oh yeah...and that scream incident...).

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 08:25:40 PM »

Sorry Alcon but you received way too much coverage this year. Let someone else shine.  Smiley

Political Person of the Year is a bit easier but still tough. I think it could go to any one of these three people: President Bush (first Presidential candidate in sixteen years to get over 50% of the vote, 62 million votes...) John Kerry (for an amazing comeback in the Democratic primaries) or Howard Dean (for going from a nobody, to the top spot in the polls and back down in embarrassing defeat. Oh yeah...and that scream incident...).

Bush also won by only 3%, the 50% is only because there was no strong 3rd party candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 08:32:34 PM »

Bush also won by only 3%, the 50% is only because there was no strong 3rd party candidate.

Clinton only won the popular vote (in '92) by 5% yet we hear about how big of a win that was, right? As for the 50%, what strong third party candidate prevented Bush from getting over 50% of the vote in 2000?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 08:45:50 PM »

Clinton only won the popular vote (in '92) by 5% yet we hear about how big of a win that was, right? As for the 50%, what strong third party candidate prevented Bush from getting over 50% of the vote in 2000?

Ralph Nader received 2.73% of the vote, Buchanan had some effect, and the Libertarian didn't suck.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 08:51:03 PM »

Ralph Nader received 2.73% of the vote, Buchanan had some effect, and the Libertarian didn't suck.

But that didn't prevent Bush from getting 50%. All I'm saying is that the third party challenge wasn't the problem for Bush when it came to getting a majority of the vote and it certainly wasn't the problem this time so he a) did a great job turning out Republicans   and  b) was able to get a decent amount of support from Dems (even though he's been very unpopular with the majority of Dems).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 09:08:30 PM »

Well, they aren't going to pick a loser, so Dean & Kerry are out (unless Dean becomes DNC Chairman before the close of the year).

Who else could they pick other than Bush?

Allawi?  Don't kid with me.

Past American Politicians to become Man of the Year:

2001:  Rudy (9/11)
2000:  George W. Bush
1998:  Bill Clinton (with Ken Starr)
1995:  Newt Gingrich
1992:  Bill Clinton
1990:  George H.W. Bush
1983:  Ronald Reagan
1980:  Ronald Reagan
1976:  Jimmy Carter
1972:  Richard Nixon
1971:  Richard Nixon
1967:  Lyndon Johnson
1964:  Lyndon Johnson
1961:  John F. Kennedy
1959:  Dwight D. Eisenhower (also Man of the Year in 1944)
1954:  John Foster Dulles
1948:  Harry Truman
1947:  George Marshall (also in 1943)
1945:  Harry Truman
1941:  FDR
1934:  FDR
1932:  FDR

Considering how much the election dominated the news this year, I don't really see any choice but someone election-related, whether it be George Bush, Karl Rove, Michael Moore, or Zombie Reagan.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 09:39:36 PM »

Only one person has a real claim on Man of the Year.  George Bush won the biggest election since 1968, an election that would have decided whether we are an assertive world power or a weak pawn of entangling alliances.  Anyone have a bigger news story than the election?

Yeah, gotta be Bush.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 10:06:11 PM »

If the UN had booted Kofi Anan, as it should have, he would have been Man of the Year, as he would have symbolized a real chance for change there because of his ouster.

I can't see Time making Bush again.  They alreafy gave it to him in 2000 for winning an election, and elections aren't everything, or at least American elections aren't everything.  Given what happened in the Russian and Ulrainian elections this year and as well, the tragedy of Beslan, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on Vladimir Putin being named Man of the Year.
Trilobyte

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 10:11:54 PM »

I'm not saying he deserves it, but I think Bush will be Person of the Year. TIME has a record of giving the title to election winners. And every two-term president since FDR has earned the title twice.

Although, if they want a break from politics, there is an outside chance of them picking the Red Sox Team for the title.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 10:22:06 PM »

It won't be the Red Sox notion.  2002-2003 marrked the first time that Time didn't pick a single person two years in a row.  The one thing that is absolutely certain is that there will be a single Person of the Year.  Bush might get it, but I think Putin has the better shot, particularly given the timing of the Ukrainian re-runoff in late December.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies