Official 2011-2012 Club Soccer/Football thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:00:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Official 2011-2012 Club Soccer/Football thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Author Topic: Official 2011-2012 Club Soccer/Football thread  (Read 63167 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2011, 11:30:16 PM by Gonna see what life's like w/o a sig for a few days »

Since the Premier League started again last weekend and the Champion's League qualifying rounds are currently happening. And of course Phil can feel free to talk about Serie A or whatever.

I've somewhat arbitrarily, somewhat not, decided to support Arsenal for the rest of my life starting this season, a decision which has already proven to be depressing and worrisome, which in the end is perhaps all we can hope for when following a sports team.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »

I typically support Liverpool in the EPL who incidentally play Arsenal tomorrow morning. Arsenal really looks on a downward trajectory. We shall see.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »

First real derby in 49 years coming up on sunday.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:17:40 AM »

Some Eintracht supporter once told me that there is not much hate, or even rivalry, towards the FSV, and that he actually enjoys to visit their home matches and roots for them. Is that true / representative for Eintracht fans?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

Today is derby day for us. About twenty minutes in and nil nil.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »

Bah, humbug.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »

Liverpool have to be aggressive and go for three here. Frimpong is dying to get a red card.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »

Some Eintracht supporter once told me that there is not much hate, or even rivalry, towards the FSV, and that he actually enjoys to visit their home matches and roots for them. Is that true / representative for Eintracht fans?
Well, actually going to the occasional FSV match instead of forever talking about it and maybe getting to it once a year is not representative, no. Tongue (And even then, it's probably limited to us actual city dwellers, rather than the suburbanites.) I had a phase when I went to the FSV fairly regularly; then again that was a time when Stepanovic was gone from Eintracht and FSV were finally winning promotion to 2nd division again (you may recall how that turned out). And I was still living in Bornheim, and was an active member of the FSV's hockey department.

Their is not much hate, or even rivalry, left. It's all too long ago. The FSV was relegated from the old Oberliga Süd in 1962, a year before the Bundesliga was formed, and had been a bottom-dweller there for much of the second half of its existence (the last duel was actually a cup tie... in december 62. 16 years before I was born to the day, as a matter of fact. Of course, there've been competitive matches of Eintracht II vs FSV and also Eintracht II vs FSV II since, but it doesn't count). Their last win against Eintracht was in 1955. It's a small miracle the club survived and maintained it's clear no.2 position at all, really.
If you look through the archives at sports coverage of the 20s and 30s though... um wow. It seems to have been one of the most hateful derbies around back in its day.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quelle: http://kid-klappergass.blogspot.com/ der beste Fußballblog, den ich kenne.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

Arsenal are in shambles. Wenger needs to go.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »

He needs to shoot the lock off his wallet.

They have to go up to Old Trafford next week too. And of course they could crash out of the Champions League this week.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »

Are you really going to find a better manager somewhere?

I'm excited to see how Chelsea will choke away a shot at a championship to Man. United this year. It's something different every year, so at least that's exciting. Although if they somehow win the Champions League, it'd be pretty much the sweetest vindication ever. Not holding my breath, though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »

Let's just not confuse this with the Euro thread! That deserves to be separate.

And of course Phil can feel free to talk about Serie A or whatever.

I think this is why I always stopped myself from creating this type of thread. It will be me and occasionally another person commenting on Serie A.  Tongue

Here's to a total collapse this Wednesday then when they face Udinese.  Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »

Let's just not confuse this with the Euro thread!
Yes. This will be for everybody's ramblings about the League football of their choice. Heck, if anybody cared they could even discuss US league football here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

Even though La Liga and Serie A players might be striking, Napoli's Friendly with Barcelona is still on.  Smiley  Here's hoping my guys can put on a good show!

Heck, if anybody cared they could even discuss US league football here.

No. I'll petition that this thread gets deleted if that catches on.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »

Well, DC United is doing miserable this season so need to comment on MLS. Tongue

Of course so is Arsenal. Luckily there's a solution to that... Maybe not always being incredibly unlucky would be nice too. The two stretches when Arsenal was playing really well (the beginning and from 65 or so) were ended by an unlucky injury and that idiot getting a red card.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »

That was anticlimactic.
Though it mirrors the result of the very last league game before then.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »

Which part of the city do the fans of the smaller club come from? Or no real pattern?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2011, 01:40:39 PM by i wish to register a complaint against this goblin »

Traditionally Bornheim. It's where the club is from. How true it is exactly I cannot say, probably some truth to it EDIT: make that "certainly some truth to it. Certainly they're all from the city proper. (In a blog comment I read yesterday, somebody was shockedly reporting the sighting of an FSV jersey in Dortelweil, not exactly an outer suburb.) Matters get more complex because FSV attendances are very low in absolute terms but a lot higher than they used to be - I've been to games in the 90s with ~400 people in the unreconstructed Bornheimer Hang ground, which could hold 15,000. But the club's 100% (in Frankfurt) name rec. and a general sympathy for it always existed. So there was always a degree of dormant fan potential, and these things tend to be passed down in families irrespective of current domicile.
And then there's the issue of just how ridiculously close the FSV and Eintracht "homes" are to each other (though Eintracht moved there in the 20s, starting out on a meadow where the Holzhausenviertel now is, and stopped playing their games there in the 60s when they moved south of the river. The youth teams etc still play at the Riederwald though, in the part that's technically in Seckbach.)

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Frankfurter-Volksbank-Stadion&hl=de&ll=50.130813,8.729925&spn=0.009023,0.022724&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 02:55:48 AM »

Didn't really foresee myself making a MLS comment... but it's nice to see Robbie Keane get a well taken debut goal for LA Galaxy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 03:03:59 AM »

Last year I decided that I would support Hamilton Academical because they had the best name in Britain. They were promptly relegated to the First Division. Accies are in first place for now, though.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »

Didn't really foresee myself making a MLS comment... but it's nice to see Robbie Keane get a well taken debut goal for LA Galaxy.

I would have preferred to see Robbie in hoops. However, I wish him the best in the California sun while Celtic are losing at home to St Johnstone....ugh.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »

Last year I decided that I would support Hamilton Academical because they had the best name in Britain. They were promptly relegated to the First Division. Accies are in first place for now, though.

Accies is good but for me Inverness Caledonian Thistle edges a win there.
I regret though that they no longer dance on the streets of Total Network Solutions.

I would have preferred to see Robbie in hoops. However, I wish him the best in the California sun while Celtic are losing at home to St Johnstone....ugh.

I'm not sure at what point I stopped paying any attention whatever to SPL - but it's been a while. I'm now vaguely aware who the defending champions are from year to year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

Napoli getting destroyed in our Friendly against Barcelona. It's 5-0...and there is still ten minutes left on the clock.  Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »

The final leg of the Champions League playoff round starts today. The more interesting games are tomorrow  but today's Zurich vs. Bayern Munich should be good.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »

Probably a dumb question, but could someone describe the stylistic differences in play among the major leagues? I've heard the Premier League is fast and Serie A is plodding; is that accurate?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies